Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4838 - 04/05/06 11:54 AM DVD-Audio output/setup
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I apologize as I've seen similar topics over time, but this time it's my turn to be an idiot. I recently purchased a Denon DVD-1920 which has DVD-Audio and SACD capability so I finally put my Outlaw cables to use.

So I was attempting to listen to a couple of DVD-Audio discs that I've got, and I have two issues.

One, I'm not sure that I'm actually hearing the DVD-Audio format. For instance, when I put in Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" and go to the audio setup portion of the disc I see two options: Stereo 24/96 (I think) and Dolby Digital 5.1.

So, do I have my 1050 and the 1920 setup correctly? I have the 1050 in 5.1 Direct mode, the front speakers are set to small.

My second issue is that I am not getting output from my subwoofer. The front speakers are set to small on both the Denon and the 1050. Subwoofer is set to "on" for the Denon as well as the 1050. The subwoofer is active if I listen to CD audio or something in DD.

Thanks for your help in advance, and I'll be glad to fill in any blanks in info as I'm sure that I've left out something.

#4839 - 04/05/06 12:19 PM Re: DVD-Audio output/setup
wolverine Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor
With the two DVD-A/universal players I have had (neither was a Denon), there was something like a default audio mode that had to be set in the player's set-up. If it is set to DVD-A and you load a DVD-A disk it will show the DVD-A multichannel in the main menu. If it set otherwise, it will behave like a regular DVD player and default to Dolby Digital track. So my guess is it is the 1920's set-up that needs to be changed. You will also have to set the DVD-A and SACD output to go to the 6-channel analog outputs for use with any Outlaw processor.

#4840 - 04/05/06 12:37 PM Re: DVD-Audio output/setup
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
One potential problem problem is the whole DualDisc concept - new DVD-Audio releases have largely been replaced by the DualDisc "format." DualDisc is a regular DVD that can offer DVD-Audio's MLP lossless audio in addition to a normal Dolby Digital 5.1 track, but in some cases there's no MLP included. In the case of your disc, I'm not sure if the disc offers a 5.1 MLP track (I've found contradictory information online). As wolverine points out, you may need to set the player to use the DVD-Audio audio option when it is available. You'll definitely need to change the "ANALOG AUDIO" setting from the default of "2-channel" to "multichannel" (if that is still on the default, it would explain the lack of subwoofer activity). Also make sure the "AUDIO MODE" is set to "ANALOG" and not "HDMI".

#4841 - 04/05/06 01:29 PM Re: DVD-Audio output/setup
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
OK, thanks to Gonk and Wolverine I'm halfway home. Despite thinking that I had the setup correctly done, I had not. The lack of DVD-A could be traced to a setting that defaulted to either video or audio, and of course the wrong one was chose.

The lack of subwoofer output is still an issue. I felt the subwoofer and thought I could feel a slight vibration in the speaker, but nothing that would create much of an impact.

So, ideas?

Thx,

Ashford

#4842 - 04/05/06 01:35 PM Re: DVD-Audio output/setup
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
First, you might want to make sure you're feeding it a signal that is going to produce output from the subwoofer - depending on the music being played, you may not have anything there to begin with. Here\'s something I've been tinkering with lately that might serve you well in that regard (hadn't planned to toss out a link to it just yet, but what the hell) - I don't know if the Denon will play DVD data burned to a CD or not (my OPPO is the only player I've used that does), but the audio CD will work for sure. If there's bass management working at the Denon, then the low frequency data in the left or right channel will steer to the sub.

#4843 - 04/05/06 03:48 PM Re: DVD-Audio output/setup
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
That's cool, gonk. Nice that you provided the table for interpretation as well. Sounds like you put a lot of effort into it. I'm sure there's at least a couple people 'round these parts will find it handy. wink

BTW, I enjoyed the disclaimer.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 129 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM