Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#46466 - 05/06/03 06:29 PM UP-GRADE-ITIS............
daddy_guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Redwood City, Ca USA
OK. OK. I have read most posts about the 950, and am convinced this is the very best way to go (with the 770 or 775 amp)to get the best and newest surround processing for movies and music (and price!!). My BIG dilemma is...for many, many years I have been using an old Fosgate Model 4 Processor, and I still think it's the one of the best of the surround processors. (anyone familiar with it? Their 70mm mode?)I have auditioned newer, fancier receivers in the $1000.00 -$2000.00 range,with most of the newest surround options, and was never satisfied. They never compared to the old trusty Fosgates 70mm surround mode. My dumb question is...do you think the 950 will compare???? Must be an old Fosgate lover out there that can help! Dumb question, pretty sad, and I think I know the answer, but just had to ask. I know, I know, just get off my duff and UPGRADE...right?????? BTW, Love this forum!!! Thanks for all your help so far....

#46467 - 05/06/03 11:01 PM Re: UP-GRADE-ITIS............
Avi Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern New Jersey, USA
Have you heard Dolby ProLogic II (included with the 950)? It's actually a digital version of a Fosgate DSP mode - works wonders on stereo, Dolby Surround, and Dolby Pro Logic soundtracks. May be all you're looking for.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation - upgrading from a Yamaha DSP-A1, which is also known for unique 70mm surround modes, but it actually uses a second set of front speakers for ambiance - really makes your room sound like a bigger theater. I've noticed, though, that more of my favorite soundtracks have been mastered specifically for surround, and the added "ambience" messes them up. Specifically, anything animated (from Pixar, Nick Park, or George Lucas) tends to have the surround sound dialed in just so. This finally put me over the edge, and I've just ordered a 950/7100 combo, hoping straight Dolby Digital and Dolby ProLogic II will be "good enough" on their own.

-avi

#46468 - 05/07/03 02:18 AM Re: UP-GRADE-ITIS............
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Do the 30 day money back guarentee. Nothing to lose. Plus, remember, you get a lot more too. 5.1 analog inputs, DD EX/DTS-ES, a tuner, the CES modes that "expand" DD/DTS to 6.1/7.1, etc.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#46469 - 05/07/03 10:07 AM Re: UP-GRADE-ITIS............
TANGO Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Jenison, MI, United States
Ditto Kevin-- he knows what he's talking about: the equipment's awesome!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM