Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#34958 - 01/27/05 08:31 PM LFM has a film
MurphyMan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: tampa
Had my LFM(s) packed and stored for 5 months waiting for the HT to get done. When I opened them up and undressed them, the clear film on top came off in layers. Left behind is splotchy film layers here and there. Anybody have that problem and how did you strip it off?

#34959 - 01/27/05 09:34 PM Re: LFM has a film
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Where were they stored? Was it a conditioned storage space?

#34960 - 01/28/05 09:21 AM Re: LFM has a film
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello MurphyMan,

Please give Steve a call at 866-OUTLAWS. We will help you get this resolved right away.

Scott

#34961 - 01/28/05 11:20 PM Re: LFM has a film
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
I had a similar problem last year when I got my LFM-1 but I wasn't going to breach the subject on the forum until someone else brought it up. Since you have done just that I'll relate my experience. When I unpacked the sub (minutes after receiving it, no storage time) I left the film in place on the top. My thinking at the time was that I would leave it protected in case there were any problems with the unit and it needed to be returned. After using it for about 10 days, maybe 2 weeks, and being satisfied with the performance I felt comfortable removing the film since I would be keeping it. That's when I ran into trouble like you. The film would not peel off very well and would come apart easily. I couldn't even get it all off. Beyond that, it seems like the adhesive used to hold it to the plexiglas top was somehow reactive and had attacked the plastic. Instead of a nice smooth, glass like finish it had a blotchy leather-like appearance. Gentle cleaning gave no improvement. I sent an e-mail to customer service and got immediate response from Steve and Scott. They replaced the sub pronto and were very interested since I had the first complaint on a LFM-1. After some research by Scott he called me back with some feedback on what he learned from their vendor. Yes, the adhesive will start to attack the plexiglas if left on too long. I didn't think 2 weeks was too long and neither did Scott. The Outlaws were not satisfied with this any more than I was and they told me they would be doing some further research and indicated that maybe there would be some production changes. I don't know if that ever came to pass. Since no one brought up the subject in the forum (until now) I suspected that some changes were made, but I just don't know. The replacement unit arrived in good shape and I peeled the protective film off immediately. It came off quite easily and the top looked great.

Now some bad news: Since then there has been a slow deterioration in the appearance in the top of the replacement unit. I now see a greyish blotchiness in the top. I'm guessing that the adhesive used to glue it to the top of the cabinet is reacting with the plexiglas on the underside. The sub is kind of hidden from view so it hasn't been a real big deal for us so we have just been living with it. It's not getting any better though.

Curious side note: When I originally purchased the LFM-1 I got together with a friend and ordered 2 so we could get better pricing. His unit looked good from the start and has not changed (he removed the film immediately). In discussion with Scott we wondered if there was something in my environment that would have accelerated the reaction. But our home is about as typical as you can get and there was no exposure to sunlight, temperature extremes or unusual solvents, fumes or chemicals. The only one wild guess I could come up with is that our family room, where the system is set up, has some wood paneling installed as wainscoting and I've heard that paneling can outgas formaldehyde. Even if that was true in the past I'm not sure if that applies to modern materials (the paneling is probably less than 15 years old). Now I'm curious if other LFM owners are seeing anything like this too?

#34962 - 01/29/05 09:37 AM Re: LFM has a film
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
Tekdredger"
Well after reading your post, I to am auditioning an LFM-1 sub and did not take off the "protective film" from atop the sub...WHAT KIND OF ALIEN GLUE is used to hold this protective wrap on??? It came off about a square inch at a time...ugh!
Any ideas what is best to clean the top...don't want to scratch or cloud the plexiglass top.
Thanks,
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#34963 - 01/29/05 02:09 PM Re: LFM has a film
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by silversport:
Tekdredger"

Any ideas what is best to clean the top...don't want to scratch or cloud the plexiglass top.
Thanks,
Bill
I didn't use anything stronger than Windex on the original unit but that didn't work very well. It seems that the plexiglas was softened by the glue and had a tendency to smear when I cleaned it. Since receiving the replacement I haven't used anything more than Windex on it either but since I removed the film immediately on that one I didn't have the smearing problem. I just took another close look and the leathery look is returning to the top surface now and the grey blotchiness on the underside is spreading. I would guess about 80% of it looks gray. I think the grey look is from very small gas bubbles forming underneath causing a delamination. I think this must be a poor grade of plexiglas that it softens so easily. Ultimately, I would like to be able to remove the plexiglas and replace it with a piece of dark glass.

#34964 - 01/29/05 02:34 PM Re: LFM has a film
silversport Offline
Desperado

just a thought but if the "glass" is plastic...Windex might be too strong for it (amonia?)
Thanks,
Bill

#34965 - 01/29/05 03:17 PM Re: LFM has a film
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Actually we use an "ammonia free" formula. Even at that it's only seen a light spritz a couple of times. It's ususally just dusted off with a soft flannel cloth.

#34966 - 01/29/05 03:29 PM Re: LFM has a film
silversport Offline
Desperado

Cool...good to know!
Bill

#34967 - 01/29/05 07:29 PM Re: LFM has a film
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

One of my personal pet peeves with made-in-China products is that the Chinese have not quite mastered "plastics" and other such materials.

Ever notice how much different their shrink-wrap feels?

Or how the plastic in most of their products smells different?

I'm probably more environmentally intolerant to certain products than most and I've had cases where I've felt ill after ripping the shrink-wrap of a blank VHS case. It has only happenned when they are made in China.

It would not surprise me if they also had problems with the adhesives that they use - as well as the plastics.

It's not something that most companies who source their products from China would necessarily either care about - or give much attention to - especially if they had no reason to believe that there might be differences. (Plastic is plastic - right? Not to my nose.)

Jeff Mackwood

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM