Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#37183 - 06/15/02 02:09 PM Use of Philips cBright 2 Projector
Scott R. Burns Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
I have purchased this unit for use in my theatre and I have a cabling concern. For the component input it comes in through the computer (VGA like) connector. It appears it requires the 3 component cables (like RGB) + 1 sync cable. On the diagram in the manual it is labelled: Pr/Cr = Red, Y/Y = Green, Pb/Cb = Blue, Y/S (Yellow) = Grey. I think the Y/S is a composite video port ? Does this make any sense ? Can the 950 drive this ?

------------------
Scott Burns
Scott.Burns@Netcontech.Com

#37184 - 06/16/02 10:11 AM Re: Use of Philips cBright 2 Projector
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I looked online some at the cBright SV2 (I think that's the one you mean -- here is the manual I found at Philips.com). The best I can tell from the manual is that it has composite video, s-video, and VGA inputs. Page 13 of the manual indicated that you could use a VGA breakout cable to connect the three ports of a component video output to one end of a VGA breakout cable ( bigger picture here ) using the red, green, and blue connectors and just not use the grey and black.

Will the 950 drive this? If the manual is correct, you can connect your DVD player to a component video input on the 950 and a breakout cable to the component video output on the 950 and it will work. The bigger question is can you connect a component video output that way -- you'd need to do that anyway at the DVD player unless your player has a VGA output. All the 950 is doing is providing switching for the component video. I haven't ever messed with VGA breakout cables, so I'm basing that solely on the manual.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#37185 - 06/16/02 10:56 AM Re: Use of Philips cBright 2 Projector
Scott R. Burns Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
Thanks. I was looking on pg 13 as well. And all items shown there show > 3 cables being connected, on the bottom two options show 4. Is the Y/S (Yellow) connector they show probably the composite video connector ?
I remember something during the demo about connecting a 4th cable to the composite video connector on the DVD player they were using for demo. If it was the composite connector is the 950 composite connector being fed video while I am using the component connectors ?

------------------
Scott Burns
Scott.Burns@Netcontech.Com

#37186 - 06/16/02 12:12 PM Re: Use of Philips cBright 2 Projector
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott R. Burns:
Thanks. I was looking on pg 13 as well. And all items shown there show > 3 cables being connected, on the bottom two options show 4. Is the Y/S (Yellow) connector they show probably the composite video connector ?
I remember something during the demo about connecting a 4th cable to the composite video connector on the DVD player they were using for demo. If it was the composite connector is the 950 composite connector being fed video while I am using the component connectors ?

The copy of the manual I found online showed three options on page 13: all five (RGBHV) hooked up, 4 of the 5 hooked up, and only 3 hooked up. If in fact the projector needs four cables hooked up (which I didn't think was the case, but this isn't something I've messed with a log), you would need to do something like the following:

- component video and composite video from DVD to 950
- component video and composite video monitor outs to the VGA breakout cable for the projector

The problem then is that you'll get OSD info from the composite but not the component (using the VCR video output could get you out of that snag, maybe). I would probably consider bypassing the 950 entirely if you need to connect four of the cables, go straight from DVD player to projector.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts