Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#40093 - 09/27/02 04:17 PM DVD Audio with 6 channel direct
dragonmonger Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Washington DC
I just got my 950 set up last night and am having trouble with the 6 channel direct mode.

I am using 5 speakers with the surrounds selected as opposed to the rears. I have a Toshiba SD-5700 with DVD-Audio outputs. I connected all six to the 950 and turned bass management off.

The only DVD Audio disc I have right now is Fleetwood Mac Rumours. When I start it up and switch to Bypass mode I only get sound out of the front three and the sub. Nothing from the surrounds. At first I thought I need to move the RCA's on my amp to rears rather than surrounds but still nothing out of the back.

Does anyone else have this disc? Is there a back channel or do I have something hooked up wrong?

Thanks for your help.

DM

#40094 - 09/27/02 05:47 PM Re: DVD Audio with 6 channel direct
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I assume that the surrounds work in other modes, and there is no problem with connections downstream of the 950. According to a quick google search, the disc is listed as having a 5.1 DVD-Audio track.

So you have five speakers plus a sub, right? You should not be using the surround back speakers at all (in fact, I'd turn them off in the speaker setup, although that shouldn't make a difference when using the 6-channel analog input). I'd definitely check to make sure all of the cables are hooked up well (I had a couple of cables come loose from my amp when I was hooking it up, which can be a real headache).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#40095 - 09/27/02 10:17 PM Re: DVD Audio with 6 channel direct
patman Offline
Gunslinger

I have the same problem, but worse:

In the direct 6-channel mode, I only get passthrough for the front left and right channels, and the subwoofer channel.

I get absolutely no output from the center channel, nor the 2 rear channels (I've turned off the rear surround channels).

The reason I know I'm getting no passthrough is because I took my center channel output from the DVD player and plugged it into the front left input and got sound out of it. Plug the same center channel output into the 950's center channel input and I get no sound at all. The same is true with the surround channels.

So, do I have a problem unit, or is there a system option I need to turn on?

FYI: In other modes, like DPL, or DPL II, I do get center channel output, so I think there's a problem with my 6-channel inputs on the 950 I have.

[This message has been edited by patman (edited September 27, 2002).]

#40096 - 09/27/02 10:29 PM Re: DVD Audio with 6 channel direct
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Drangonmonger,

Quote:
switch to Bypass mode

I cued in to that word, although I blush to tell the story, and you prob. did not get as over-excited as I did trying to play my first DVD-A.

I thought I did not need to refer to my stinking manual and kept pushing the 'Bypass' key. Was looking through all the menus in the Front Display Screen on the Outlaw itself, for something relative to enabling 6-chanel. Mathew posted and told me to hit AUD then the 6-channel direct button on the face of the remote. (Above and to the right of Bypass, the ‘Next’ button)
If you’re hitting Bypass you will just get the FL/FR.
If your getting sound of of your center though thats not it.
Have you used your DVD-A on the Toshiba before since you mention one disc? Have you checked the setup menus in the Toshiba. My Panny has certain options in setup which selected would keep it from playing DVD-A.

#40097 - 09/27/02 11:30 PM Re: DVD Audio with 6 channel direct
tps123 Offline
Gunslinger

On the 5700 you need to set the DVD to 6-ch from bitstream. This takes 8 buttons pressed on the remote. I programed macros to turn it back and forth between bitstream and 6-ch. Mine works great all 6 channels.

TPS

[This message has been edited by tps123 (edited September 27, 2002).]

#40098 - 09/28/02 08:14 AM Re: DVD Audio with 6 channel direct
Everett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brevard, N.C.
I also have the 5700/950 combo. Just hit the Audio button on the 5700, or better yet, program it into your remote. When you hit audio, just toggle thru your choices. Im not familar with that disc, but ALL my 6 or 7 DVD AUDIO disc work fine following these instrucions. Its especially easy with the right remote, like a Marantz RC2000!

#40099 - 09/28/02 07:31 PM Re: DVD Audio with 6 channel direct
dragonmonger Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Washington DC
Thanks for everyones help. TPS was correct. On the Toshiba 5700 you have to hit the audio button and toggle through to Analog 6 channel output. I did that and it worked great.

The sound is incredible even compared to PLII-M mode which I thought was great earlier today.

DM

#40100 - 09/28/02 08:20 PM Re: DVD Audio with 6 channel direct
patman Offline
Gunslinger

That also did the trick for me, but I must say, I'm a bit disappointed that you can't cycle the source buttons on the face of the 950 to get to the 6-channel analog input. If you have a broken remote control, there's no way of gaining access to the 6-channel analog input.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 120 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts