Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#35251 - 08/25/05 07:42 PM My experience with STF-2 and LMF1
mendes9 Offline
Gunslinger

When the STF-2 went on Sale at Comp usa for $199, I was lucky to buy one. I installed it in my approx 24x16 basement home theater. I was pleased and surprised how much output this little guy could put out. But I felt I wanted a little more.... and I know that perhaps this little guy as good as it is, would not put out enough for this room.

Outlaw had a sale on B-Stock LMF-1 for $399, so I sold my STF-2 on Fleabay for a good profit, and bought the LMF-1 what a deal...

OK, now for the comparison. Immediately the LMF-1 went louder and deeper, this I totally expected. If fills the room very nicely, whereas I thought the STF-2 was reaching it's limits.

Now, I'm hapy with the LMF-1 no issue, however, I miss something from STF-2. I don't know how to explain it, while the LMF-1 goes louder and deeper, it doesn't seem to reproduce or hit as hard with higher frequencies. Let me explain. For example, the movie Master and Commander, chapter 4, I belevie it is, when they fire the cannons... the STF-2 while doesn't go as low or loud as the LMF-1, I felt it hit harder in my chest. You guys know what I mean? ONce again, the STF-2 doesn't fill the room as the LMF-1 does, or go as deep, but that upper bass frequencies seem to HIT harder than the LMF-1. I just miss that. Is this just a characteristic of the sub?

#35252 - 08/26/05 01:14 PM Re: My experience with STF-2 and LMF1
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I noticed something similar going from a 12" PSB to a Onix Rocket UFW-10. The 12" psb would go deeper, making pictures on the walls and items on shelves vibrate and rattle. The UFW-10, while not going as deep, seems to hit harder in the upper-low bass. The PSB is ported and has 180watts, and the UFW is sealed with 500watts.

I wanted a cleaner, more accurate sub for music and the Rocket delivers in that area. Sometimes I think some "Boom" is missing for movies, but the overall sound beats the boom factor.

#35253 - 08/26/05 01:38 PM Re: My experience with STF-2 and LMF1
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Since mendes9 mentions that the two seemed to differ most at the higher frequencies, and Cadboy mentions a similar experience going from a 12" sub to a 10" sub, could some of the difference be due to the fact that a 12" driver (such as the one used in the LFM-1) is going to drop off more rapidly at the higher frequencies than a 10" driver (such as the ones used in the STF-2 and UFW-10)? I'm not sure how the four subs mentioned in this thread compare at higher frequencies, so I may be off target with this thought.

Also, I always suggest tinkering a bit with the bass management when changing subs - I was able to push the crossover up from 40Hz to 60Hz when I got the LFM-1 and still have it blend smoothly with my mains on two-channel material, and changes like that can yield some interesting results sometimes.

#35254 - 08/26/05 03:53 PM Re: My experience with STF-2 and LMF1
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I'm not sure why, but it may have something to do with the design goals of the different subs.

The UFW-10 is designed for linear output from 30-35hz and up. Since it is sealed, it rolls off much more gradually, and very linearly, below it's rated low freq. point. The 500 watts and high excursion woofer doesn't hurt either. I don't really know for sure, especially since the STF-2 is a ported, downfiring design with less power exhibiting the same thing!

#35255 - 08/26/05 05:41 PM Re: My experience with STF-2 and LMF1
mendes9 Offline
Gunslinger

It sounds like cadboy knows what I mean. I have it crossed ove at the same freq. as I did with the STF-2 which is 80hz. I posted the same question over at HSU forum, and only response that makes sense is at 20hz the HSu VTF-2 hit's 93db at 20hz, where as teh LMF-1 only hit's 83db. This is according to Tom Nousiane's measured data at http://members.cox.net/fabulousfrankie/Nousaine.htm

I have to play with it a little more.. but I have to say that although the LMF-1 gives more BASS FILL, it doesn't hit as hard as the STF-2. Anyone out there compare LMF-1 to a VTF-3?

#35256 - 08/27/05 12:40 AM Re: My experience with STF-2 and LMF1
Wayne Charlton Offline
Gunslinger

#35257 - 08/27/05 09:46 AM Re: My experience with STF-2 and LMF1
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
I'd have to agree on the ported vs sealed subwoofer differences in sound. To my ears, the sealed subs are VASTLY superior in producing clean bass. The tradeoff (not mentioned above) is that they are normally rather inefficient and quite a bit more expensive than their ported brethren. For pure theater use, it doesn't really matter if the bass is a bit boomy. However, I do notice it with the LFM-1 for 2-channel audio use on occasion.

Cheers,

#35258 - 08/28/05 09:38 PM Re: My experience with STF-2 and LMF1
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
Actually, I find that I have to cut the LFM-1 some slack. I had some friends over last night and they suggested I move the maggies further away from the wall behind them and and a bit further apart...much of the "boom" suddenly went away. I always assumed that Maggies were somewhat lacking down in the "boom" region, but I guess they can do that too given the right room conditions.

Cheers,

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts