Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#3600 - 02/06/03 09:34 PM Yet another remote question from a newbie!
mgb123 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Warwick, RI 02886
I've got a 1050 with a Sony DVD hooked up to it, along with a Proscan VCR, and an older-than-time-itself Toshiba TV.

The monitor out is passing thru a Radio Shack DVD converter box, so that I can plug into the TV-which only has co-ax as an input. This Radio Shack box has inputs from RCA, as well as co-ax and then has output to the TV thru co-ax. The device is a self sensing switch, basically. If it gets signal from the Outlaw, it will automatically turn on and send signal to the TV, which is then displayed on channel 3

So my question is this. If I want to have the remote control the TV volume, when not using the outlaw, but then the Stereo volume when playing DVD/VCR thru the Outlaw, how can I tell the remote that?

To put it another way, I only want the sound to go thru the outlaw when playing movies. Then when just watching cable I want it to come out of the TV. I have it setup this way now?it works just as I'd like...but I want to remote to work accordingly. So that when watching a DVD the remote will control the 1050 volume, and then when watching cable TV I just want it to control the TV volume.

Thanks guys, and I'm sure that this as been discussed ad-infintum...but I wanted to post it non the less, cause I couldn't find it using the search...

Matt

P.s.
Why is there not a DVD button on the remote and how should I work around that?

#3601 - 02/06/03 10:03 PM Re: Yet another remote question from a newbie!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think that I used the AUX button for the DVD player...

As for the main question, it sounds like you want to have the volume punch-through work on the DVD and VCR modes, but not the TV mode. The 950's remote does this (as I learned when I misunderstood it), but the 1050's remote is different. If you look at channel 33 of the manual, it talks some about the volume punch-through feature. You can set the remote to control the 1050's volume from any mode, but I think (haven't had a chance to really dissect it) you may be able to set it up so that one or two devices still operate their own volume (like the TV operating it own volume) while the other devices control the 1050's remote. You may need to use the "reasigning function keys" feature also described on page 33 to move the TV to some other button...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#3602 - 02/07/03 10:11 AM Re: Yet another remote question from a newbie!
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
I use the AUX button for my DVD. I too thought it was strange that a surround receiver remote did not have a dedicated DVD button especially since the source buttons at the bottom do have DVD.

I have the exact setup as you. I listen to Cable using the TV volumn and DVD's with the outlaw. It can be done but not perfectly. The only way I have found to modify the volumn lock is to use advanced codes to re-assign the volumn up/volumn down buttons to the advanced codes for the TV. However this means that this can only be done when the remote is in TV mode not when it is in CBL mode. This bugs me a little since I use the remote to control the TV though a cable box so I have the remote in CBL mode all the time for channel surfing and then I hit the volumn and it does nothing. I have to remember to switch to TV first. So again it's not perfect but at least I don't need two remotes.

Here is how I set mine up.
-------------------------------
1) Use the volumn lock to assign the volumn to the receiver (I think you did this already)
2) Assign the DVD player to the AUX button. Instructions on Page 33 as Gonk pointed out.
3) Assign advanced codes for volumn up and volumn down for TV mode.
To program an advanced code you can follow these instructions taken from this manual .
a) PRESS the device, (TV), button - RELEASE
b) PRESS and HOLD the SETUP button until the red LED flashes twice, then RELEASE.
c) PRESS 9 - 9 - 4.
d) PRESS the SETUP button and then the three digit advanced code. (Here you need to find your TV's advanced codes for Volumn-UP and Volumn Down, for example my Sony's codes are 076 and 080 use this page to find yours. Find the CODE you used to control the TV on the page and then click the code to see a list of advanced codes.)
e) PRESS the button you wish to use for that function - Two Blinks. (In your case the Volumn Up or the Volumn Down)

If you mess things up don't worry you can return the button to it's original setting by doing the following to clear out your override (also from the manual above).
a) PRESS the device, (TV, VCR, CABLE, etc.), button - RELEASE
b) PRESS and HOLD the SETUP button until the red LED flashes twice, then RELEASE.
c) PRESS 9 - 9 - 4
d) PRESS the button you want to clear twice. - Two blinks.

WARNING DON'T USE CODE 981 to return to factor defaults as this erases the outlaw receiver codes put in by outlaw.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts