Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#85287 - 12/12/10 05:50 PM For the remote: ditch IR, use zigbee
Lone Shepherd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Northern VA
This seems like a no-brainer for a boutique brand like Outlaw.

I have a 950, which is nice enough, but am having lots of issues with it being unresponsive to the remote, especially when my (plasma) TV is on. IR is slow, requires line-of-sight, and is easily interfered with by plasma TVs.

Using something like zigbee, or another IEEE 802.15.4-2003 protocol seems like the way to go. Supposedly it's low cost, and extremely low-power -- you could power a remote control for 10 years off of a watch battery.

It would also be a great component in today's modern homes, as zigbee is becoming a popular communication method for home automation (thermostats, remote-controlled deadbolts, garage door openers, lights, etc).

Would love to see the next flagship Outlaw device lead the way forward in the market. Let's get rid of IR!

#90164 - 04/25/12 11:39 AM Re: For the remote: ditch IR, use zigbee [Re: Lone Shepherd]
old_school_2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
I know that you can buy CAT5e to RS-232 adapters...I'm thinking about doing this for my 990. Basically, this requires that a GUI be written (for something like a laptop, tablet, android etc) that drives the RS-232 commands for the CAT5e/RS-232 box.

Personally, I love this idea...but sure, for future product, a wi-fi or wired ethernet port would be a great way to provide control to the unit from any device that happens to be on your home network (and provide the app with the purchase).

Mark
email: mark@immersifi.com
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-jay/5/82a/237

Who's Online
0 registered (), 121 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM