Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#386 - 12/05/01 12:56 AM S-Video vs. Component cable
dbissett Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston TX
I received my 1050 today and am anxious to hook it up tomorrow but would like some input on whether to use the S-video connections from my DVD to the 1050, or run component cable direct from DVD to monitor. I understand the quality vs. convenience trade-off, but what I'm mainly interested in is the cost-benefit of S-video vs. component cable since I have to run a little over 10 feet and there's a considerable diff in cost involved. I've always used component cable and am not familiar with how an S-video picture compares. If I run S-video to save some bucks and enable recording a lot easier would I be sacrificing a lot in terms of picture quality? Experienced user opinions appreciated.

dave

#387 - 12/05/01 02:06 AM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
For reference, my equipment does not have component inputs, but a few of my friends systems do. My thoughts:

If cable runs are long, interference and cross talk can be an issue to the perfectionist. Is that you, I do not know. In the ideal world, component is the best call.

But, if you are saddled with the reality of cost vs. performance, it is a different game. From my experience with my friends' systems, component reduced 'jaggies' and improved color separation on the Avia test disc, when compared to S-Video, but not to a huge degree. On the test screens, it was a noticeable difference, but while watching a movie, the difference was way beyond my comprehension.

To my friend who had the DVD close to his TV, I recommended to use the component outs. To my other friend, I recommended to use S-Video. Due to my monitor, I use composite, which is a definite compromise I know.

I personally, with my friends systems did not find a night and day difference between S-Video and component. It was there, but not a huge difference. My thought is to use S-Video as it is cheaper. If your system was truly calibrated to ISF standards, you might notice a difference, but I do not have the luxury of having components which would reveal such small differences.

Technically, component is the 'only way to go' but S-Video is a decent interface, without question. If it were me, I would likely run a good quality S-Video cable if budget were a consideration, but if I had an open budget, I would use component.My eyes do not see a noticeable difference on similar systems, but nuances may escape me.

My thoughts, that's all. . .

S.

I just read flyntm's response and what he said about a progressive scan player makes total sense. It appears (but may not be the case on all player/TV combinations, just ones I have researched) that a progressive image (480p) is only output from the component outputs. The S-Video, even on a progressive player, is only going to be 480i. But all of that only matters if the monitor can accept progressive images. A good reality check from flyntm!

[This message has been edited by MrSandman (edited December 05, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by MrSandman (edited December 05, 2001).]

#388 - 12/05/01 08:23 AM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My experience is similar to MrSandman's -- I've compared S-video and component video on a pretty nice 20" Toshiba and saw little benefit. If it's reasonable to do, go with component. If it'll cost a fortune to do component, S-video should be an acceptable alternative.

#389 - 12/05/01 11:44 AM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
synthfreek Offline
Gunslinger

I have tried both S-Video and component cables with my Outlaw 1050, Toshiba 3108 & 36" Cinema Select Sharp TV. Although they're only separated by a few feet I notice a difference(even with movies) when using the superior component connections. On a side note the DVDs that I've tried to make copies of were all scrambled. So if you were planning on doing a good bit of that you might be out of luck. Any of the decent component interconnects should have sufficient shielding so I doubt you should get interference. You can always return stuff :-)

#390 - 12/05/01 01:17 PM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
flyntm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Plano, TX
It probably depends on your TV and DVD player. If your DVD is a progressive scan then you will see a greater benefit from component video. Or if you have a big screen TV you will probably see a bigger difference with component.

If you choose to go with S-video, you may want to consider going direct from the DVD to the TV. Each connection is a degradation in quality, but you do sacrifice a little in convenience.

From here we could get into a discussion about cable quality, but that's an entirely different topic!

#391 - 12/05/01 09:30 PM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
libirm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Westhampton, NY USA
After reading the above I am curios about something, are component connections the three labeled r-y-b or something like that?
And if so you would use one or the other?

#392 - 12/05/01 11:50 PM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
gonk Offline
Desperado

That's component, alright. Three separate cables to complete the video connection. It is generally considered the "best" video connection, superior to S-Video which is in turn superior to composite.

For progressive scan DVD and for HD signals, you need component (or something more exotic -- VGA or a digital connection like DVI). Actually, I should clarify that for those two you need a "special" component input that supports it, slightly different to the typical component video.

#393 - 12/06/01 02:14 AM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
If you use the S-video connection, I would encourage you to go direct to the set and bypass the 1050. Some of us have experienced picture problems with the 1050 switching S-video. See this thread for the whole discussion and solutions.

One of these days, I'll have to get gonk to tell me how he makes those nice clean little links...

Also, I seem to recall the 1050 doesn't switch video modes b/n inputs and outputs. For example, an S-video in cannot become a composite out. Not being familiar with your setup, I just wanted to mention this as I noticed you mentioned something about recording in your original post.

Edits: Fixing the link for the new server change.

[This message has been edited by Owl's_Warder (edited March 10, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Owl's_Warder (edited March 10, 2002).]

#394 - 12/06/01 07:57 AM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Owl's_Warder:
One of these days, I'll have to get gonk to tell me how he makes those nice clean little links...

pssst.... take the spaces out from inside the brackets and use whatever URL you want:

[ url = http:// www. yahoo .com/]Yahoo![ /url ]

Hopefully that'll work and not turn itself into a link...

#395 - 12/07/01 12:21 AM Re: S-Video vs. Component cable
hydro Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Post Falls, ID USA
Here's my two cents, for what it's worth. I have tried both with my set-up and after calibration the component was much better than s-video. My TV is about 20 feet from the rest of the equipment and I have had no problems with any kind of interference. Whatever you do get a set-up disc of some sort, it helps a lot.

Forgot to mention that this is a progressive scan set as well as DVD player I'm not sure how much difference it makes without that.

[This message has been edited by hydro (edited December 07, 2001).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts