Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#42132 - 10/25/02 09:14 AM My hiss is now much reduced
clopez Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Strangest thing,

I was planning to return my 950, even got an RMA, but just could not give the machine back.

Well, I redid some work and removed my DVD player video in to run it to my CS-1 directly about a week ago.

So last night I decide to play with the pots on my parasound, I had turned the gain down two weeks earlier to remove the noise. Well low and behold the noise is much lower than before. I can still hear hiss with the gain maxed, but nothing like I was hearing before. I turned off everything in the room to be as silent as possible and while I can hear the hiss from 2 feet it wasn't as bad as before. So I re-calibrated my system with Avia and replayed my CD. The hiss was not in the music as before. While I know that I reduced the gain on my amp, it was not reduced as much as before. I cannot duplicate the level of hiss I was having at first.

The only difference was that My DVD player isn't connected via s-video to the pre-amp any more. I did not plug the DVD player back in to test. To much testing not enough enjoying.

I am very happy now, I demoed some CDs and DVDs and I just can't send the unit back.

Now I using the money I am saving to by 1 more channel and two speakers to have my 7.1

Strange but interesting.

Thanks,
clopez

#42133 - 10/25/02 04:07 PM Re: My hiss is now much reduced
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Interesting data point. Doesn't help me though, because I don't run any video through the 950.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#42134 - 10/25/02 05:32 PM Re: My hiss is now much reduced
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Quote:

Doesn't help me though, because I don't run any video through the 950

Same here.

#42135 - 10/25/02 06:20 PM Re: My hiss is now much reduced
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Hmm, I've got a GameCube running into the 950 with S-Video... Maybe I'll try taking it out and see what happens. I have an extremely small amount of hiss, but not enough to bother me (it's not audible from my listening position).

When I first got the 950, I couldn't even hear the hiss except by pressing my ear to the tweeter, but now it does seem a little bit louder... I thought it was just in my head, but I also didn't have the GameCube when I first got the 950, so maybe it _is_ hissing just a little bit more than it used to... I don't know...

Interestingly, the GameCube is the only S-Video device I have hooked up, and I didn't notice much of a difference in quality of that over the composite. It now looks about as good as my PS2 over component, but it used to look just about that good over composite, too. The PS2, however, looked awful over composite, and I noticed a big improvement when I bought the component cable. Hmm...

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Who's Online
0 registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts