Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#46604 - 05/16/03 03:01 PM 950+7100 vs Sherwood
bad21 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Sthlm, Sweden
Hi,
I donīt know if Outlaw ships to Sweden but after a lot of reding im planing to buy the 950 and the 7100. But need some help.

Everything i read about Outlaw is just positive, But as always im always suspicious about product before listening ( maybe just me . I have today Sherwood Newcastle preamp + amp. And wondering if someone on this forum has compared this system with Outlaws ?

Any feedback is apriciated.

/Sebastian

#46605 - 05/19/03 04:57 PM Re: 950+7100 vs Sherwood
master of disaster Offline
Gunslinger

Hi-I have never heard the outlaw either but have some limited experience with sherwood.I think the outlaw would be better-but how much?outlaw has more channels,if that matters.better bass management in the outlaws-good if you have different size speakers front and back,or if your having trouble with your bass.However,I think the sherwood amp uses push-pull circuitry which brings out the detail in the sound-so the outlaw amp might be a letdown in that regard.Basically,if your generally happy with your sound and don't want more channels,you might be better off sticking with the sherwood.If you want possibly more power,or updated features you might want to upgrade to outlaw-but I wouldn't necessarily expect earth shattering changes.

#46606 - 05/20/03 11:21 PM Re: 950+7100 vs Sherwood
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Hi,

The Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080R pre/pro/tuner came out a few years before the Outlaw 950 and so isn't as up to date sonically and doesn't have DPL II or the latest DTS features, but Sherwood Newcastle expects to introduce the P-965 pre/pro/tuner in the fourth quarter of 2003. This pre/pro/tuner is not made by Eastech. It does analog and digital bass management but I don't have the details. Sherwood Newcastle had at one time considered another pre/pro/tuner, the P-958, which was to have been out by now, but those plans were scrapped. For more up to date information on the forthcoming Sherwood pre/pro/tuner, see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=160581&perpage=20&pagenumber =2

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited May 20, 2003).]

#46607 - 05/23/03 03:39 PM Re: 950+7100 vs Sherwood
Philip Hamm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
I previously had the Sherwood AV-P9080 as my preamp and am currently using the 5 channel AM-9080 as my amplifier with my Outlaw 950.

In pure 5.1 for DTS and DD, and in stereo or pass-through, the Outlaw is sonically equivalent to the Sherwood IMO. (Important note: I had an ICBM with my 9080 between the preamp and the amplifier at all times so Ihad "Triple crossover" functionality that is not part of the Sherwood).

Where the Outlaw shines, at least in a 5.1 system, is with Dolby Prologic II. DPLII is a major upgrade from regular prologic and watching any prologic material is greatly superior on the Outlaw.

Now, if you're upgrading to 6.1 or 7.1 (which are not really doable in my room so I'm not interested), there are going to be sigificant benefits there. If you're sticking with 5 channel I don't think there's any reason to replace your amplifier. The Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 is an excellent powerhouse of an amp, I really like mine a lot.

The Outlaw uses the same OEM remote, but it is much better implemented than the Sherwood. I never used the Sherwood version of the remote, but I use the Outlaw one as my main remote.

If your Sherwood prepro is working (Mine was not functioning, but that's a long story I don't care to repeat - suffice it to say that I broke it singlehandedly and it was not any fault of Sherwood), I would recommend waiting to see what Sherwood has to offer. If you need an equivalent pre/pro right away as I did, the Outlaw is the only way to go.

That is if they serve you in your country. I don't know if they can. Sherwood definitely can - important!

Of course the Sherwood won't be made by Eastech, Sherwood is the brand name for another OEM company that competes with Eastech!

Take a look at my modest home theater now and pictures of the changes over the years here. Please save the derogatory comments about my 7 year old NTSC RPTV....

------------------
Philip Hamm

[This message has been edited by Philip Hamm (edited May 23, 2003).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM