Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#33269 - 06/25/04 04:47 PM Device to prevent spikes?
Bobtheicon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Chattanooga, TN USA
I recently purchased 2 M200's and I love them. I am running them from the output of my Mitsubishi TV to my jBls and they sound great.

The only problem I have is that when I turn on or turn off the TV, there is a loud "pop" and it puts the amps in RED mode.

To help this, I now turn on the TV first, then turn on the amps. And when powering down, I turn off the amps first then the TV.

I had hoped to run these guys in the "MUSIC" mode so they would automatically turn on when I turn on the TV, but since the TV makes a loud spike I can't do this.

Is there any type of device that I can put inline between the TV outs and the amps ins?

Its not a big deal, but sometimes I forget and turn off the TV first -- I hate seeing the amps go RED.

Thanks,
Bob

#33270 - 06/26/04 08:30 AM Re: Device to prevent spikes?
musiciseverything Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
Can you run your audio equipment on a different AC line? Also, the fault may be that running the RCA out from the TV is giving you an electrical surge through the TV outputs. My M200s are run through a Monster Power 3600 and there is no pop. I believe most of the "filter" style power boxes will eliminate this, but I prefer a dedicated AC line. There will be many opinions on this issue...

[This message has been edited by musiciseverything (edited June 26, 2004).]

#33271 - 06/29/04 04:00 PM Re: Device to prevent spikes?
Bobtheicon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the reply Musiciseverything.

There is no audio equipment other than the TV and the 2 M200's. All 3 devices are plugged into an APC 1000VA Smart UPS (for line conditioning, noise filtering, and surge suppression - and its nice to be able to watch TV if the power goes out).

I know that the POP is coming from the TV and not the M200s. I used to have an old (circa 1985) Onkyo receiver attached to the TV and the POP was there also.

Is there any kind of RCA filter that I can put between the TV and the the M200s?

#33272 - 06/29/04 04:51 PM Re: Device to prevent spikes?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
musiciseverything reply is right on. Your UPS is not strong enough to filter out the surge from the TV. I would take the amps off the UPS immediately. I don't know the exact power they use, but make sure that if you need one to get a filter that has enough juice for the amps and is rated for an audio amplifier. I'm actually amazed you're powering amps off the TV's preamp. You're other option here is to pick up either a cheap receiver with pre-outs or a used processor and run the audio through that. In the process, it would also set you up for surround sound.

#33273 - 06/29/04 05:04 PM Re: Device to prevent spikes?
Bobtheicon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Jason.
Yeah, the sound from the Onkyo was pretty weak so I thought I'd try the M200s straight from the TV. I figured it was worth a shot with the Outlaw return policy.

I'm glad I tried it too cause it sounds GREAT!! And, since Dish Network has the Sirius music channels now, and I can play CDs through my DVD player, I really have no need for a receiver at this point.

Plus I would say that 90% of the material I watch right now is not 5.1 anyway - so stereo sound is perfect for me.

I will take the amps off the UPS. That makes a lot of sense. I could plug each one into its own outlet, but they may be on the same circuit. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for your input.

#33274 - 06/29/04 08:22 PM Re: Device to prevent spikes?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
By all means do like the other members have suggested and take the amps off the UPS. Sometimes a power line filter like the TripLite Isobar will help with spikes like this, but sometimes not. For now, your best solution is the turning off and on sequence you arrived at which admittedly is a hassle. In the days of "real AC power switches", you could supress such turn-on surges by placing a capacitor across the contacts of the switch. But there are no "real AC power swtiches" anymore. Times change. I am sad.

#33275 - 06/29/04 10:09 PM Re: Device to prevent spikes?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
What model Onkyo? If it's new enough, it probably has pre-amp outputs. You could use those to bypass the internal amplifier in order to use your M200 amps. The recently upgraded lowest model on the Onkyo series of receivers, the 502, even features pre-amp outputs...

#33276 - 06/30/04 09:02 AM Re: Device to prevent spikes?
Bobtheicon Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I like the capacitor idea -- hmmmm, but I better not try anything (my experiments sometimes have disasterous results a la Tim the Toolman Taylor).

And yes, my Onkyo is very old but has served me well for almost 20 years. It is an Integra TX-85 -- big and heavy, but no preamp outputs (or remote for that matter. you used to be able to buy a wired remote for it).

Who's Online
0 registered (), 120 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts