Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#40575 - 10/03/02 11:30 PM Possible to introduce a global delay?
Dzung Pham Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maryland
I'm starting to use a video processor and because of this, there is sometimes a bit of a lip sync issue where the audio gets slightly ahead of the video. I was wondering if it was possible to introducce a global delay of a few milliseconds on all chanels on the 950. I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask on the off chance I overlooked something.

#40576 - 10/03/02 11:46 PM Re: Possible to introduce a global delay?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
You might try setting the distance of all the speakers to some distance farther (or closer) than they actually are from your listening position in the 'system config' menu. The distance settings place delays in the various channels to compensate for unequal distances from listening position to each speaker. Setting all of them for more or less than the actual distance would, theoritically, at least delay the sound.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited October 04, 2002).]

#40577 - 10/05/02 02:18 AM Re: Possible to introduce a global delay?
Dzung Pham Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maryland
Soundhound, I was thinking about this but I think it depends on how the delay is implemented. I tend to think that the 950 simply delays the closest speakers relative to the farthest ones. I doubt that any delay would be introduced to the speakers that were set at the farthest distance.

#40578 - 10/05/02 06:21 AM Re: Possible to introduce a global delay?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
That's possible, but unfortunately I think that on the 950, that is your only option short of buying an outboard digital delay for all the channels. You could always sit 50 feet from the screen (-:

#40579 - 10/07/02 02:16 PM Re: Possible to introduce a global delay?
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Well, if you think about it, the 950 HAS to do some kind of relative delay. Because, the farther a speaker is from you, the LESS it ought to be delayed... if the zero point in the delays is 0 feet, then the 950 would have to send data to speakers that are farther than that BEFORE it is received by the 950, clearly impossible.

I suppose the zero point could be the maximum distance setting, but then as most speakers are closer than that you'd ALWAYS have a global delay which is not what I think happens.

Maybe SCOTT can post to clarify this. (hint hint).

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts