Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34263 - 11/24/04 04:59 PM outlet's Doing a remodel
Grizzly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Elmira, New York
Remodleing a back room 12x24 what should i consider when wiring outlets, for the future tv and a receiver or the outlaw bundle 950/7100 ?

Anything to consider, things that people wish they could but can't since it would creat a mess to do?

I have the chance to do it right the first time!!!

#34264 - 11/24/04 05:07 PM Re: outlet's Doing a remodel
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
A dedicated 15A circuit is definitely worthwhile if you can do it, possibly serving a quad receptacle (two regular "duplex" two-plug outlets side-by-side in the same box). You might even consider giving yourself two dedicated circuits, just to give you the resources to (for example) support a really big amp like the 770 plus a couple powered subs and a rear projection TV. Putting in a dedicated circuit at my old house to feed a quad outlet behind the entertainment center proved very useful for reducing hum in the system (which had previously been coming across the shared circuit from the refrigerator). In the new house, the circuit that serves the home theater isn't dedicated, but it's pretty lightly loaded aside from the home theater components.

#34265 - 11/24/04 07:52 PM Re: outlet's Doing a remodel
grundrc Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montgomery, TX
When I did my dedicated HT in my new condo about a year ago, we put in 5 seperate circuits.

1-20 amp for the three front speakers, all of which have powered subwoofers built in.

1-20 amp for the Outlaw 770 amp. (I would probably do this different, knowing what I have learned through this forum, if I had not already owned the 770, and have a couple dedicated circuits feeding the 3 front channels and the surrounds on seperate amps. But, the way it is done works pretty well.)

1-20 amp for the front projector.

1-15 amp for the rest of the equipment.

1-15 amp for all the rest of the general outlets in the room.

Regardless, of how you go, be sure to keep your power cords separated from your a/v connectors.

Also, I'd use separate serge protectors for your a/v equipment and amps (if you aren't utilizing a receiver.)

These last two items will go a long way in minimizing the opportunity for ground loop hum.

Just my thoughts. It isn't cheap, but it's a lot less to do it right now, as you obviously already know. I'm sure there are lots more ideas out there in this forum from people who are a lot more technically astute about these issues than I am.

#34266 - 11/24/04 11:52 PM Re: outlet's Doing a remodel
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
this is not about electrical outlets, but i have some advice for speaker boxes. if you had the chance to pre-wire some boxes that you can connect speakers too (particularly the rears), then i would do it. they make these already, so you can purchase them, install them and run the wires to them and to a place where you would put your components. connecting the speakers later. it makes for a nice clean setup, without wires running everywhere or having to be hidden. id recommend multiple circuits as well, also having one for your subwoofer, as a lot of nice subs today are in the +1000wt range.

using outlets with surge protection integrated into them would be a great idea as well, thus the lack of need for another surge protector. you could always mount a line conditioner inline with the power before the outlet, if that is something that you are concerned about.

its better to have too many outlets, than not enough... who knows what they will develop next for the home audio market...

also if you plan on having a projector, then an outlet where it will be mounted would be handy. also pre-run all the wires for it...

#34267 - 11/25/04 02:36 AM Re: outlet's Doing a remodel
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
While I don’t recommend it if you have the opportunity to do better, but I thought I’d offer this information:

I’m running all the gear on one 15-amp circuit, including an Outlaw 770 amp and two subs that could potentially pull 600 watts each. I can raise the volume to ear ringing levels without tripping the breaker. So, six circuits may be near overkill if your needs are not great.

If I were constructing a room from scratch, in addition to enough mains power to meet future needs, I’d run conduit for audio/video/data cables/fiber anywhere they might need to go. This conduit would never be for power, and would allow the use of cable not rated for in-wall since the cable will be entirely within conduit while in the walls or ceiling. The conduit would be the largest diameter practical and with the most gentle curves to aid in later cable pulling. Within all conduit runs, I’d also leave some strong pull-line for future use. Later, when pulling in new cable, also pull in a replacement pull-line.

#34268 - 11/25/04 07:44 AM Re: outlet's Doing a remodel
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Home Theater Fourm has a good thread with suggestions and ideas from folks that have "finished" HT projects.

Things I wish I would have done differently in my project Page

#34269 - 11/25/04 11:14 AM Re: outlet's Doing a remodel
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
You may also want to check out avsforum. They have a Home Theater Builder Forum that has a lot of great information, tips and images.

#34270 - 11/27/04 09:36 AM Re: outlet's Doing a remodel
Grizzly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Elmira, New York
Thanks everyone, I planned on the speaker wires in the wall, the wife would be happy with that lol!!!!!!

My major thing is the amp breaker for the equipment. My intentions is to have the pre/amp or receiver/amp or power sub, the dvd player, tv(proably larger screen crt), and the playstation2. It looks i will have to get new speakers the wife took over my other ones in the office and the old receiver.... o RATS :p

I just going to set it up for movies, it proably 90% tv, movie watching, and 10 music in that room. if i ever decide to run multizone in other rooms in the house i would simply run them thru the basement.

But have one more question

What size electrical wire to run for the equipment, standard outlet size, or something a bit beefer something like for freezers.

I just hope i don't have to upgrade the electrical service, we have 110, but proably should just get it to 220.

But it sounds ok, it sounds a 15amp breaker for the equipment will do the job. with outlets with built in surge protectors....

#34271 - 11/27/04 11:55 AM Re: outlet's Doing a remodel
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There are actually a couple of electricians wandering through here from time to time, including HullGuy, who could give you specifics on what size wire to use. I could probably get some input on that at work on Monday, too (even if I can't find either of our EE's I could probably track the info down in some project specs).

#34272 - 11/27/04 12:29 PM Re: outlet's Doing a remodel
DNicely1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lincoln Park, Mi USA
Hey grizzly,
While I am not a certified electrician, I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.........I would run 12-2 romex for my circuits, that way you could even go with a 20 amp breaker, if you went with 14-2 you could only go up to 15 amps I believe, and since your starting from scratch you might as well set it up for any "future proofing".Btw, I have six components, two speakers w/powered subs and a 46" crt rptv all plugged into a 15 amp breaker and have had no problems with it tripping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 147 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts