Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#46764 - 06/02/03 08:47 PM Analog Bass Management Mode
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
Just purchased a 950/7100 package and am one day away from receiving it. While waiting I finished reading Wayne Garcia's review in Perfect Vision Magazine. One thing mentioned confused me.
He states that a toggle switch lets you choose between 2 analog Bass Mgt modes. One mode routes freq below 80Hz freq to subwoofer and the other mode routes freq below 80Hz to F/R/C. "Bottom line: unless every speaker in your system is truly full range, make certain that this switch is in the on position; otherwise driver damage is practically guaranteed"
I do not have a subwoofer and have Klipsch KLF20 front and right and CL7 for center. The center is not "full range".

What exactly is Mr Garcia talking about and how do I not damage my speakers?

#46765 - 06/03/03 07:53 AM Re: Analog Bass Management Mode
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've got some notes on bass management in my 950 review to help explain the various options, but Mr Garcia was referring to the bass management on the 5.1 analog input. That input has a toggle switch for bass management "on" or "off." When off, the five speakers get the full range of information from the source; the sub gets the LFE data, plus a copy of all data below 80Hz on all five full-range channels. When on, the five speakers get their full signals minus everything below 80Hz; that information below 80Hz continues to be re-directed to the subwoofer along with the LFE signal. If you have speakers that aren't capable of full-range operation (if their -3dB point is 60Hz, for example -- a pretty reasonable number for a surround speaker) and you send a 22Hz signal to that speaker at very high volume, you might be able to damage the speaker. I'm not sure just how feasible it really is -- others around here could shed some light on that.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#46766 - 06/03/03 04:20 PM Re: Analog Bass Management Mode
mdanderson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Garland,Tx. USA
I agreed with gonk. I really doubt that you will damage the driver in your speakers unless you drive them at excessive levels. I have Paradigm Ref.20s and sometimes I will use the large setting on music. I primarily use the 40Hz crossover in my Outlaw 950 for music because it just sounds better to me.
Oppo UDP-205/LG 65C6
Outlaw 976 prepro/ Emotiva BasX A-700 amp
Power Sound Audio 15S

#46767 - 06/03/03 10:18 PM Re: Analog Bass Management Mode
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
Thanks for the advice. My 950/7100 just arrived so I have a lot to play with. Hope it sounds as good as the posts I have read. The 30 day return policy was the one that helped me take the plunge. if the sound is not better than my HK $450 receiver it goes back. I have already hooked up the 7100 to the HK pre outs and cannot really tell much difference in sound. I hope when the 9500 is hooked up I will hear some discernible differences. At least I know I won't blow my speakers as Mr Garcia suggested.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts