Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#3333 - 12/31/02 09:02 AM Searching for New DVD Player
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
Ok I have ordered the New 1050, it is also time to upgrade to a new DVD player, what model to buy ? I see some that have the Dolby Digital built in, I would like to get the optical connections also, maybe Sony ??

#3334 - 12/31/02 09:12 AM Re: Searching for New DVD Player
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You don't need a built-in Dolby Digital decoder; any unit you get should have either optical digital audio, coaxial digital audio, or both -- the entry level Toshibas use coax digital audio, while the entry level Panasonics use optical. Higher end models will often have both coax and optical. Any player made today will pass both Dolby Digital and DTS digital audio to the 1050, which will take care of the decoding for you.

Sony makes some good players, especially if you want to also try SACD. I have had good luck with Panasonic (a friend got a CP72 changer for Christmas, but I haven't heard how he likes it yet). Toshiba has a good reputation, although I am not as fond of their entry-level players as I am Panasonics (personal preference, YMMV). A few questions:

1) Do you need progressive scan? If you have an HDTV, you may want a progressive scan player.
2) Do you want to get into SACD or DVD-Audio? If so, do you want a player that will handle both? The Pioneer Elite DV-45A or DV-47Ai might be good choices if you want both, but I haven't used them to know how they perform.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#3335 - 12/31/02 09:46 AM Re: Searching for New DVD Player
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
I use a Sony NVP-NS715P progessive scan. I think the unit works great. Under $200 anywhere.

#3336 - 12/31/02 11:40 AM Re: Searching for New DVD Player
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Keep in mind if you have a HDTV many of the better brands of sets have very good line doublers and many people have stated that they didn't need a progressive scan model because the TV is doing such a good job with the 480i signal. I have the Toshiba 4700 It has been great for me! If I was in the market I would would look closely at the Panasonic models (rp62,rp82) they have gotten great reviews, the are pretty cheap and they don't have the chroma bug (which all but a few players have).

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#3337 - 12/31/02 04:07 PM Re: Searching for New DVD Player
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I Believe the Sony NS715P with 12-bit 108 MHz DAC’s was what I gave a test run to. I can attest to the gorgeous picture it produced. Unfortunately I purchased the first week it hit shelves and got a defective individual box home. It was skipping, freezing etc. When I returned it a replacement unit was not currently available. In the meantime I had researched a little and gave the Panny RP-91 a demo as I was attracted to its Scale/Zoom capabilities for my 16.9 display and its DVD-A capability. I ended by keeping the Panny, but it was in a diffrent price bracket at the time.

On the pic alone I thought the 715 was excellent buy for the PQ (sans lemonade coating) and can be found for under 2. If they have been in homes with little QC issues currently I would recommend the 715 for a demo, - those 12-bits are nice.

#3338 - 12/31/02 04:25 PM Re: Searching for New DVD Player
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I have the Panasonic CP72, a 5 disk changer with progressive scan and DVD-audio and optical out.

The picture is superb from this player, the audio so-so (which doesn't matter since the digital out goes to the 1050), but my main complaint is the speed. It is very slow to start or change disks. I wanted it for random play of CDs, a feature which I never had before, but I can't use it for that. It is just plain too slow. It painstakingly reads each disk to decode the format, then reads the menu tracks before it will start playing. It doesn't seem to remember what disks are in it either. If you power off it won't show what type of disk is in the drawer. The Panny RP-82 is a better buy as a single disk player.

I guess my point is to check how useful features are going to be before you buy. (I find the 1050's dsp modes to be pretty useless too, but it is still a great receiver.)

#3339 - 12/31/02 08:44 PM Re: Searching for New DVD Player
HI-FI Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: augusta, GA
I am looking hard at the Sony DVP-NC655P DVD Player, yes I want 5 disc changer, Im lazy. It has with optical out, could I go wrong on this one?

#3340 - 01/02/03 09:28 AM Re: Searching for New DVD Player
pegasus Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ky
I had a Sony,the picture was great however CDs sounded terrible, so I switched to a Pioneer Elite 47ai.The pioneer sound is far superior to the Sony and the picture quality is very good but not quite as good as the Sony.I really would like a player with better sound and better picture,however I just don't think one exists for under $2000.00.If any of you know of one let me know.

#3341 - 01/03/03 11:49 PM Re: Searching for New DVD Player
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
For $2000 you can get separate DVD and CD players and still have a grand left for a 950 without sacrificing quality. As a 1050 owner, I can't see spending the money. I'd go high-end on something else first, like speakers.

#3342 - 01/04/03 11:53 AM Re: Searching for New DVD Player
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
I just got a Sony ns755v. It includes SACD and progressive scan. So far I have no complaints. Picture is great and so is the sound. I think the 655 is the same unit with multi-disc capabilities.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts