Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#2091 - 05/10/02 12:14 PM Rear Channel Distortion in Natural Mode
Lardoggy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tustin, CA
My 30 day test drive is up next Friday. I'm generally very happy with my 1050 with one exception: I watch TV using the Natural mode so that I can get some rear channel effects when watching a Pro Logic program (source is a Hughes DirecTivo box connected via optical cable). Quite often, however, I'll get an odd distortion sound coming from the rear channels (L/R only - don't have a rear center). It is quite annoying especially when there is a strong rear channel signal (X files, for example). If I cycle through the DSP's and return to the Natural mode, it will work fine for a while but will eventually return to the same distortion.

I realize that I could just use a different DSP mode but I really like the sound of the Natural mode most (when it works properly). I spoke with customer support (Scott, I think) and was told that I was the fourth person to have called with this problem (over some long period of time). They were never able to determine the problem with the other three but it had apparently been some time since anyone has had this problem. No problems at all when listening to CD's or DVD's.

It sounds to me like the problem cannot be fixed since they were never able to replicate it. So, my question is this: Has anyone else experienced this recently? If so, what have you done about it? Any other thoughts as to how I might go about fixing it myself (eg, I guess I could try a new optical cable)?

IF this is something I'll just have to live with, I might not be able to, which would be a shame since I really like everything else about this unit. I guess I need to make that decison soon.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Lardoggy

#2092 - 05/10/02 12:32 PM Re: Rear Channel Distortion in Natural Mode
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
This problem with the natural surrond mode distortion is described in the 1050 owners manual. I would like to use it for music but the distortion gets fairly bad sometimes. Not sure if it would, I do not want to damage my speakers.

------------------
My train wreck
My modest HT . .

#2093 - 05/10/02 03:01 PM Re: Rear Channel Distortion in Natural Mode
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
i have no trouble with my surrounds in natural mode. if anything they are to robust and need to be turned down a little. i listen with music all the time in this mode and never noticed any distortion. why does each 1050 vary so much i wonder?

#2094 - 05/10/02 03:02 PM Re: Rear Channel Distortion in Natural Mode
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
[QUOTE]Originally posted by e-dogg:
[B]i have no trouble with my surrounds in natural mode. if anything they are to robust and need to be turned down a little. i listen with music all the time in this mode and never noticed any distortion. why does each 1050 vary so much i wonder? they preform equally well in pro-logic also.

#2095 - 05/10/02 03:52 PM Re: Rear Channel Distortion in Natural Mode
nonzero Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Honolulu, HI
I also experienced this problem once playing a CD. I played another CD and the distortion was gone. I am testing my 1050's NATURAL mode these days in connection with another problem - there was a time when there was no sound coming out from my surrounds. I can't recreate the problems until now. I don't know if HEAT has something to do with it.

#2096 - 05/10/02 04:30 PM Re: Rear Channel Distortion in Natural Mode
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
On the 1050 I always thought that none of the surround modes (including DPL) sounded as good as straight two-channel stereo, and two-channel stereo does sound GOOD. On the 950 I can't decide between DPL-II and straight stereo.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#2097 - 05/10/02 07:15 PM Re: Rear Channel Distortion in Natural Mode
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Lardoggy,

Did you ask Scott about exchanging your unit for a new one? Then you could keep your 1050 AND get rid of the problem.

BTW, I don't know if mine does it or not as I've never used natural mode. Maybe I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. Then again, maybe not. We'll see!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts