Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#874 - 01/24/02 09:18 PM Question all Outlaws !
Jay-1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa, FL
Before I accidently drop a brick on this thing. Can someone let me know if I have the sub hooked up wrong ? Here is my current task

I just received a Carver 140x2 amp and SVS 20_39CS sub yesterday. Figured I would try and hook it up to the 1050. Simple right ? I hook up the speaker wire to the sub, then hook a sub rca wire from " LFE"/Sub out on the 1050 to the input of the carver amp ( tried left and right). Then, I went to the speaker settings and now turned the "subwoofer" setting "ON". Then set the crossover setting at 80hz just to start with. Then made sure to turn the speaker db setting to an even 0. I have nothing, nothing at all. To troubleshoot if it was the speaker or amp, I plugged the sub cable into the preamp front speaker output and there was sound. Not much, but atleast sound. One other question, for the individuals that have the 1050's when your receiver is off, there is a small led light underneath the power button that is lit up. When I turn mine on, this led goes off. Is this normal ? Just thought maybe it was supposed to turn a different color or something.

Thanks a bunch in advance, hopefully the replacement will be better. Forgive me anger :v/

#875 - 01/24/02 09:33 PM Re: Question all Outlaws !
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The LED on the 1050 does normally turn off when the unit is on -- you're OK there.

RCA cable from LFE/Sub output of 1050 to Carver amp, speaker wire from amp to sub is correct. Then sub set to on. Are you sure you're getting a tone that is low enough?

------------------
Gonk

#876 - 01/24/02 09:35 PM Re: Question all Outlaws !
Jay-1 Offline
Gunslinger

Oh yeah, I turned Matrix on and nothing. Also did the test sequence and don't even hear the test signal coming out.

Jeff

#877 - 01/24/02 11:39 PM Re: Question all Outlaws !
okc329 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
I just looked at the SVS web site and it looks like the sub-woofer model you have is a powered model. If that is so, I don't understand the need for the Carver amp. Why not go directly from the LFE output of the outlaw to the subwoofer's amp input?

#878 - 01/24/02 11:48 PM Re: Question all Outlaws !
okc329 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
Sorry. I mis-read the model number of your sub. It is not the powered version. You might try driving some of your other speakers with the Carver fed by a couple of the pre-outs of the 1050. That would eliminate it as a problem. If that works okay, it looks like the LFE output on your 1050 could be bad.

#879 - 01/25/02 12:31 AM Re: Question all Outlaws !
Mark Offline
Gunslinger

Jay, I am not sure about the sub question. But the light on the 1050 is to let you know it is on "Stand-by". To completely shut down power simply turn it off from the switch on the back of the receiver.

#880 - 01/25/02 01:51 AM Re: Question all Outlaws !
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay-1:
Before I accidently drop a brick on this thing. Can someone let me know if I have the sub hooked up wrong ?

I have a Carver m1.5t on my LFE output and it works great. One thing though - I notice I never get anything from the LFE except on Dolby Digital sound tracks.

Not sure why this is. It may be since I have all speakers except center set to 'large', or .....?

I expected the bass from the center to go to LFE, but no dice - I'm assuming it gets split between the two fronts - that's kinda what it sounds like.

Anyway - try a DD movie, and play with the LFE gain. My setup literally shakes the window frames in my house on several movies.

Try JP3, Space Cowboys, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider or U-571.

Charlie

#881 - 01/25/02 08:14 AM Re: Question all Outlaws !
Jay-1 Offline
Gunslinger

So you're not able to use the subwoofer when say playing music ? Only Dolby mode ?? ?

anyone ??

#882 - 01/25/02 09:39 AM Re: Question all Outlaws !
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
From what I understand (don't have a sub in my system yet), if the main speakers are set to "small" then the information below the crossover point should go to the sub, whether you're in a DSP mode or not.

------------------
Gonk

#883 - 01/25/02 09:39 AM Re: Question all Outlaws !
Scott Offline
Desperado

Jay-1,

In order for your sub to be active during stereo playback, your main speakers must be set to "Small". A "Large" Setting indicates that they have a flat frequency response to 20 Hz, and do not require an additional sub.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 145 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts