Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#33981 - 09/08/03 11:03 PM New power circuit for 7100?
ozymandias Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

This might be a really dumb question, but I've never had seperates before and really want to pick up the 7100/950 combo. Except someone told me to use a seperate amp like the 7100 I'd have to have an electrician put in a new electrical circuit because the amp will draw more than the 13amps in my home circuit breakers. Is this true? Can i get away with just putting the 7100 on it's own circuit if I make sure I don't have anything else on it?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I rather find out now than ship everything to hawaii and find out I'd have to ship it back.

Thanks

#33982 - 09/09/03 10:03 AM Re: New power circuit for 7100?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Not a dumb question at all. You do not have to install a separate circuit. The 7100's maximum power requirements are listed as 1200W, which on a 120V system would equate to somewhere around 10 amps -- leaving 5 amps of the typical residential 15 amp circuit free for other equipment (the 950 would need less than 0.5 amps, as would a DVD player, but the TV may need several amps). But that is the maximum output -- that's all seven channels being driven to near maximum output, which would be a very difficult thing to actually do in real life. The real world consumption is very difficult to figure (I've tried to determine a realistic diversity several times, in order to figure out median heat gain from equipment like amps -- you'll never see the same estimate twice), but it is definitely less than the maximum.

It would be preferable to put any multi-channel amp (and home theater in general, even if you are not using separates) on a lightly-loaded circuit to provide some "elbow room" for the equipment and to reduce noise added to the circuit from other electrical equipment. I used to run my Outlaw 750, TV, and other home theater components on a circuit that was shared with the refrigerator and microwave without harming anything, although I did have some noise, presumably donated by the fridge's compressor. I now have it all on a dedicated circuit -- done both to isolate the equipment and more importantly to provide a grounded circuit for it all, since the existing circuits in the house are ungrounded.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#33983 - 09/11/03 05:19 PM Re: New power circuit for 7100?
ozymandias Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks, that whole amps/watts thing was just too confusing.

Anyway I just ordered my combo; shipping was steep but in the mean time until it arrives. I'll move my TV off to a different circuit.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts