Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#39336 - 08/30/02 03:45 AM From other forums... I respond.
merc Offline
Desperado

Loc: Deep in the Woodlands of Texas
I am sick and tired of not being able to respond to some other questions, complaints and simply nasty anti-outlaw posts on other forums.... so I'll copy them here and get my ya-yas out!

------------------
Take Care,
merc
merc\'s primary system

#39337 - 08/30/02 03:55 AM Re: From other forums... I respond.
merc Offline
Desperado

From HTF:

To keep things straight, be advised that the unit you will receive is rebuilt to the latest factory specifications and carefully inspected to assure that it is in "like new" condition, but it will probably not be a brand new unit"

So after all our patience with Outlaw and the 950 we end up with a "refurb".

From another forum Tom H asks:
Quote:
I will ask Outlaw to:
1. Ship me a new unit from the redesigned production line.
or
2. Issue an RMA and a refund. I will then order a new 950 or a Rotel.

--------

It was responded to by Bob L. of LA who said:
Quote:
I'm breaking my self-imposed silence on the Outlaw 950 one time to make a comment. (I received a 950 from the first large shipment and, fortunately, one without a hiss problem.)
BOY, do I EVER understand and sympathize with Tom's frustration!!
In addition, I can't even begin to imagine how cheesed off the folks are who have been on the waiting list all this time. I'd be spitting profanities more deadly than a pneumatic nail gun if it was me.
That said ...
When I first received my 950 (in May was it?), I was very satisfied. It sounded good -- perhaps a little edgy on top -- and had lots of fine features. (Hated the remote. Still do. )
It took about a month for the 950 to break in and for the 950 to "break ME in." (I think the break-in concept has at least as much to do with conditioning listener expectations as it does with the electronics themselves.) The result of break-in was a tempering of the edginess into a very detailed and analytical sound. Not glamorous or flattering to source material but very honest.
Then there was a month or so of tweaking the system -- speaker positions, surround positions, delays, tonearm adjustments -- to optimize the overall system synergy. (I think my wife got a headache every time she saw the Radio Shack SPL meter come out of the AV cabinet.)
Since July, I have used the Outlaw 950 for many, many, MANY sessions with DirecTV programming, FM radio, DVD, LD, vinyl, Internet radio, and, most recently, videogame consoles.
At least once during each session, my ears have perked up at a remarkable musical detail, or a precisely pinpointed surround effect, a subliminal subwoofer muttering, a panoramic soundstage, or an intimate musical performance that was transported into my living room. And I've enjoyed a moment of delighted realization that "my system has never sounded like THAT before." (And, honest guys, the system wasn't chopped liver BEFORE Outlaw was in the house.)
The Outlaw isn't perfect and it isn't a $10,000 pre/pro in features or performance. It IS an outstanding pre/pro of exceptional value and flexibility and anyone who is considering paying anywhere from $500-$3000 for a pre/pro, IMHO, should add it to their short list of possible HT and music solutions.
NOW ... I hope they have some luck getting these frikkin' things shipped out so that more folks can find out what a few of us have been enjoying.
(And then he returned to his silence .... )

So... how many of you early guys agree with Bob and will keep your initial units? In fact... does Bob actually agree to keep his unit in spite of his voiced perfectness??? Anyway, I want a new refurbed one. How bout y'all?
How bout Bob?
I wonder if he'll let us know???

[This message has been edited by merc (edited August 30, 2002).]
merc\'s primary system

#39338 - 08/30/02 11:33 AM Re: From other forums... I respond.
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I'm not sending mine back for no refurb. I like mine just fine the way it is.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#39339 - 08/30/02 01:07 PM Re: From other forums... I respond.
Dzung Pham Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maryland
The way I see it, my unit is already used, as long as the replacement unit is in similar or better condition but has a superior noise floor, I'm satisfied. I can understand the desire to get a brand new unit, but for me, I see no practical advantage to getting a new unit over a refurb.

[This message has been edited by Dzung Pham (edited August 30, 2002).]

#39340 - 08/30/02 01:29 PM Re: From other forums... I respond.
merc Offline
Desperado

I'm with you Dzung. As long as it looks perfect cosmetically, I'm happy with a rebuilt unit.

------------------
Take Care,
merc
merc\'s primary system

#39341 - 08/30/02 02:18 PM Re: From other forums... I respond.
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
I will be sending mine back. I only have real hiss on analog and it is not audible from listening positions but I still want the new unit simply for the peace of mind of knowing mine is normal. I wish they were new, if not, non used refurbs, but in any case I am with Dzung and Merc on this one and will be satisfied with an updated 950.

#39342 - 08/30/02 03:09 PM Re: From other forums... I respond.
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
I take it back. I have nothing to say.

[This message has been edited by bobliinds (edited August 31, 2002).]

#39343 - 08/30/02 04:14 PM Re: From other forums... I respond.
JGB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
"The ideal for me would be the option to hear both in my home, which apparently isn't in the cards for Outlaw".

But Bob you can. Oh wait its a unit that they fixed that "may" have been returned, or maybe was never on the street, but you can hear a second unit in your home, while still having the first in your home.

Awhile back I thought I would have had a problem with this, but not anymore. I really do not get why anyone would have a problem with this. Its a freeking $899.00 product, not a $40,000 car, or something else very costly. Christ, when Dell sold me my computer with a wonderful "3 year" warranty, they never mentioned "refurbished" parts would be in the cards for future repairs.

Bottom line, there is no/zero risk here. You get a "fixed" unit, inspect it, plug it in and listen/evaluate it for a couple of weeks and make a decision. If you want it, keep it. If you like your original, send it back. The backlash from all of this is absolutely amazing.

I realize that Outlaw is saying that if your unit is good, it's good. As much as I like the 950 and Outlaw, after all this company and I (and my fellow Outlaw owners and wait-listers) have been
through ... well ... I guess I just don't believe them. I believe in their earnest committment to doing the right thing; but I have to admit I've lost faith in the credibility of their public utterances.

What a load of hooey. I say you'll never be satisfied (either worried something might go wrong, or your precious "resale" value may be harmed if you keep the first one) with this product. You should return it and buy the Rotel or something else!

[This message has been edited by JGB (edited September 03, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by JGB (edited September 03, 2002).]

#39344 - 08/30/02 04:17 PM Re: From other forums... I respond.
merc Offline
Desperado

Bob, If you unit hisses at all then you have a unit that will be replaced at your decision. You really don't have to lie at all in order to get one of the fixed units. The other major advantage of the new hiss-fixed units is that the warranty clock gets reset to when you receive the new unit.
merc\'s primary system

#39345 - 08/30/02 08:56 PM Re: From other forums... I respond.
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for reading what I actually wrote, Merc. You were very helpful. I guess I'm going for the mod.

[This message has been edited by bobliinds (edited August 31, 2002).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts