Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35455 - 09/13/06 11:11 AM LFM1 Tweaks
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Anyone try any tweaks for their LFM1? (i.e. upgrading the power cord and experimenting with subwoofer cables) I'm considering both in the near-term and was wondering if anyone had any first-hand experiences.

I am currently using the stock power cord and a cheapo Dayton subwoofer cable. I've been eyeing one of the PS Audio power cords and have heard good things about CatCables Coolcat sub cable. One thing about this hobby: too many cool things, not enough money!)

Meantime, I have had good luck upgrading the supplied speaker spikes to a set of Dayton Audios that do a much better job piercing through my thick carpet and pad into the concrete floor.

If you have thick carpet and can't seem to get your subwoofer feet to "bite" into the floor beneath it, I highly recommend the following: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=240-715
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#35456 - 09/16/06 05:24 PM Re: LFM1 Tweaks
sportsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Metrowest Boston
Do you honestly think replacing the POWER CORD is going to improve the audio? COME ON>
Is your sub hundreds of feet away?

This kind of stuff is where audio as a hobby becomes insane.

#35457 - 09/18/06 11:34 AM Re: LFM1 Tweaks
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Oh yes... it already has. My PS Audio Prelude showed up on Friday. I tried a limited experiment this weekend and noticed a difference right off the bat on a Kraftwerk CD that has a lot of low bass. It improved the articulation of some of the bass notes (making them less one-notey sounding) My wife noticed too, and seh's a real skeptic when it comes to this sort of thing. I hope to try some of my favorite bass DVDs this week and will report back.

Actually, audio-grade power cords have been around since I was selling audio gear in the late 80s and are well established as a cost-effective tweak in much the same was as interconnect upgrades. You have to have a good euipment as the starting point of course, these sort of system enhancements would probably make no discernable difference in a home theater-in-a-box system or cheapo stereo.
System Pics

#35458 - 05/29/07 08:08 AM Re: LFM1 Tweaks
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
I use the MIT Z-Cord 2 on my LFM-1 Plus sub, as well as on the 990. It helps clean the AC going into the product, which in the end will produce a cleaner sound.

I wish the 7125 had a removable power cord!

#35459 - 05/30/07 04:08 PM Re: LFM1 Tweaks
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

FAUguy: I'd forgotten about this thread until you resurrected it!

I wound up stealing my PS Audio cord from the sub for my main power amp. Since then, I feel like something is missing from my sub, so at some point, I'm going to get another cord for the amp and put the Prelude back on the LFM-1.

I know there are a lot of folks on these board who think the whole idea of after-market power cords is nutty, but in my system, I've had too many confirmations that they help (albeit more incrementally than other upgrades).
System Pics

#35460 - 05/31/07 03:02 AM Re: LFM1 Tweaks
loopy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central Ma.
Hi Videodrome, you might want to check music direct, they sometimes have the ps audio cables in their demo and closeout section if you are looking to save some money. I also have a prelude on my subs.

#35461 - 05/31/07 08:16 PM Re: LFM1 Tweaks
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally posted by Videodrome:
I know there are a lot of folks on these board who think the whole idea of after-market power cords is nutty, but in my system, I've had too many confirmations that they help (albeit more incrementally than other upgrades).
Well, the power cord for the LFM-1 is one of the cheapest-looking power cords I have ever seen in a piece of audio equipment. I am one of those skeptical ones but I am with you at least on the LFM-1.
Where do I get one of those cords? I would "upgrade" even if is just for looks.

#35462 - 05/31/07 08:40 PM Re: LFM1 Tweaks
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Looks? You LOOK at subwoofers? And here I'm trying to figure out where to hide it if I get one.

#35463 - 05/31/07 09:34 PM Re: LFM1 Tweaks
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
What I meant is that the thing doesn't "look" adequate. It is out of sight.

#35464 - 06/03/07 01:15 PM Re: LFM1 Tweaks
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
Quote:
Originally posted by garcianc2003:
Quote:
Originally posted by Videodrome:
[b]I know there are a lot of folks on these board who think the whole idea of after-market power cords is nutty, but in my system, I've had too many confirmations that they help (albeit more incrementally than other upgrades).
Well, the power cord for the LFM-1 is one of the cheapest-looking power cords I have ever seen in a piece of audio equipment. I am one of those skeptical ones but I am with you at least on the LFM-1.
Where do I get one of those cords? I would "upgrade" even if is just for looks. [/b]
I think anyone spending $1000 for a power cable to feed a $50 class D amplifier is out of their tree. If there was any truth to these aftermarket wonder cables "cleaning up the sound" it would be a simple matter of a before and after scope of the same bit of music to "prove" it.

I generally make my own power cables so I can control the length and use shielded cable, but expecting life altering changes in the music due to this "tweak" strikes me as a bit unrealistic. Stop in an actual recording studio sometime and look at the quality of the cabling used there (where they actually produce the signal that you're trying to reproduce). :-)

Best,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts