Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#34656 - 01/31/04 06:15 PM LFM1 and stereo music
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
OK it is time for my stupid question but I am here to learn. Just received the LFM 1; does the subwoofer come on with stereo music played on a CD player with analog inputs only? I am using a DELOS test disc with freq from 160 down to 20hz. At 34 Hz my front speakers fizzle (as is to be expected) but I do not "hear" or feel any bass below 34Hz. Can some one help me. I am crossovered at 40Hz. Does subwoofer only come into play on the 6 channel and DVD discs only? Help I am a subwoofer novice.

#34657 - 01/31/04 06:49 PM Re: LFM1 and stereo music
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
I do not own the LFM-1, but let me try to trouble shoot this. I am assuming you have the 950, go into its set up menu and see if you have set the subwoofer to "on." Is your sub plugged into a "live" outlet? Is your sub set for "auto on?" Is your cable plugged into the correct output of the 950? Have you increased the sub trim level on the 950? How high is the sub's volume level? Your sub should work on all inputs unless your have set your mains to "large" and have selected "bypass."

#34658 - 01/31/04 08:13 PM Re: LFM1 and stereo music
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Raider -- the sub's role in CD playback will be based on what your receiver or pre/pro is doing, as Alejate has touched on. In a stereo bypass mode or with a six-channel analog input, the sub would not be used (unless you have a 950 and have it configured in a certain way). When using a digital input to receiver or pre/pro, the bass management settings will rule; in that case, the sub would be used if the mains are set to "small".

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#34659 - 01/31/04 08:45 PM Re: LFM1 and stereo music
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

I have my front left and right set to large (my fronts are +3db at 34Hz) and I do have a 950 with the fronts set to crossover at 40Hz. I do have the subwoofer set to on and get sound when I am setting my sound levels. Am I right to think that setting my fronts to large is the mistake? Should theu be set to small and then set crossover at 40Hz?
Thanks and appreciate the help.

#34660 - 01/31/04 09:04 PM Re: LFM1 and stereo music
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

It's a choice - not a mistake - to set your bass-capable speakers to "large" and not redirect any bass to your sub. If you want to let your sub in on the fun, set them to "small" and the crossover to 40 Hz. (Some would argue 60 Hz - or higher. Do what sounds best to you.)

I just spent the whole afternoon listening to several bass-gifted CDs - with not a peep out of any of my four subs. But when I popped-in a DVD with loads of LFEs, they were no longer bystanders.

It's a matter of taste - and choice depending on the rest of your system.

Jeff Mackwood

#34661 - 01/31/04 09:25 PM Re: LFM1 and stereo music
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Setting my fronts to small and crossed over to 40HZ did the trick . The LFM came alive on DVDs. I have not tried the stereo only stuff yet but at least I now know my LFM1 is
not asleep.
I see your point about a matter of taste. I can set to large and let my fronts bass rule or set to large and let the sub kick in.
Thanks

#34662 - 02/13/04 12:35 PM Re: LFM1 and stereo music
BenCosta Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Raider,

You're going to love this sub in stereo mode. It is sooo fast. Let us know what you think when you get a chance to listen to some music.

------------------
Peace-

Ben

[This message has been edited by BenCosta (edited February 13, 2004).]

Ben

#34663 - 02/15/04 06:05 PM Re: LFM1 and stereo music
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

I was in another room with some stereo music on and heard a very tight thump, thump. I checked the light on my LFM and sure enough the light was green. Wow, it sounded terrific. So I sat down, turned on Goodbye yellow brick road in SACD and sat back and wow again.I had been missing some bass in the 6 channel SACD mode. If I only had this stuff back when this originally came out and my hearing was much younger. This is what it is all about. Pure pleasure in every note with the 9500/7100 and the LFM providing some incredible bottom to the experience. I am looking for all my "old" music on SACD/DVD audio. Will go broke but it is now worth it.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts