Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#1052 - 01/30/02 09:42 AM Now mine shut off...
mltexas Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: League City, Texas
Last night while watching Atlantis with the kids (no drop outs...) At one point I looked at my wife and said it sure got quiet, and when I looked at the receiver it had decreased the volume by 30. It did it on its own. Strange... Never seen that befor.

Now 8 min. later it just shut off on its own accord. The remote was on the table pointed away from the receiver so it was not that. Speaker wires are not shorted and it did work fine the rest of the night. Oh, it did make a small screech sound from the speakers when it shut down.

Hmmmmm.... I guess I will let C/S know and just watch it for a bit. I just called them and we will watch it. They said if it does it again we will swap. As always good customer service.

Matt Leatherman

[This message has been edited by mltexas (edited January 30, 2002).]

#1053 - 01/30/02 02:26 PM Re: Now mine shut off...
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
So yours just shut off the one time? I guess you didn't notice if it displayed anything across the screen when that happened, and if it's not repeatable, you can't check. I hope your problem doesn't turn into mine.

Has anyone else out there had a 1050 go south the way mine did?

#1054 - 01/30/02 02:56 PM Re: Now mine shut off...
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
mltexas, I know you stated that the remote was not the culprit, but it reminded me of a funny story that happened to me a while back, so I thought I'd post it.

Myself and a few buddies were sitting around having a few drinks watching TV about a month after I got my Pronto (2 months after the 1050). One of my friends got a bit ticked off that I wouldn't even relinquish control of the Pronto for a minute. I'd let them look at it, but that was it.

Well, at some point, he discovered my 'old remotes' drawer in my coffee table and proceeded to sneak them out and under a pillow on the couch, conveniently pointed at the system. By this point, we aren't really paying that much attention to the TV, but mostly just BS'ing about this or that, with it as background. Until it muted.

Like a dog in hot pursuit, my attention goes to the now silent 1050. I look at my Pronto, making sure a cat didn't hit mute. There is no cat to be seen. I saw the blinking light on the 1050 and realized that it was muted, so I un-muted it with the Pronto. All is well for a little while, until the volume goes up 'all by itself.' Again, I am befuddled, but correct the problem. I am beginning to be concerned that the 1050 is malfunctioning, even though I have never heard of that kind of problem before. It kicked on its test tones, went from stereo to prologic to jazz club and all kinds of other 'random' events over the next half hour, much to my dismay. Only the guy with the old remotes knew what was going on and he has a poker face if there ever was a man with a poker face. Needless to say, I was becoming quite agitated.

I checked the temperature of the 1050. Cool to the touch. Looked over the wiring. I 'rebooted.' Anything that I could think of in my somewhat inebriated state. Nothing helped. I didn't know what to do, then the VCR turned on. I then knew it must be the Pronto malfunctioning, sending out random signals every now and then. To test that theory, I put it under a pillow. All is well. For about 10 minutes. The TV turned channels and the CD player ejected. I was livid. I took the Pronto into the bedroom and shut the door. Again, all is well. Then the TV shut off. Not believing an IR device would penetrate a closed door, I go back into the bedroom, shut the door and start yelling out to the living room 'did it do anything?' as I punch buttons. I hear stifled laughter and a muffled 'No.' come back. I grab the remote, ready to put it back in its box and take it back, when I walk back into the living room and everybody is laughing their proverbial $$$'s off. I can't believe that my friends would be so insensitive in my time of need. Then remote boy tosses me the 1050 remote from under the pillow and said 'Maybe you should put this one in the bedroom.' I look at him for a second, not quite understanding what he meant, when he grabbed the other three remotes from under the pillow and said 'These too.' By that point I figured out what had happened and how he had made me look like a total fool for the past hour and a half.

I know it doesn't help with your problem, but I remember how much I laughed after the fact and thought some of you might too.

S.

#1055 - 01/30/02 03:20 PM Re: Now mine shut off...
mltexas Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: League City, Texas
S.

What a great story! :-) Gave me a great chuckle as I now remember the time I was sitting on my RF Sony remote for my Sat. - it had fell down into the recliner and every time I moved channels would change, or guide would come up - I didn't have a clue what was going on.

Only after I found the remote in the chair did I know what was going on and that I was doing it! In the middle of a good show to I believe.

Have a good one.

Matt Leatherman

#1056 - 01/30/02 03:37 PM Re: Now mine shut off...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
MrSandman -- That's a great story, reminded me of my college days and the "dueling remotes." My roommate had his home theater set up in the living room. His Yamaha receiver remote was programmed to control everything, but he still had the TV remote, CD player remote, and VCR remote lying out. It was not unheard of for us to have some fun with that...

------------------
Gonk

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts