Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4858 - 10/16/06 11:33 AM My 1050 is cutting out and then back in
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I've had my 1050 for a number of years now, and recently started experiencing a problem where the sound cuts out. I can usually hear the click of a relay or something when it does it, and it then goes back on with another click about 10 seconds later. It usually only does this when its been on for a short time, once its been on for a while I don't have a problem.

I should say that I only have the center channel hooked up through the amp section, the fronts go through my tube amp, and I took down my rear speakers when I painted the room earlier this year and just haven't put the wiring back up. This has only happened when I've used the Outlaw without turning on the tubes, although I may not notice it with the tubes on. I would think then that this is an amp stage problem, but wouldn't rule anything out.

I suppose I should check cabling in the back to see if anything is amiss. I haven't been behind it in a while.

I can see from the dates that this board isn't very active anymore, but maybe somebody will read this and reply.

#4859 - 10/16/06 01:46 PM Re: My 1050 is cutting out and then back in
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I would definitely start by checking your speaker wire connections on the back of the 1050. Did you disconnect the wires for your surround speakers from the back when you took down the speakers?

Also, make sure the connection for your center channel speaker wire isn't brushing against the terminals for the main speaker outputs. It's possible something is shorting in the back which is causing the 1050 to "click" into protection.

#4860 - 10/16/06 02:13 PM Re: My 1050 is cutting out and then back in
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
My surround wiring is completely disconnected. I don't even remember where I put the cable.

I'll check in the back tonight for any wires touching. I'm always amazed by the tangle of cable back there, even after I neatly lay it all out. I move the tube amp connections around fairly frequently as I'm always tweaking the circuit, a Dynaco ST-70 converted to 6B4G DHT in class A push-pull, so maybe I made something touch when I pulled a cable.

I can understand tubes, but modern transistor amps baffle me.

#4861 - 10/16/06 02:15 PM Re: My 1050 is cutting out and then back in
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There's not much traffic in the 1050 forum these days, but there are still a number of 1050's in people's systems. You might want to give Outlaw a call (or drop them a line through their support page ) and see if they can offer any insight.

#4862 - 12/02/06 12:23 AM Re: My 1050 is cutting out and then back in
wheaton Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: California
I'am having similar symptoms. Relay clicking and loss of right front and right surround channels. Problem occurs when amp heats up. With cover removed problem occurs but only after an hour or so of use thus pointing to a thermal problem. When I press firmly on the left most (large black vertical capacitor)on the mother-board the channels return .. let go and the problem returns. It's obviously an area of the amp that delivers DC power to the final amps using what appears to be a buss-like rails.

Anybody know how to get a peek at the bottom of the main pc board. I'am looking for a cold solder joint or hairline crack in a land in the area of the capacitor.

Any body have a funcional schematic the documents functions of the offending area of the main circuit board?

#4863 - 03/04/07 10:17 PM Re: My 1050 is cutting out and then back in
IanS Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Pasadena, CA
I have been having the same problem as well for a while. I was considering sending the unit back to Outlaw, since it is supposedly a $80 repair, but if I can solve the problem myself, I'd rather go that route and not have to send back my Outlaw.

It hadn't occurred to me that it could be heat related, but that seems to coincide with my problems as well.

My other thought was some contact cleaner, but I don't even know where the relays are located.

#4864 - 04/15/07 07:41 PM Re: My 1050 is cutting out and then back in
Toff Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Anyone find a way to fix this themselves?

Mine has been doing the same thing and I really don't want to purchase another receiver if I don't have to.

#4865 - 04/16/07 01:39 AM Re: My 1050 is cutting out and then back in
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you haven't done so yet, I'd suggest giving Outlaw a call - they may be able to lend a hand.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts