Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#45276 - 02/22/03 03:03 PM Stupid Q for DVD setup w/ 950
recaros4 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Auburn, AL, USA
I can set up the DVD to send PCM or bitstream to the 950 via an optical connection. Which should I use and why? I've been using PCM because the bitstream seems very thin sounding.

#45277 - 02/22/03 03:27 PM Re: Stupid Q for DVD setup w/ 950
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You'll want to use bitstream to allow Dolby Digital and DTS signals to pass directly to the 950. PCM is an option to allow support for digital connection to receivers that lack Dolby Digital or DTS, but bitstream is what you want to use to allow the player to send the audio data directly from the disc to the 950. Your DVD player will revert to PCM for CD playback (put a CD in while using a digital input to the 950 and when the 950 acquires the signal it will temporarily display "PCM" in the top right corner of the display).

Side note: many players default to PCM for DTS so that non-DTS receivers will work if a DTS track is selected -- anybody wanting to use a DTS decoder have to switch the player's output to bitstream.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#45278 - 02/22/03 09:59 PM Re: Stupid Q for DVD setup w/ 950
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
You'll want to use bitstream ...; quote from gonk.
you know..in today's world...there's so many doggone...codes 'n 'standards'...i can hardly keep up..and i'm a blooming engineer! at least i play one one t.v...but ...i don't usually have much time at home..gone from usa 6 to 8 months a yr. i don't even know where my dvd's default program is at. i played a movie the other day...sounded strange for movie 'sound' the dvd had selected 'stereo' instead of the 5.1 it was recorded in...silly metal! so i changed it with my finger. sounded great!
i think i'll save your answer ... so i can remember it for myself. marga rita for 'gonk'!
just put it in 'word', thanks...it's good when one can cut thru the mire and say it all in a few sentences...friends tell me my answers all way begin with ...In the Beginning......

[This message has been edited by thigg (edited February 22, 2003).]

#45279 - 02/23/03 07:51 AM Re: Stupid Q for DVD setup w/ 950
neal Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: galion oh
Thigg- I have finally developed the habit of checking the audio set-up options on every dvd before playing. It is surprising how many are defaulted to stereo, and sometimes I am surprised to find a DTS soundtrack I was not aware of.

#45280 - 02/23/03 07:39 PM Re: Stupid Q for DVD setup w/ 950
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Neal- I do the same thing.

A few years ago, I watched the entire Das Boot DVD with the English dubbed soundtrack, because I didn't know there was a subtitled version that was available from the main menu because the English dubbed version was the "default" ...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts