Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#43249 - 12/14/02 10:41 AM New DVD player
fly guy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big Island, HI
Hello all

I know that this has all been discussed to the nth degree, but I need to know some of your opinions.

My old Sony DVD player went out on me 2 days ago. I'm desperately looking for a new player now. Unfortunately, due to it's untimely demise, I have very limited funds for a new player. I have $200...that's all I can devote to this right now. (My receiver is on the blink too)

I've been considering the toshiba 4800. My dealer said he would sell it to me for $170. But it is DVD-A compatible only. Are there any DVD/SACD players out there in this price range??

Right now I'm looking at titles available in both formats to determine which one would better suit me.

I will be purchasing SOMETHING before the weekend is over.

Thanks

#43250 - 12/14/02 11:20 AM Re: New DVD player
tofufot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor
The Sony DVPNS755V is about in your price range. Onecall has them, but your local CC or BB may have them in stock if you're in a hurry. If you're shameless, there's an Apex model (AD-7701) that does DVD-A and SACD, but the image quality is said to be poor. There's a review at techtv.com

#43251 - 12/14/02 12:58 PM Re: New DVD player
fly guy Offline
Gunslinger

No....I'm not totally shameless, and video quality needs to be pretty decent, and ideally progressive as I plan to upgrade to a RP next year(got my eye on the toshiba 50HDX82)

I just looked at some of the titles available, and DVD-A has several I would like to have.

I would really like to get the pioneer 45A, but just can't spend that much right now.

Do any of you think I wouldn't be happy with the toshiba 4800?? Are there any major problems/limitations with it??

#43252 - 12/14/02 01:38 PM Re: New DVD player
charlie Offline
Desperado

Toshiba has a pretty good reputation.

All I really want to say is that almost without exception every time I've bought 'all I could afford' I've been sorry later. Everyone is different, but for me I've learned (the hard way, mostly ) that it's better to just wait and get what I really want later. The only other way that works for me is to buy something for the moment that's so cheap it's practically disposable while saving for what I want.

YMMV.

If you think the 4800 will keep you happy, cool. Sorry but I don't have any specific personal experience with that model.

#43253 - 12/14/02 02:07 PM Re: New DVD player
fly guy Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, Charlie

I agree with you about the "settling for something less" theory. However, when I start thinking about getting something a little better, it doesn't stop. I see something a little better on the next step up,and the next step up,and so on and so forth. Whatever I spend on this DVD player won't be a 'waste' of money since I will just 'hand it down' to the kids to have in one of their rooms, whenever I can get something better for my system.

My big problem is that I have a major move coming up at the first of Feb. I'm moving to Kona, HI for a new job. This move is sucking up LOTS of $$. Whatever new player I get needs to get me by for a year, or maybe two. As well as compromising a little on the DVD player, I'm probably going to get a mid level receiver instead of separates (like the outlaw or AT combo)

Hopefully in a year or two, I will be able to re-do the front end of my system.

[This message has been edited by fly guy (edited December 14, 2002).]

#43254 - 12/14/02 02:52 PM Re: New DVD player
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
If money is an issue, remember that current DVD-A players require getting SIX sets of cables, from the player to receiver. The current generation of analog-only DVD-A players will be outdated when digital DVD-A interfaces become standard. (Just one digital cable.) Future pre/pro's and receivers will have to support the new digital standard, as well. Whatever you buy today won't be current when the new stuff comes out, so I agree with not wanting to spend too much money on it now, especially with money being tight.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited December 14, 2002).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 147 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts