Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34233 - 11/07/04 11:30 PM Speakers recommendation
paradigm777 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tustin, CA
Hi All,

I have not purchase the 7100/950 combo yet. But I want to know what are the common consensus amount the seasoned members for the 'top 5 speakers' that is $1200-$1400 or less. (for main L/R)

My room size is 12x12 and 80% classical music. Currently I have PSB 400i and will eventually upgrade them as well. I was thinking of Dynaudio 52 or 62.

Thank you all very much.

#34234 - 11/08/04 11:47 AM Re: Speakers recommendation
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i dont know that you will get a consensus here, because speaker likers are all different. what one likes to hear will be different than the other... i guess at least you will get some confirmation of some internet brands that you may have been scared to try. i wont cloud your decision with my input on speaker brand, but instead point out that you should take time to demo as many as you can in the stores and try internet brands that would allow returns...

#34235 - 11/08/04 01:14 PM Re: Speakers recommendation
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Curegeorg is right. You should listen to as many as you can. Personally, after listening to a bunch of speakers locally I decided to audition 3 online speakers and just pay return shipping if I didn't like them. I ended up keeping a pair of Reference 1's from Onix. They are sold through AV123.com for $1500 a pair and are often compared favorably to the dynaudio speakers. Right now they are running a Christmas special at an unbelievable price. If you want more info you can read their forums or you can just PM me if you like. Out of respect for Outlaw I don't feel comfortable talking specifics. Good luck and have fun with your speaker shopping.

#34236 - 11/08/04 02:56 PM Re: Speakers recommendation
paradigm777 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tustin, CA
thank you both. What I want to find out is what speakers do you just love with your 7100/950 set up. You know, it is so good that you will want to tell others to get the same thing.

I know it is all about preference, and there is no right or wrong here. Just preference. But one that you are proud and glad to share with others. No need to flame or put down others here, please smile

#34237 - 11/08/04 03:03 PM Re: Speakers recommendation
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
As curegeorg and Jed M have aptly noted, personal preference is key to finding the right speakers for you and demo-ing them with some music you are familiar with is important. Having said that, there are certainly different manufacturers and models that are often popular and might help give you some place to start. For your price range, several speakers commonly mentioned around here might include Paradigm Reference Studio/60 (I have the v2 models, and the current v3's are reportedly even better), Onix Rocket RS750, Onix Reference 1 (as suggested by Jed M), or Axiom M80ti (which might be a bit large for your room). For more ideas, you might check out this recent thread .

#34238 - 11/08/04 03:50 PM Re: Speakers recommendation
The Spatula Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Southern California
Speaker's are strictly a preference thing. It really is what kind of sound you personally are looking for and what you are willing to spend to attain as close to that sound as possible. If I were you I would check out the reviews for as many models in your price range as possible and audition as many of them as you can. For the internet models, Axiom and Onix in particular, I would try to find someone that has a pair or do the home audition.

I would then narrow it down to 3-5 models that really made an impression on me and then bring 3 music based discs and one DVD film.

The CD/SACD/DVD-A disc's would be 1 live music, 1 acoustic/Jazz and 1 piano based. The film should be an Action film with lots of effects, explosions and dialogue intermingled in between.

For live, my test disc has always been Xanadu by Rush (track 9 on exit stage left) this paricular track will really test a speakers transperency and its ability to throw a soundstage. It will also give you a good idea of how this speaker will do with voice reproduction, especially with a voice as unique as Geddy Lee's.

For acoustic/jazz I recommend Blue Notes "The Definitive John Coltrane." If you can hear Coltrane actually take a breath before his notes and work the reed on the sax, than your speakers are revealing and the system is clean.

A piano disc is another good way to test a speakers clarity, but more importantly its tonal balance. "For Elise" by Beethoven is a good one for this, also almost any Billy Joel and/or Elton John piano heavy tune will work pretty well.

For the DVD the more Dialogue during explosions the better. I recomend X2 (X Men United), Master and Commander, SW Episode II, Saving Private Ryan, you get the picture.

Have fun my friend and take your time!!! wink

#34239 - 11/09/04 01:55 PM Re: Speakers recommendation
JulioCat Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chilpancingo, Gro. Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by The Spatula:

For live, my test disc has always been Xanadu by Rush (track 9 on exit stage left) this paricular track will really test a speakers transperency and its ability to throw a soundstage. It will also give you a good idea of how this speaker will do with voice reproduction, especially with a voice as unique as Geddy Lee's.
!!!!!Spatula really know good music!!!!!!

Long Live Rush

#34240 - 11/09/04 03:39 PM Re: Speakers recommendation
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Rush Rules! I saw them three times in High School. Man, those were some fun days. Sadly, I rarely listen to them anymore. I guess I got burnt out by listening to them so much, but Spatula is right, Xanadu would be a great test song.

#34241 - 11/14/04 09:56 PM Re: Speakers recommendation
cycole1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa florida
I have rockets and love them laugh

see ya cycole1

#34242 - 11/15/04 01:45 PM Re: Speakers recommendation
Jed M Offline
Desperado

You are one lucky dog cycole! Congratulations again. I was for sure I was going to win... laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 153 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts