Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#297 - 10/29/01 09:43 PM Please, please help me decide
danbry39 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am a long time Onkyo user and, as it is time for a new receiver, was thinking about getting the new Onkyo 797. However, in doing my internet research, Outlaw has become somewhat of an obsessive thing with me. My major concern is with the power output. The Onkyo has 100-110 watts/channel and is always powerful and authoritative sounding, unlike other lightweights I've heard. I like to listen to all kinds of music, but, when I'm stressed out, I listen to rock, blues, etc. really, really loud. My center channel speaker is rated at 96 db, my fronts at 90db, and my rears at 89db. This is going into my 17 by 20 bedroom. I read on the FAQ's that the power rating for Outlaw is very conservative. Can anyone tell me if the volume I can achieve with the Outlaw will be equivalent to let's say an Onkyo or Denon receiver? Help me decide if I should enter into an outlaw's life. Thanks in advance.

#298 - 10/29/01 09:51 PM Re: Please, please help me decide
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Well, I can't compare it to the other receivers, but I can tell you that with my Boston Acoustics System 9000, my 1050 puts out more power than I can use. Love the sound and it gets loud enough to rattle the house. Of course, those listening levels are only attainable when my wife is out...

But look around at the posts here. I think you'll find most people very happy with the 1050 and feel it compares quite well with other brands, definitely exceeding performance in the price range.

Good luck!

#299 - 10/29/01 10:10 PM Re: Please, please help me decide
danbry39 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Owl's Warder. I just told my wife that I have to have this receiver and that it costs less than half the Onkyo. I just have to plan this out right. I want a new HDTV, a good DVD, a new pair of front end speakers, and a new Pentium 4 computer with 512MB's RDRAM for the bedroom. When I get it all, I won't leave for work or anything anymore. It'll be just me in my little Shangri-la. Come to think of it, I'll probably have to turn to a life of crime to pay for it all. My tech stocks haven't done all that well of late.

#300 - 10/30/01 12:02 AM Re: Please, please help me decide
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Got to agree with Owl's_Warder here -- that 65W is a very conservative number. There is a lot of power tucked into the 1050. I would not worry about it being able to play loud (it has driven my Paradigm Studio 60's as loud as I could stand before without breaking a sweat).

#301 - 11/05/01 07:29 PM Re: Please, please help me decide
freyder Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Pentium 4?? Nah... Don't do it.

Go for an Athlon Thunderbird on a ABIT KG7 Motherboard.
While you're at it spring for some High Performance Mushkin RAM. You won't regret it and you'll have a system that will be much cheaper and perform better than the P4.

#302 - 12/02/01 02:28 PM Re: Please, please help me decide
allan michael Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NYC
I too want to go Outlaw ........if .......it can match the 100wt. of others such as Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Sony,etc.

I am gettin rid of my $250 Sony........i have to turn it up so loud to get good sound but then =neighbors!..My interest is in DTSand DD movies(99% of the time).

I got to this site and fell in love with the concept -- I know 100 wt. is not always 100wt.,ie., my Sony STRDE545 is rated at 110wt.= JOKE!!

Guys/ girls.....convince me.......please

------------------
32" Wega
KEF Q-Series-fr.
Paradigm- CC
Mission- RR
Polk 10" Sub
Sony DVP 330
Mission- RR
Polk 10" Sub
Sony DVP 330
O 1050- rec

#303 - 12/03/01 06:28 PM Re: Please, please help me decide
Soundog Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Delmar, NY, USA
Forget about wattage. The difference between 65 watts and 100 watts is just a few decibels. Besides what's really important is the quality of the sound. My two Outlaw 1050s outperformed the two 100 watt Sony Receivers (one ES) they replaced by a long shot. The 1050 was chosen as Editor's Choice for 2002 by Stereophile Guide to Home Theater. They characterized it as a "HIGH END" component, which it is. It has very very high quality "guts". Buy it, if you have good speakers you will really appreciate its quality and be very glad you did.

#304 - 12/03/01 09:49 PM Re: Please, please help me decide
BobPeck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, OH, USA
Just a vote of confidence here for the 1050. I have relatively large speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio 80's, 20's and CC) and 65 is more than enough.

I lsiten to 80% music and some nice loud HT (without a sub).

Totally happy with the Outlaw 1050 and it's small seeming 65wpc.

#305 - 12/11/01 10:16 AM Re: Please, please help me decide
abmcnair Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Springfield, VA USA
Loud sound and rich, quality sound are different. The Outlaw provides room filling sound without making the music sound like noise.

I've had kenwood, sony, etc... the Outlaw is a great product. It is one of those purchases that I'm really fully happy with.

Aside from the fact that they lowered the price one I got one.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts