Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#42096 - 10/18/02 02:54 PM LFE adjustment?
ScottAvery Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Haymarket, VA
Can you adjust the LFE level independent of the sub level? My sub is calibrated using test tones but LFE is still weak. If I just turn up the sub output then redirected bass from other speakers will be too loud. I just want to raise the LFE. possible?

#42097 - 10/18/02 03:48 PM Re: LFE adjustment?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't think it's possible (at least, I've never seen a setting that would do what you are talking about).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#42098 - 10/19/02 07:49 PM Re: LFE adjustment?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottAvery:
Can you adjust the LFE level independent of the sub level? My sub is calibrated using test tones but LFE is still weak. If I just turn up the sub output then redirected bass from other speakers will be too loud. I just want to raise the LFE. possible?

all things are possible...

1.) buy identical, full range speakers and set speakers to large...then...
2.) buy a mono preamp and plug the analog subwoofer output from your player directly into your mono pre, (extra cool if the mono pre has a subsonic filter, variable to suit your sub) which can be had for as low as $70.
3.) if you are really daring, bypass your sub's x-over and add an active, 24db/oct. linkwitz/riley, state variable crossover with time delay and phase switch and 0 to 180 variable phase control, and a parametric equalizer and, with a test disc and rta or spl...dial in nirvana.

soundhound...that pitcher of marguaritas thing is the best subliminal ad i've seen all year!! thank you, bro.

#42099 - 10/19/02 08:09 PM Re: LFE adjustment?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by bossobass:

soundhound...that pitcher of marguaritas thing is the best subliminal ad i've seen all year!! thank you, bro.

As a matter of fact, I'm out the door right now to have a great Mexican dinner and a picther of Marguaritas........I'll be think'in of 'ya.

Hiss? I don't hear no stink'in hiss......

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 19, 2002).]

#42100 - 10/20/02 03:32 AM Re: LFE adjustment?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
BoB- On my list of things I want to do is this: I do what probably most people do, is to run all my speakers small, and crossover over everything (plus the LFE channel) to my sub.

Someday, and now I know you're the expert that I could get some help from, is to buy another sub, and run just the mains full range, using the sub's crossover to split out the bass. I guess it's still a partial solution, because I'd still be running the center, and surrounds and rear(s) small. Well, I'm still into the "figuring out" process in terms of that...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#42101 - 10/21/02 10:57 AM Re: LFE adjustment?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:

...is to buy another sub, and run just the mains full range, using the sub's crossover to split out the bass.

kcb: i don't know exactly what you mean by this. split out the bass. if you could help me understand, i would appreciate it. the bass situation in HT/sacd is sometimes mind-numbing to me.

#42102 - 10/21/02 11:24 AM Re: LFE adjustment?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I believe that if you use an ICBM, it will allow you to do this. I don't know of any way to get the 950 to do it.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#42103 - 10/21/02 03:18 PM Re: LFE adjustment?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

kcb: it just came to me in a flash.

1.) run the analog sub out of your dvd-a/sacd player into a preamp, then into sub #1 that has onboard x-over, phase, etc.

2.) run the lfe out from the 950 into sub #2 to process the summed lows from the speakers set to 'small'. it won't be added to the lfe info because there is no lfe info going into the 950. it is now going solely into sub #1.

bingo. no chance of unintentional 'double bass'. no loss of low freqs., regardless of format or high pass selection. this is truly 'bass management' and i believe this is the first place on earth, in history, to have published the solution.

a.) all digital surround modes: the player decodes the lfe, converts it to analog signal and sends it to sub #1.

b.) sacd/dvd-a: all such players decode the lfe signal, convert it to analog signal and send it to sub #1.

c.) stereo, digital out or analog out to bypass mode: the prepro sends the lows to the mains, which can be reproduced by the mains, or low passed through the lfe output into sub #2, where it is properly aligned to the mains high pass point. sub #1 is disabled in this mode (turn the sub #1 preamp off).

d.) a and b above: if in either, you select a high pass point for 'small' speakers, the freqs below that point are sent to sub #2 to be properly aligned to the satellites.

what is needed:
1.) 1 mono preamp and 2 rca plugs.
2.) 1 powered sub with crossover and phase control.
3.) 1 additional powered sub. (no x-over needed).

#42104 - 10/22/02 12:36 AM Re: LFE adjustment?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
BoB- You got it...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 152 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts