Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47525 - 08/01/03 09:48 PM Remote question
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
Hello all! Just received my 950 today, and I've been playing with it since UPS bungled it to my house (don't ask).

Anyway, I programmed the remote with all my favorite commands, and am trying to use it to control my system so I can hide the other 4 remotes.

The problem is, whenever I switch remote modes, it also switches to that mode on the 950. It also brings the unit out of standby.

Is there any way to switch modes on the remote without switching modes on the 950? It's kind of silly to have to bury the remote's IR xmitter in the couch every time I want to switch modes.

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#47526 - 08/02/03 02:15 AM Re: Remote question
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nostalgia:
Hello all! Just received my 950 today, and I've been playing with it since UPS bungled it to my house (don't ask).

Anyway, I programmed the remote with all my favorite commands, and am trying to use it to control my system so I can hide the other 4 remotes.

The problem is, whenever I switch remote modes, it also switches to that mode on the 950. It also brings the unit out of standby.

Is there any way to switch modes on the remote without switching modes on the 950? It's kind of silly to have to bury the remote's IR xmitter in the couch every time I want to switch modes.

-Joe

Joe,

I got my fiance an entry-level Harman Kardon and its remote has the same problem. And I agree, it's extremely annoying. Especially if, say, you turn off the 950 first, forgetting to turn off some other device; so you need to switch modes to turn off the device and the 950 comes back on.

Unfortunately, I think it's a limitation of the remote and there's little you can do except upgrade to a third-party remote. Frankly, while the 950's remote should serve well enough in the short term, eventually you'd probably be better making the upgrade.

As I've mentioned before, a very good bargain is the Marantz RC2000 MK II (not the Mk I). This was my remote of choice before I got my Lexicon 700t, and I still use my old Marantz in my bedroom with no complaints.

Perhaps in a few months, once your finances have recovered from this investment of yours ( ), you should invest in a new remote.

BTW, welcome to the world of quality separates. Unfortunately, the assumption with separates is that you've spent the money on nice components, so you'll probably be spending the money on a nice remote, and why drive up the costs making a good remote when you're not going to use it, anyway.

I mean, look at my MC-12. Fantastic surround processor: quite possibly the best you can get at any price. And yet, it has one of the worst remote controls I've ever used. I can't stand to use it, and it was the first remote I memorized with my Marantz: just so I could stop using it.

Or putting it another way: the crummy Outlaw remote isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Jeff

#47527 - 08/02/03 09:39 AM Re: Remote question
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by D'Arbignal:

As I've mentioned before, a very good bargain is the Marantz RC2000 MK II...
Perhaps in a few months, once your finances have recovered from this investment of yours ( ), you should invest in a new remote.

Well, Liz (the W in my WAF) didn't like the RC2000 when I showed it to her, so oh well.
I think I'll save the $150 and put it toward speakers first. I can deal with the remote for now. If this is the biggest problem I have with the 950, I'm not going to complain.

-Joe

------------------

#47528 - 08/02/03 11:19 AM Re: Remote question
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
You've discovered the same problem a lot of us have. Shy of buying a new remote, you may find that by burying the front of the remote in your shirt before pressing a source button works. Another thing I don't understand is why Outlaw didn't put the numbers 0 through +10 on the round buttons and the surround functions on the rectangular buttons,(just switch them). That way all their functions would have been illuminated when pressing the "light" key. I'm not an engineer, but doesn't that make more sense?

#47529 - 08/02/03 11:55 AM Re: Remote question
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Well, there are other programmable remotes out there: some costing as little as $10. Perhaps you can find something you both like, or perhaps you can find two: one for you and one for the W.

Jeff

#47530 - 08/02/03 03:25 PM Re: Remote question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
A few thoughts here...

One: As has been pointed out, covering the front of the remote can prevent the 950 from switching modes. It's a little annoying and I always feel sort of silly doing it, but it's quick and effective.

Two: If you are running into the problem because of a few specific commands (like switching to stereo bypass mode or the 6 CH input), the macro buttons may be helpful. I set up M4 to switch to 6 CH for DVD-Audio playback, for example. It's a limited fix, but it can be a real time-saver for specific commands.

Three: While the 950 remote's input switching didn't really cause much trouble in my setup (especially after I added a couple of macros), I did recently upgrade to a different remote. My wife and I used a Sony RM-AV2100 for a while, but didn't really like it a lot. We have been very pleased with the Home Theater Master MX-500 (a relative of the 950's remote, but with some major refinements). It's available from a few good online sources for around $110, and is a great remote.

Interesting side note... With the MX-500, I still have the device buttons set up to switch inputs on the 950. It can be very convenient, and it makes the system quite a bit easier for my wife to use -- saves her having to switch to a separate device and hunt down the input command before going to control the DVD player or the cable box.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#47531 - 08/02/03 05:19 PM Re: Remote question
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yea, it's not really a big deal, just an annoyance. The real annoyance is the navigation cluster that shares commands with the play, pause, stop, ff and rew buttons. That's a pain. I can either navigate a DVD menu, or control the DVD playback, but not both. But, life goes on.

-Joe

#47532 - 08/02/03 05:27 PM Re: Remote question
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Besides, once you actually hear your 950, I suspect you won't be as hard on it for its one shortcoming. :-)

Jeff

#47533 - 08/02/03 05:39 PM Re: Remote question
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Oh no, I'm not hard on it at all. Nothing's going to be perfect. I was just hoping for a more dignified workaround

-Joe

------------------

#47534 - 08/02/03 08:16 PM Re: Remote question
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, US
What I actually did for the DVD playback/navigate issue was to program the 2, 5, 6, 9, and 4 buttons for up, enter, right, down, and left buttons. Seems to work ok, and everything is accessible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM