Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47335 - 07/19/03 12:04 PM New to it all..............
NMyTree Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Kannapolis, NC
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum, and still a beginner to the whole A/V world. I'm putting together an Audio system, and a Home Theater system; both exclusive from each other ( in different rooms in the house). I've been doing some research, and I've done a few listenings of different components and speakers. As many people do (except those who have the really deep pockets), I'm trying to put together a really great sounding systems, but at the best monetary deals possible.

I was hoping that maybe some of you could offer your opinions on PreAmp/Processors and Amplifiers. I would prefer to go with seperates. There are just so many out there, that it gets a bit mind-boggling trying to determine which one suits my tastes and budget the best.

I like a warm sound for Audio. I have about 700 CD's.

I want DD and DTS for my Home Theater, in at least 6.1. I have over 350 DVD movies, and about 80 Laser Discs.

I don't know how anyone else does it, but I started by purchasing my speaker system's first.

For strictly Audio: I have the PARADIGM MONITOR 9 v.3's (Maximum Power Input 150 Watts) (Suitable Amplifier Power Range 15-200 watts)

For Home Theater: I have the PARADIGM SYSTEM ONE.

(Front)PARADIGM STUDIO 40's (Suitable 15-180 watts) (Max. 140 watts)

(CENTER) STUDIO/CC (Suitable 15-175 watts) (Max. 130 watts)

(REAR) STUDIO ADP's (Suitable and Max same as Center Channel)

(SUB) PW2200

Now, I've been looking at the Rotel RSP-1066 Pre-Amp Processor, and the OUTLAW 950..... for my Home Theater. I have also been considering the ANTHEM AVM 20, but it seems a bit out of my price range.

Does anyone have an opinion on these three components? Pros? Cons? Other suggestions for me to consider, in a Processor/PreAmp?

I'm trying to stay in the $800.00-$1,000.00 range for this component.

Amplifiers. I want to Bi-Amp on the Audio System. What range of power best suits Bi Amping my Monitor 9 v.3 ? I've been considering an OUTLAW Amp for my Audio system, but I'm not sure which one best suits these speakers.

What range of power best suits driving my Home Theater system? Which includes a Sub that is not self-powered.

I currently have a MARANTZ VC5200 DVD player, and a Pioneer CLD-D606 Laser Disc player.

I hope I provided enough information for you, and I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions. But I really would like to hear some opinions and thoughts; and hopefully I'll learn something.

Thanks in advance!

#47336 - 07/19/03 01:53 PM Re: New to it all..............
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Gonk is the resident Paradigm expert, so he can no doubt suggest crossover point selection, etc., in addition to the myriad other things he does.

Soundhound is the stereo expert. He'll probably suggest a seperate, tube stereo preamp and can help with the connection scheme. (and he's almost always right)

I'd suggest 2-755 amps and the 950 pre/pro. The Anthem is way out of your posted budget. The Rotel, though a good product from a good Company, is more dough, less warranty, has a non-fixable double bass problem and the differece in price pays for nearly half of one of the 755 amps from a better Company. Plus...the Forum.

1-755 5 channel, 200WPC to power front L/R, center, rear L/R

1- 755 to power the bi-amped audio system (I assume you meant stereo) and 1 back surround (to make the system 6.1).

1- 950 Pre/Pro to control stereo and AC-3 laser discs, DD, DD-EX, DTS, DTS-ES DVDs, 5.1 DTS CDs, stereo and multi-channel SACDs and multi-channel DVD-As, both with built-in bass management, and it will perform with the best of them when properly set up.

Stereo (LPs and CDs) ain't my thing, but I would have to say the 950 is more detailed than 'warm', but the multi-channel music formats listed above sound definitely on the warm side through the 950.

As my name implies, I can help (usually) with the low freqs, BUT...if you buy the Rotel, lie and say you bought the 950 to avoid the surcharge for advice to 'Rotellites'

This post is a bit of a ramble...hope some of it helps.

[This message has been edited by bossobass (edited July 19, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by bossobass (edited July 19, 2003).]

#47337 - 07/19/03 02:12 PM Re: New to it all..............
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Does anyone have an opinion on these three components? Pros? Cons? Other suggestions for me to consider, in a Processor/PreAmp?

Both Outlaw and Rotel target a specific niche that I like to call the high bang-for-the-buck niche. They're not all-out-assault, money-is-no-object makers, but neither are they your common mass-produced garbage. Instead, they both make products that I feel are outstanding values.

So basically, if money is an object (and it is for most people) but you still want high quality gear, both Rotel and Outlaw are excellent choices. In principle, Outlaw can offer you even better value-for-the-dollar than Rotel because Outlaw eliminates the retail store with its inherent mark-up. In practice, I haven't listened to enough products from either manufacturer to verify that this is the case.

Either way, you won't go wrong.

Now, you mention that you like a warm sound for audio. In that case (cue SoundHound), you may want to give a listen to a tubed-preamp.

There are two main camps in high-end audio: tubed and solid-state. The solid-state guys (like me) are purists: they want the music or film to sound exactly as the sound recording engineers intended; no better, and no worse. The tubed guys (like Sound Hound) want the best possible sound, even if it means that the sound is being altered to produce better sound.

Since you seem to prefer a warmer sound, tubes may very well be the right choice for you, and I'll leave it to SoundHound to list a few brands worth considering.

Jeff

#47338 - 07/19/03 02:30 PM Re: New to it all..............
NMyTree Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thank you bossobass! I appreciate your opinion and advice.

I think I may have incorrectly described what I want for my Home Theater system. You see, I'm a bit confused by all the terminology. When I stated 6.1, I thought that encompassed 2 Fronts, 1 Center, 2 Rears, and my Subwoofer. But I have a feeling that I have a misconception regarding 5.1, 6.1 and so on.

Does the 5 (in 5.1) mean 2 Fronts, 2 Rears, 1 Center, and the .1 regarding the Sub? If so, then that's what I want, and what I should have written. Not 6.1

With my Audio set up (PARADIGM Monitor 9 v.3) I will only have a stereo set up (2 speakers). There will be no other surround or Subwoofer involved.

I looked at the 755, and I was wondering how I would hook the Subwoofer up to that Amp? On the back there didn't seem to be an input/output for a Subwoofer. But most likely I'm missing something here, and my ignorance is showing...LOL

As for the Rotel, I just read something about that Double Bass Management issue on epinions (after I wrote the above post), and that has basically excluded the Rotel from my candidates. Thank you for the heads up, anyway. I appreciate it!

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by NMyTree (edited July 19, 2003).]

#47339 - 07/19/03 02:30 PM Re: New to it all..............
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I'm afraid I can't offer specific tube preamp suggestions, but brands like Audio Research, Conrad Johnson and the like come to mind. A visit to the Stereophile website would probably have links to all the manufacturers that make tube gear. Aside from the Outlaw preamp, I haven't bought a piece of consumer gear in years, as I usually make my own stuff as the need arises.

The Soundhound Theater

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited July 19, 2003).]

#47340 - 07/19/03 02:44 PM Re: New to it all..............
NMyTree Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

D'Arbignal,

Okay, once again I believe I have mispresented myself, with the wrong terminology. When I said "warm" I didn't mean a sound that was altered or changed, such as you described with tube amps. I don't want a tube amp.

In my mind, I meant an amp and processor that delivers the closest possible sound, to what was intended by the recording engineer. A sound that does not color or enhance, but simply reads and delivers. As you stated in your post.

Sorry for the incorrect wording, and thank you for bearing with me on this.

Oh boy, I still have so much to learn.

#47341 - 07/19/03 07:30 PM Re: New to it all..............
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
OK... you'll have a bi-amped stereo setup along with a 5.1 multi-channel setup.

The sub has it's own amplifier built in. It connects to the 950's subwoofer output.

That leaves need for 9 additional amplifiers. Front R/L (2), center (1), rear R/L (2) and bi-amped stereo (4).

That would be taken care of nicely by 1-755 and 4-M200 monoblocks for a total of 9 amps @ 200 WPC for less than a buck a watt.

#47342 - 07/19/03 07:54 PM Re: New to it all..............
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I was same time typing as Bossobass and he swooped my amp answer. However one recommendation, are you considering at any time soon to turn your HT into a 7.1 system? If so then consider the 7100 or 770 for that side.
With so much amplification to buy (at once) you could also consider delaying bi-amping your stereo system and get away with 2 M-blocks to start. Just leave your jumpers on.

5 (in 5.1) mean…? Yes, Two fronts/center/L/R surround/LFE
6.1 plus one rear surround
7.1 plus two rear surrounds

#47343 - 07/19/03 10:25 PM Re: New to it all..............
NMyTree Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

bossobass,

Of course you're correct, the Paradigm PW2200 is Self-Powered. I don't know why I had it in my head , that it wasn't. But I see what you're saying. The other speakers will be connected to the Amplifier, while the PW2200 will connect with the 950 Processor.

" 1-755 and 4-M200 monoblocks for a total of 9 amps @ 200 WPC for less than a buck a watt. "

I like the sound of that idea! I took a look at the M200 and that seems like a very resonable way to go. I'm seriously considering it.

Will my Monitor 9 v.3's be okay with that kind of wattage coming from the M200 in a Bi-Amp set-up (2-M200 per speaker)? Do you think they can handle that kind of power, considering the Monitor 9's threshold that is listed in my first post? I read a lot comments about the Monitor series, which claimed they do very well with lower wattage. One person even stated these speakers... " like lower wattage" .

You see, I already have my Monitor 9 v.3's in the house, but I'm waiting on the Paradigm Studio Series System One to come in. I was originally to buy the versions of those speakers that have been available for the last year or two, but my dealer gave me the option of purchasing the ones that have been out (at a slightly reduced price), or waiting another month or so (sometime in early August?) for Paradigm to release the latest and reportedly improved version of the Studio Series line( slight price increase).
Paradigm has a new Signature Series coming out (way out of my price range), and from what I hear, they have trickled down the improvements to the Studio Series. So, I decided to purchase this updated version of the Studio Series. Hopefully, they'll be released and shipped soon.

Smart Little Lena, I'm not really interested in 6.1 and 7.1 right now. I'm sure I don't understand the benefits of having 1 or 2 more Surround speakers, on top of the 5.1. I am open to opinions on the subject, and I'll certainly do some research and reading on it; along with discussing it with my dealer. You make a good point, and I should consider those options for future purposes.

If I do go with the 755 Amplifier, and later decide to opt for 6.1 or 7.1, maybe I can just pick up one or two more M200's. Yes? The 950 should be able to handle that, it is a 7.1 Processor. What do you folks think?

And yes, I'm sure I will be holding off on the Bi-Amping, until I get these systems all together. I guess I will piece it together and make the adjustments, as the components come in.

Afterall, I will still need a quality Processor for my strictly Audio system. Any suggestions?

Thanks again, for your help! It's much appreciated!

[This message has been edited by NMyTree (edited July 19, 2003).]

#47344 - 07/20/03 01:18 AM Re: New to it all..............
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by NMyTree:
I'm sure I don't understand the benefits of having 1 or 2 more Surround speakers, on top of the 5.1. I am open to opinions on the subject
Going beyond a 5.1-speaker set-up has tangible benefits. How much of a difference you'll hear when going from 5.1 to 7.1 will depend on a lot of factors: room, speaker placement, processing, etc. But even with simple EX/ES decoding, I think it's worth going beyond a 5.1 speaker layout for three reasons: imaging, envelopment and stability. Follow:

The distinct side vs rear imaging you'll get using 4 surround speakers will be difficult, if not impossible, to achieve using only 2 surround speakers. No magic involved: sounds from the sides will actually come from speakers located there and sounds from the rear will come from speakers behind you. Also, 4 speakers allow for much more precise localization in the surround field, while the individual speakers themselves are less noticeable than if you were only using 2.

All other things being equal, you'll definitely get better envelopment using 4 speakers in a smooth 180 degree arc in the rear hemisphere compared to using just 2 surround speakers. With twice the number of speakers firing at you, a diffuse and ambient surroundfield can be achieved using even direct-firing monopoles. I really appreciate this with music in surround. Plus, level controls allow listeners to weight the ambience more to the sides or behind, depending on personal preference.

Also keep in mind that more 'hard' sources means less reliance on phantom imaging. No matter where you are sitting on your couch, sounds intended to come from behind you will always appear to come from behind you; not some side-ish, rear-ish location. Fancy psychoacoustic processing? Nope. Just a pair of speakers physically located behind you (makes it hard for those sounds to come from any other direction). Stable imaging like that, either to your sides or behind you, is really not possible with only 2 surround speakers.
Quote:
If I do go with the 755 Amplifier, and later decide to opt for 6.1 or 7.1, maybe I can just pick up one or two more M200's. Yes?
Absolutely yes. Start with a 5.1 set-up now; later (whenever you're comfortable) get a couple more surround speakers and a stereo amp or two more M200s.

Best,
Sanjay

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 119 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts