Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#34808 - 07/14/04 08:01 PM LFM1 magnet vs Velodyne DPS12
Faust Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Velodyne DPS12 was recently released, with similar specs, size, weight, and price vs the LFM1.
http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/product.aspx?ID=9

The DPS12 has a 55 oz. (3.5 lbs) magnet, 25-120 Hz (+/- 3 dB), Class A/B 200W amplifier, and is Digitally Controlled with Front Touch-Panel Controls.

Having a cat I don't know if I would care to have the digital control panel on top (the cat might keep changing the settings to his preference), nor another electronic item in the subwoofer that could go bad, but it is interesting. In addition, the DPS12 has a 15 coat hand rubbed gloss coat that appears quite nice in the picture.

Nevertheless, I am leaning towards the LFM1, as it has a more powerful amp, very attractive finish, outstanding specs and reviews, and will just about fit in my allocated space, and probably pass wife muster! But I would like to know, not that it is a decision breaker, just how large the LFM1 driver magnet is. Anyone know?

#34809 - 07/14/04 10:41 PM Re: LFM1 magnet vs Velodyne DPS12
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't know what the magnet is; you might ask Outlaw. It's a great sub.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#34810 - 07/14/04 11:34 PM Re: LFM1 magnet vs Velodyne DPS12
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i can speak for the velodyne's finish, it is nice and shiny! same finish that is on my sub i presume...

seriously though, i have not heard this new line from them, but like all their other stuff, im sure its good.

i dont know that digital processing would outweigh a more powerful amp though...

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#34811 - 07/14/04 11:36 PM Re: LFM1 magnet vs Velodyne DPS12
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
it is interesting to see what some companies include in specs and what others dont. some standardization would be nice.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#34812 - 07/15/04 09:39 AM Re: LFM1 magnet vs Velodyne DPS12
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Perhaps for some people these DPS series subs will seem attractive. My guess is that there is nothing substantially new or better about these. Why? The information given on the web page has marketing/sales origins without describing something new from an engineering or acoustical point of view. Questions that come to my mind:

I find DSP selections (Hall, Studio, etc.) on my pre/pro to be unnecessary, why, if I take the time and care to properly set up my sub(s) to integrate well with the rest of my system, would I need DSP settings for my sub? While this gimmick (my humble opinion) may garner additional sales of Velodyne equipment to the average consumer, after the purchase, is the consumer really going to get up and change the setting on the sub every time they choose a different type of source? I think the consumer will end up picking a level/favorite setting and just leaving it set that way anyway. Conclusion: The additional control is a partial substitute for not finding the best location and level setting for a sub in a given room. This sub is to increase sales, not to provide something better than the competition. (I have no problem with Velodyne being in business to make money, that’s true for almost any business.)

The Velodyne is front-firing, both the driver and the port. The LFM-1 is down-firing, both the driver and the ports. If set on a level floor, the top of the LFM-1 can also be level, the top of the Velodyne appears mildly curved and slanted. (Was someone at Velodyne thinking of wind tunnel drag reduction? Not likely. Probably thinking about consumer styling instead of better utility.)

I think the available amplifier power is one aspect in Outlaw’s favor. However this factor cannot be considered alone.

Magnet size? I think that there are so many factors in driver design that asking for a consumer decision based on magnet size is once again a means employed by a marketing department to reduce rather involved performance issues to a single number that oversimplifies the situation but tends to make the consumer more confident, whether or not that confidence has any basis in overall fact.

Until we see a technical/performance comparison, such as the one mentioned in this post by gonk, the potential purchaser is without sufficient information. In the case of these low-cost Velodyne subs vs. Outlaw, I would lean in Outlaw’s direction.

#34813 - 10/17/04 05:16 PM Re: LFM1 magnet vs Velodyne DPS12
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
A speaker's magnet weight or size has no bearing on the performance of the speaker. What does matter is the magnetic flux density and magnetic flux density linearity in the path of the voice coil.

When was the last time you bought an amplifier based on main transformer weight? Was your car purchase based on the length or weight of the engine? When was the last time you dated someone based on the size of their ... oops, nevermind on that last one. wink wink wink

Paul

#34814 - 10/17/04 07:55 PM Re: LFM1 magnet vs Velodyne DPS12
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
A destinction should be made between magnet weight and magnetic assembly weight. The only weight that matters is that of the magnet it's self, and the marketing types usually quote the weight of the magnetic assembly, not just the weight of the magnet. Additionally, not all magnetic materials have equal magnetic flux density per unit of weight.

All things being equal, a larger and stronger magnet (with a correspondingly larger voice coil assembly) will have more motor strength than a small assembly - no surprise there.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM