Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#35127 - 03/30/05 09:01 PM Unpaid Consulting
lgeis Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Home theatre application. Room is roughly square, 20'x20' with a 10' ceiling, and opens into a common area of about 600 square feet with the same 10' ceiling.

Existing speakers are Vandersteens (2ci's) driven with far too much amp, but that's a different story. The 2Ci's are great for music but the variety of digital sound effects in Lord of the Rings and other contemporary DVD's are driving them batty on the low end. You know what I mean.

So...it's time for a sub. Or subs. I've done a lot of research in the ~$1.5K range...there's plenty out there...obviously a pair of LFM's is on the short list.

I've got the amperage to support a couple of 525 watt BASH amp units. I have the space and spousal sanction for placement. What I'm concerned about is my choice of two 25Hz units vice say, a single larger 20Hz or less unit such as an SVS or Axiom. And SPL. I like to feel my movies.

Has anyone here any experience with one LFM in a space of 4000 cubic feet open into an even larger room? Or two LFMs?

And, is -2db@25Hz sufficient for the truly extraordinary deep work, particularly in such a relatively large area?

Thanks!

#35128 - 03/31/05 04:59 PM Re: Unpaid Consulting
Dean Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Springfield, OH
My HT room is about the same size as yours (15x30 with 9 ft. ceiling opening up into another room at the back) and I just ordered an LFM-1 today. I will let you know how it sounds.

#35129 - 03/31/05 07:20 PM Re: Unpaid Consulting
lgeis Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Dean! I'm planning on ordering as soon as the decision on which brand to purchase is made.

I owe you one!...er, at least, I will owe you one!

#35130 - 04/06/05 01:00 PM Re: Unpaid Consulting
Dean Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

My LFM-1 just showed up today. I'll get it plugged in tonight and let you know how it went.

#35131 - 04/06/05 09:21 PM Re: Unpaid Consulting
lgeis Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Fabulous!

I've ordered an Adcom 545 MkII to drive my Vandersteens and am going to use my existing solid state amp (150 W/Ch 8, will drive 6 or 4 Ohms as well) to either drive my new sub/s or biamp the Vandersteens. I'm very interested to hear about your hookup experience and configuation, please.

Thanks!

#35132 - 04/07/05 09:52 PM Re: Unpaid Consulting
lgeis Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Now, I just wanna make the point that if I had received a new toy over 24 hours ago I would have already moved it 8 times, photographed it 5 times, rewired it four times, and e-mailed (or posted) at least twice for my buds to stay up to date on.

Then...in the second hour...

#35133 - 04/08/05 08:00 AM Re: Unpaid Consulting
Dean Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Nag, nag, nag.

OK, I'm sorry for not posting sooner but I had a couple trees partially fall down in my yard from a bad storm and they needed to be cut down for safety reasons.

I did get the LFM-1 setup and ran a few movies through the system. It is a very powerful device that surprised me in a few ways.

First big surprise is that I can shake my whole house with it. I don't recommend that volumes this high are good for the house or the sub-woofer ... but it is possible.

Second big surprise is that the sub-woofer is quiet when it needs to be and only really becomes apparent when called up to do its duty. This is actually how I found out that the LFM-1 could shake the house. I wasn't sure it was working so I turned up the volume and ... well, you get the picture.

Having said all of this, I do believe that rooms like ours would get a better sound response with 2 sub-woofers. It would help with standing waves and sound quality.

I imagine there are more HT purists that would say we should instead adjust our room dynamics (i.e. close off the back section) to create a better listening environment. If you go this route ... then a single LFM-1 contains PLENTY of punch.

#35134 - 04/08/05 02:39 PM Re: Unpaid Consulting
lgeis Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Wow! I trust everything is allright with the tree issue, Dean.

It sounds like your verdict is that subsonic performance is respectable and the integration is seamless. Glad to hear. Thankee.

I can't even begin to describe the response I'd get from Genghis Spouse if I tried to rework the architecture on the first floor...there are several hundred feet of Brazilian Cherry flooring to contend with, for one thing, and that would just be so wrong. She'll tolerate a lot, but not that much...

I trust your enjoyment will grow, and I am indebted for your opinion. Thanks! Please feel free to update as you work your way through placement and crossover adjustments. Whatever I end up with will be placed adjacent to speakers, not in a corner, so I'm a bit tentative...

/nag. Ha!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM