Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#47018 - 06/19/03 12:15 PM Am I nuts? Not sure about 950/750 combo.
Kevin_R Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, Tx
I listened to my new 950 last night paired to my Outlaw 750 amp. My wife and I both feel that our Denon 5803 sounds better? We were going to move the 5803 into another room or possibly sell it. With the Outlaw combo it sounded like the soundsatge collapsed. Any input from anyone is appreciated.

#47019 - 06/19/03 12:45 PM Re: Am I nuts? Not sure about 950/750 combo.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
When I got my "blue dot" 950 (the version you have), I noticed that it needed longer to get settled in to the system (break in, if you will) than the previous versions (the original spring 2002 and the "red dot") had. You might give it a few days or so (maybe leave it running while you are gone during the day) and see if it opens up any.

Even more important than that is calibration. A few minutes with a $30 Radio Shack sound meter and some test tones (either the 950's internal test tones or the tones from a setup disc like AVIA) can make a huge difference in soundstage.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#47020 - 06/19/03 12:53 PM Re: Am I nuts? Not sure about 950/750 combo.
Kevin_R Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Gonk,

I calibrated with the Sound Meter. I also had to move the volume to -15db and the following channel levels to even get it to calibrate to 75db with the internal test tones. Speakers set to small. All crossovers set to 80hz.

Front L +10
Center +10
Front R +10
Surr R + 9
Surr L + 8
Sub - 5

#47021 - 06/19/03 01:01 PM Re: Am I nuts? Not sure about 950/750 combo.
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Your settings are way off in the calibration, and could very well be causing some of the problem. You should calibrate the system with the main volume control at "00". Doing this would bring the trims that are presently at +10 to -5. Don't worry excessively about calibrating the sub with a sound level meter. You can do it by ear to your own taste, and the Home Theater Gods won't strike you down! The sub may have it's own level control which you should use to arrive at a final volume.

Setting the sub volume is in reality a very complicated thing which really should be done with a spectrum analyzer, not a simple sound level meter. Most consumers do not have the knowledge about standing waves and other variables at low frequencies to make a calibration, especially with a meter valid. Especially considering that the LFE track in movies is synthesized anyway, setting it to taste by ear is perfectly valid. When listening to music, setting to taste by ear is also valid in the absense of advanced sound measurement equipment such as a spectrum analyzer.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited June 19, 2003).]

#47022 - 06/19/03 03:09 PM Re: Am I nuts? Not sure about 950/750 combo.
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Kevin,

Same here. Husband and I (excitedly) hooked up long awaited 950/770. …and fizzle.

Husband trying to be polite. Ummmm, what do you think?
Me: (I knew what he was doing). Weeeellll, I think the old reciever sounded better. Maybe somethings not right?

Two weeks or so of tweaking later……incredible system. Keep at it. For some they can plug it in and notice a leap forward …for others …like me and my husband, we had a lot of issues to deal with, Too many new components to mesh at once. New speakers,,,room acoustics to account for….getting Calibration RIGHT.
(possible Gonks burn-in) don’t know. But I advise play with it. And its So exciting when the SS opens up and its THERE.

Beautiful system after that.

#47023 - 06/19/03 03:33 PM Re: Am I nuts? Not sure about 950/750 combo.
Kevin_R Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Wouldn't the soundstage have to do more with the amplifier breaking in? If that is the case. I have had the 750 for over 1 1/2 years.

#47024 - 06/19/03 05:49 PM Re: Am I nuts? Not sure about 950/750 combo.
Time_Stands_Still Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin_R:
Wouldn't the soundstage have to do more with the amplifier breaking in? If that is the case. I have had the 750 for over 1 1/2 years.

No not just your amp. The Preamp /processor also will need time to burn in. I suggest that you turn the system on and say to an FM music station, it need not be loud and let the units play for a day, switching through the different processor settings etc. Then play a cd or two for a number of hours straight in surround mode and stereo, finally doing the same for DVD's etc. NONE of this need the volume cranked, infact for the processor it could have little or no volume. It is just about warming up and settling the various circuits, i.c.'s etc.

Then take time with a familiar movie to get a good idea of how your surround sounds and adjust the levels etc. If you have a spl meter, you can use that to fine tune thngs aswell.

HTH.

#47025 - 06/19/03 10:57 PM Re: Am I nuts? Not sure about 950/750 combo.
Desperado

Soundstage is affected by the the totality of several factors.

I'd check into SH's suggestion that he feels your calabration might be off (viewing the dB's you stated),... he will never toot his own horn (I will) he's Bone-a-fied!!! ("Brother where art thou") A professional ...worked on the ST of True Lies, - the DVD special re-master of Superman in 2000/01? etc. If he feels the #'s you posted are off on your calabration, its worth a double ck. I never note where mine actually sit, unless I've calabrated then moved one off for a recording (CC bump).

Double check your calb, and be aware when using the 950 remote. (Your numbers seem too in line for this situation)...but if you set master V @ 0. Then use the buttons labeled "volume" up/down on the remote you are moving your master volume (again...and off 0)...be sure you are using the <> (around the center toggle of the remote) during calabration for trimming. (prob only a mistake (I) would make!)

I'm not discounting burn-in....I've seen some affects I thought I have noted due possibly to this. - but from your description of your lack of satisfaction, I feel its more likely a combo of areas to adjust...possibly crossovers, calb, burnin etc combined?

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited June 19, 2003).]

#47026 - 06/19/03 11:37 PM Re: Am I nuts? Not sure about 950/750 combo.
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
......he's Bone-a-fied!!!]

Ummm.......Oh, now I get it.....Bone, as in DOG bone!! Yeah....funny......very funny.....ha, ha......

#47027 - 06/19/03 11:49 PM Re: Am I nuts? Not sure about 950/750 combo.
Desperado

Me and My weird spelling (Spell ck can't handle movie quotes)
Nothing to do with dogs (although their great and we have a particulary nice one in the forum...Hi Iggy ARF ARF).

Okay (mr hollywood) You KNOW...the scene in BWAT , - she won't remarry her husband because he's not bone a fied, as is her fiance.

Legal and gainfully employed, Makeing bo-qu's of money during a depression, respectable, AND professionally trained......the REAL thing...Bone i fied!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts