Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#47252 - 07/14/03 11:23 PM Back Surround Speakers
OFCCM Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hueytown, Al. 35023
Ok since my first question got such a great response I will move on to my next subject. When I get the Outlaw, If I decide to go from 5.1 to 6 channels (either one or 2 rear surrounds) is there a great need to match the back surround. Also do I even need to consider the 6th channel in a 14' by 24' room. I have matched up the 5 channels fairly close with full range speakers of the same manufacturer. Due to exit doors in the room the side channels (what is currently my rear in 5.1) are slightly back and to the sides from the listening position. I could put 2 small speakers in each corner in the rear of the room or a center speaker in the middle of the rear but they are really going to only be about 4 feet back from the side speakers which does not lead me to believe I will get a lot of good from going to the 6 channel set up. As I have not had a chance to hear a 6 or 7 speaker setup I am not sure if I am wasting my time and money. I have plenty of Amps to cover the rear so there is not an additional expense except for speakers.

#47253 - 07/14/03 11:40 PM Re: Back Surround Speakers
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Adding two rear surround speakers is a definite step up in surround envelopment, even when using "EX" processing to play non-EX movies. The Dolby website has some recommendations for the placement of the rear surrounds. I don't follow it exacty - I devide my rear wall into 3rds and place the rears accordingly.

#47254 - 07/15/03 01:50 AM Re: Back Surround Speakers
OFCCM Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Soundhound,

I assume you are running a 6 speaker configuration instead of 7 then. This is something that may fit better with my layout than the seven and still get me the EX. My next problem would be finding an out of production center speaker matching my system or a single of one of my mains. That is if It is worth it matching for the rear.

#47255 - 07/15/03 02:23 AM Re: Back Surround Speakers
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by OFCCM:
I assume you are running a 6 speaker configuration instead of 7 then.
If he's dividing his rear wall into thirds, then he's got two surround-back speakers. Doesn't that mean a 7 speakers set-up, not 6.

Sanjay

#47256 - 07/15/03 11:09 AM Re: Back Surround Speakers
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
IMHO, if you already have the processing and the amplification available, use any reasonable set of speakers, even borrowed, in a temporary setup to see if you can tell the difference between 5.1 and 6.1+ (I think that even in your situation you will) and if you like the difference, then it would be worth persuing speakers that better match to the others you already have.

#47257 - 07/15/03 12:38 PM Re: Back Surround Speakers
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I have two rear surround speakers.

#47258 - 07/15/03 08:23 PM Re: Back Surround Speakers
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
If you can do it, add the extra 2 rear (back) speakers.....use whatever you can get your hands on for now to try out and experiment..
I am using my old JBL L100 floor standers, and although they aren't a perfect match with the rest of my system, boy do they add that little extra something to the mix. I don't even own the 950 yet ( but very, very soon)....I'm using the Parasound CSE 6.1 expander right now for rear surrounds.... Worth having rear surrounds if you can do it. 2 rears are better than 1..........budoom!

#47259 - 07/15/03 08:36 PM Re: Back Surround Speakers
OFCCM Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks everyone,

Soundhound I misread your post, Sorry. I usually keep a few extra speakers around for projects upstairs system, but I recently sold some and then gave my upstairs speakers to my son in law. The only ones I kept are small bookshelf speakers that are about 20 years old. OK for testing and using with PC but not much else. I will borrow the others back for a few days and play with it, but I wanted some others opinions. I appreciate those, and picked up a few more in the other forums and from reading the Systems on this forum.

[This message has been edited by OFCCM (edited July 15, 2003).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts