Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#3529 - 01/29/03 12:29 PM I'm Finally an OUTLAW!
apxmtb Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: CANBY, OR
Yup!

Received my 1050 earlier this week, hooked it up in a few hours (setup was a breeze) and I am now basking in the glow of superior sound.

My old YAMAHA RX-V390 Pro-Logic was gettin' long in the tooth and so after a few months of research I settled on the Outlaw. What really swayed me towards the 1050 were the 100 or so "positive" reviews from end users on http://www.audioreview.com/A-V+Receivers/Outlaw+Audio+1050/PRD_124358_2718crx.aspx

Except for a few "MORONS" who bashed the unit for it's low wattage output and quirky looks, most reviewers gave the 1050 FIVE (*****) Stars!

My INFINITY RS-5's never sounded better, it's like listening to a brand new set of speakers! The bass is so good, I'm not sure I want to add a sub to the system!

I do have a few minor gripes though:

1) I had to shim (1/8") one of the legs under the unit because it was teethering on one side. (Please let me know if anyone has experienced this problem out of the box)

2) VOLUME knob is not properly centered in the enclosure and leans towards the left.(minor)

3) The remote's ergonomics leave much to be desired! (I admit I was aware of this from reading previous discussion threads)

I guess my biggest "issue" at this point is having to switch the remote to "TNR" whenever I want to adjust the volume. Is there anything that can be done to allow the volume to work from other sources such as:
"TV" , "VCR" or "AUX" ???

I am thinking of using my trusty Sony remote to control the 1050 but I can't find the code for it!

As I mentioned earlier, these are all minor irritations, what matters most in the end "IS THE SOUND" and it this regard the 1050 definitely does not disappoint!

------------------

#3530 - 01/29/03 12:58 PM Re: I'm Finally an OUTLAW!
Scott Offline
Desperado

You can follow the "changing volume lock" procedure outlined on page 33 of the 1050 Owner's Manual. This will enable the 1050 remote to control the volume on the 1050 regardless of which source it is presently operating.

Scott

#3531 - 01/29/03 01:06 PM Re: I'm Finally an OUTLAW!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You won't be able to find a code for the 1050 -- the only ways to control the 1050 from a remote other than its own are a learning remote or a JP1 remote (people have created source files that will allow you to set up a JP1 type remote to control the 1050). I have used a Sony RM-AV2100 to control a Model 1050, and it took fairly little time to teach all the important commands to the 2100. As Scott points out, you can set volume (along with mute) punch-through and I think channel punch-through as well. Very handy. For some more info on the 1050's remote, you might be interested in this old thread if you haven't discovered it already. (Oh, and do not use the 981 code -- it's basically a "lobotomy" code for the remote.)

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited January 29, 2003).]

#3532 - 01/29/03 06:36 PM Re: I'm Finally an OUTLAW!
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
Welcome aboard, yes we are proud of the OUTLAW here, I just think about the people that pay $1500 to $2000 on a plastic receiver, oh well. I love mine, I would rate it very close to Carver equipment. I have the Infinity IL 50's and yes they do sound great..the best deal for the money! And I agree, the remote could be better..

#3533 - 01/30/03 08:47 AM Re: I'm Finally an OUTLAW!
TheDeep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by apxmtb:
Yup!

I do have a few minor gripes though:

1) I had to shim (1/8") one of the legs under the unit because it was teethering on one side. (Please let me know if anyone has experienced this problem out of the box)

Hmmm my 1050 is sitting on a leather stool for now so I can't tell you about that. I did experience problems with the speaker posts in the rear (3 of them broke quickly)

Quote:
2) VOLUME knob is not properly centered in the enclosure and leans towards the left.(minor)

Seems to be just fine on my unit.

Quote:
3) The remote's ergonomics leave much to be desired! (I admit I was aware of this from reading previous discussion threads)

The remote does appear to be a 'functional' remote but you're right about the shoddy ergonomics! I bought an MX-500 Learning remote and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, these are all minor irritations, what matters most in the end "IS THE SOUND" and it this regard the 1050 definitely does not disappoint!

Yes, I'm loving the sound too! You may still wish to add a subwoofer though, for enthralling movie effects!

#3534 - 01/30/03 11:44 AM Re: I'm Finally an OUTLAW!
apxmtb Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: CANBY, OR
Thanks for all of your replies and especially Scott's!

Yes, after "READING" page 33 of the manual I was able to unlock the volume control on the remote for my other devices.

------------------

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts