Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#47537 - 08/01/03 09:54 PM Video conversion
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Hopatcong, NJ 07849
Hey again, all. Just a question that the manual wasn't too clear on.

For all of the video inputs, the 950 has available S-video or composite in. There is also S-Video or composite out. If I have a mixture of video inputs, will the 950 switch the output based on which type of input I have connected?

ie, can I safely connect both the composite out and s-video out from the 950 to the same video inputs on my monitor, or will both be driven at once?

Thanks!

-Joe

#47538 - 08/02/03 01:00 AM Re: Video conversion
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Hi Joe!

I’m no good with cabling unless I sitting right behind all my units in person. I need the visual to sort it out since I have not been doing this for myself that long.

I use Occam's Cabling
"one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of [cables] required to [do] anything."

I keep my video straight from sources to display only routing audio through my 950.
But I believe the 950 cross converts any composite/S-video signals so no matter what inputs on the 950 you use, - If you run S-video in from a DVD player and composite in from VHS, and your display has S-video, under the noraml assumption that S-video is your higher quality connect use only the S-video monitor output from the 950 to the display, Whichever hookup you use on an individual source (composite or S) will always be routed both to the composite and s-video outputs, so you need use only one of the two outputs (Comp or S) to get your signal to your display.

Be aware the 950 does not upconvert from composite or s-video to component you need to come component in/component out for any source with component outputs.. As regards digital audio connections you only want to choose one cable or the other (digital coaxial or optical) recommended by Outlaw so attempting to use both (I assume) must disable one or “fight’ with the other.

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited August 02, 2003).]

#47539 - 08/02/03 02:04 AM Re: Video conversion
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nostalgia:
Hey again, all. Just a question that the manual wasn't too clear on.

For all of the video inputs, the 950 has available S-video or composite in. There is also S-Video or composite out. If I have a mixture of video inputs, will the 950 switch the output based on which type of input I have connected?

ie, can I safely connect both the composite out and s-video out from the 950 to the same video inputs on my monitor, or will both be driven at once?

Thanks!

-Joe

Joe,

My guess is that both inputs will be running in parallel, and that connecting both an S-Video and a composite input is just asking for trouble. And since the 950 seems to convert from one to the other and back, may I recommend that you just use one or the other for each input device?

Jeff

P.S. Nostaligia: isn't that the name of a really cool emulator?

#47540 - 08/02/03 02:05 AM Re: Video conversion
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

P.S. SLL's "Occam's Cabling" practice is a good one. Remember, every cable you add increases the chance of introducing a ground loop or magnetic interference. Therefore, keeping the connections to the minimum is a wise idea.

Jeff

#47541 - 08/02/03 09:45 AM Re: Video conversion
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Well, the reason I ask is because I have a bunch of components I'd like to switch, and they're mixed component and S-Video.

I assumed what Lena and Jeff said, that both outputs would be driven at all times. What made me curious about how it worked was, when I opened the box for the 950, there was a piece of paper on top. Here's a quote:

"...we discuss its ability to convert composite video signals to S-video. While this feature is available, we recommend that whenever possible you always make direct connections between your video sources, the Model 950 and your video display...Should conversion be required, the S-Video to composite circuits are also available, but again, "native" video connections (such as composite in and composite out), will always produce superior quality images."

That made me think it switched one for the other based on the input. Maybe we need an Outlaw to set us straight.

-Joe

------------------
Remember the Intellivision?
http://www.gotmaille.com/nostalgia/

#47542 - 08/02/03 10:44 AM Re: Video conversion
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Oh, and Nostalgia is the name of a *Killer* Intellivision emulator

-Joe

------------------

#47543 - 08/02/03 03:18 PM Re: Video conversion
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
What that piece of paper is saying is that the 950 will convert between s-video as needed, but it is recommended that you try to eliminate that additional step of work for the sake of getting optimal video quality. I would not connect to both the s-video and composite ports on any single input or output (as D'Arbignal points out, doing so with both inputs functional will most likely screw up the video signal -- and possibly even some of the hardware, as well). If you have a TV with s-video input and a DVD player with s-video output but your VCR only supports composite, I'd use s-video for the monitor out and the DVD input and use composite for the VCR. The 950 will upconvert the VCR's signal to s-video to the monitor out. Ideally, use s-video for as many devices as possible and use composite only when necessary. (As an aside, if your TV has composite only, I'd use composite for everything, but it sounds like this is not the case for you.)

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#47544 - 08/02/03 05:30 PM Re: Video conversion
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
What that piece of paper is saying is that the 950 will convert between s-video as needed, but it is recommended that you try to eliminate that additional step of work for the sake of getting optimal video quality. I would not connect to both the s-video and composite ports on any single input or output (as D'Arbignal points out, doing so with both inputs functional will most likely screw up the video signal -- and possibly even some of the hardware, as well). If you have a TV with s-video input and a DVD player with s-video output but your VCR only supports composite, I'd use s-video for the monitor out and the DVD input and use composite for the VCR. The 950 will upconvert the VCR's signal to s-video to the monitor out. Ideally, use s-video for as many devices as possible and use composite only when necessary. (As an aside, if your TV has composite only, I'd use composite for everything, but it sounds like this is not the case for you.)

Joe's TV actually is progressive. At some point, it'd probably be worth getting an iScan and then running the whole thing through component video. That's what I do with my system: progressive scan DVD player uses component, secondary non-progressive dvd player uses S-Video to my iScan, VCR uses composite to my iScan, and my recently sold laserdisc player used S-Video to my iScan. Then I simply use the component out from the iScan as the video source for the VCR, laserdisc, and secondary DVD player.

Jeff

#47545 - 08/02/03 05:42 PM Re: Video conversion
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

Right, I had considered a line doubler. What I was hoping is to find a way to not have to switch my TV mode to do different things. I don't think that's going to happen, though. I could get everything down to three TV modes (RF for the cable, composite for my 3 game systems and VCR, component for the DVD player), but that's about it.

-Joe

------------------

#47546 - 08/04/03 04:36 PM Re: Video conversion
Nostalgia Offline
Gunslinger

In case anyone's curious, I found the section of the manual that describes this. I missed it the last six times I read throught the thing.

You all are correct. The video signal is simultaneously output to the composite and S-video outs.

-Joe

------------------

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts