Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#42136 - 10/24/02 10:06 AM Need some Paradigm help
Bill in Texas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cherokee, Texas
I have upgraded just recently to the 950/770 combo from the 1050 and I'm still running with a 6.1 array of speakers. They are all Paradigm Reference Studios. 40s for mains, cc center, pw-2200 sub and 20s for surrounds and rear.

I now wish to go with a 7.1 array and can't decide to get one more 20 or to trade and go with two ADPs for the surrounds. I'll keep two 20s for the rears because they sound so incredible for 7 channel stereo. Any advice from those that are familiar with the Paradigms would be greatly appreciated.

Gonk?

------------------
Bill

#42137 - 10/24/02 12:04 PM Re: Need some Paradigm help
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
I have the 20's in a psuedo 7.1 setup and love it, but my choice of the 20's over the adp's was due to trying them out in the room I have. They did not sound as good, I believe because my room is open on 1 wall down to the dining room. Also weighing in on my decision was I wasn't sure if they would work on stands as opposed to on the wall but since I decided I have seen and heard peoples systems with the adps on stands and they sound great. I do agree though the 20's do a better job on multi-channel music.
Well after all that I didn't give you much of a recommendation did I?

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#42138 - 10/24/02 12:19 PM Re: Need some Paradigm help
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Because my space is fairly simple (rectangular room, no large openings) and because it is small enough to more or less force me to mount speakers on the wall rather than set them on stands, the ADP's were preferable to the 20's. I've had them for over a year and a half now, and have been very pleased with them.

m-mmeyer offers a very good suggestion -- trying the ADP's out in your space. If you are already pleased with the 20's for surround, you may prefer keeping that arrangement and just adding the last 20 on the surround back. A good Paradigm dealer ought to be able to let you demo a pair of ADP's at home to see if you like them for surround.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#42139 - 10/24/02 02:01 PM Re: Need some Paradigm help
Bill in Texas Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cherokee, Texas
Hmm, test drive isn't going to do us a whole lot of good in this case, because things are going to change in the next year and I have to plan for that as well. See, we're in the design phase of constructing a new home as well. Right now we have one of them there formal living rooms that I have made into our home theater. It's about 13'X 30' with the formal dining room included. The rear speaker sits on the dining table and the surrounds sit on stands. (yeah, I got cables running all over)

The new house will have a 20'X 20' greatroom that will double for HT. The surrounds therefore will be 8 to 10 feet from the listening position and are going to have to be mounted high. Do you think maybe I would be asking a bit much of dipoles in this case and should go with the 20s? A dispersed sound or a more directional sound source because of the distance, I guess is the question?

------------------
Bill

#42140 - 10/25/02 09:43 PM Re: Need some Paradigm help
fmcorps Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fargo, ND, USA
Bill,

Ultimatly it should realy be one of those test situations where you can try both designs out to se what works for the room and accoustics. But I'ld reccomend using the studio ADP's for the sides, and a set of monopoles angled at about a 50-60 degree angle to the back of your listening area. (just a tich wider angle then the front speakers to widen the rear surround field). I had a lot of sucess in my parents 20-15 foot room that doubles as their living room/theater with this setup. I personaly didn't like using the di-poles for the rears, but considered the mono-poles a little to present for the l&r surround channels. But then again that's just me.

Jason

Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users