Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#46321 - 04/14/03 07:01 PM Audio Dropouts (Again)
minuteman Offline
Gunslinger

This is my first bout with the audio dropout problem, but last night I had three episodes while watching the new Harry Potter DVD. The audio would drop out for several seconds, and the display would flash different labels. For instance, it would change from DD+CRM to DD-ES and back. Anyone else having trouble with this disc?
Thanks,

#46322 - 04/16/03 03:17 PM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
scubadj Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Virginia
I watched this movie the other night and had no problems with the audio at all. Enjoyed it very much.

Don

#46323 - 04/16/03 05:52 PM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't watched it yet, but I expect that I will be very soon (it's sitting on the shelf at home right now). I was a bit surprised to learn that Warner re-introduced the EX flag that caused so much trouble for several receivers about a year and a half ago (some Onkyo's with an early method of generating a surround back channel and Outlaw's 1050 if the surround back speaker is disabled in the speaker setup). If it is switching from "DD-CR M" to "DD-ES" then it's definitely re-acquiring the digital audio signal. I wonder if it's related to the problems some of us have found with Panasonic players cutting off the digital audio on DTS-ES soundtracks at layer changes and when skipping chapters? Did the dropouts occur repeatably at the same points in the movie? Mrs. gonk and I will certainly keep an eye out for it when we watch the movie.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#46324 - 04/17/03 04:19 AM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
marc seals Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Anchorage, AK, USA
Well I have been getting dropouts with increased regularity myself. It started about 3 weeks ago and has since gotten worse and it has even happened with my CD player using a coxial cable.

I am going to call them (Outlaws) tomorrow.

#46325 - 04/17/03 09:49 AM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
minuteman Offline
Gunslinger

Good Morning,
I'm using a Panasonic CP72 and optical cable which has been glitch free. I haven't checked repeatability for the problem yet, just wondering if the dropouts were occurring on anyone else's system.
Still waiting for my new Eprom card too.

#46326 - 04/17/03 02:38 PM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
minuteman Offline
Gunslinger

Scott just emailed me concerning this. Apparently I failed to notice that HP was an ES encoded disc, was using the Cirris overlay when I should have been using DD-ES. I kind of figured it was a disc problem per my first post but it turns out some moron with poor eyesight was responsible.
:-)
Scott, thanks for the help.

#46327 - 04/17/03 10:15 PM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
Garrett Adams Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by minuteman:
Scott just emailed me concerning this. Apparently I failed to notice that HP was an ES encoded disc,...

Not quite - its' 6.1 is Dolby EX not DTS-ES.

#46328 - 04/18/03 02:19 AM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
MM- It shouldn't matter whether you use EX decoding, simple DD, or DD with CES to watch Harry Potter. The decoding algorythm shouldn't have anything to do with drop outs... ??

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#46329 - 04/18/03 08:22 AM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It shouldn't, but if Potter is using the EX flag that gave so many non-Dolby 6.1 surround decoders fits last year it is possible that flag is still creating problems?

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#46330 - 04/18/03 07:31 PM Re: Audio Dropouts (Again)
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Gonk- I guess that's possible, but then the only time that should arise, is if/when the 950 loses and then tries to re-acquire the signal, and then maybe then it gets confused. But then it shouldn't be losing the signal in the 1st place, unless it's a dirty disc, across a layer change with a player that takes too long, skipping ahead or back chapters, etc. I suppose it'll be curious if the dropouts go away when he changes the DSP mode... Before I did the Eprom swap, I did play a DTS-ES movie with DTS-CES, and no problems, but maybe that's completely different than DD/DD EX...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts