Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#33717 - 06/12/05 01:28 AM For a subwoofer
ScottM Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Massachusetts
I've got these questions sent to support, but this might be faster...

I'm considering using an M-200 to power a subwoofer (4 ohm VMPS Larger). Anyone know where the -3db points are on tne frequency response for these amps? Anyone know of any problems driving them down to 10Hz?

Anyone know if it's possible to take two of these and strap them in parallel?

People have mentioned transformer hum. I plan to give this thing a dedicated 20A line, which ought to be more than it will ever eat; but the same subpanel is supporting several other high current amps, and a 2400W dimmer. If they are prone to hum I need to know that - I get real grumpy if I can hear hum. (I'm selling off an Earthquake Supernova sub because the blasted transformer isn't silent.)

How's reliability under load? One thing I use a subwoofer for is acoustic tests - blasting a room with 110db at 30, 50 and 70Hz for many minutes at a time. Any issues?

How long is the warranty?

Thanks!

#33718 - 06/13/05 10:20 AM Re: For a subwoofer
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The power output specs cover 20Hz to 20,000Hz, but that doesn't tell us anything about how much lower or higher it is capable of going. I'm not sure about the parallel configuration. Presumably you are splitting the input signal to both amps, then connecting both to a single driver. I'd definitely want Outlaw to sign off on that before doing it, as it is not the way they are intended to be used.

Are you really putting a single amp with a max rated power consumption of 600W all by itself on a 20A circuit? A 15A circuit offers three times as much power as an M200 could use at peak output. As for hum, all I can tell you is that the two M200's in my system have never exhibited any hum.

There have been a few other folks who have used M200's to drive subs, so there may be some older threads (or some other forum members) that could offer some thoughts on frequency response and load handling.

Warranty is five years, and it is transferrable if you sell it during that time.

#33719 - 06/13/05 12:02 PM Re: For a subwoofer
ScottM Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
The power output specs cover 20Hz to 20,000Hz, but that doesn't tell us anything about how much lower or higher it is capable of going.

Right. Down 2db at 4Hz, I could live with. Down 0.5db at 20Hz (which I saw in a plate amp intended for subwoofers) - there's no excuse for that in any monoblock. That's why I'm hoping the kind folk here will publish some numbers.

I'm not sure about the parallel configuration. I'd definitely want Outlaw to sign off on that before doing it, as it is not the way they are intended to be used.

Bridging stereo amps is common enough, and that's all this amounts to - but yeah, I want to check on this. Of course, if I could find +500W monoblocks with decent numbers for less than botique dollars, I wouldn't be looking at bridging two amps.

Are you really putting a single amp with a max rated power consumption of 600W all by itself on a 20A circuit?

House rules. Every component in the room gets a dedicated, 20A run back to the sub panel. This is more about keeping components from interfering with each other, than it is giving them enough raw power; I only have one component that could conceivably draw 20A, and I don't plan to run it that hard. Well, rarely. laugh

It's not a sane room. ( The Room Story )

Warranty is five years, and it is transferrable if you sell it during that time.
Does it cover picky minor complaints from fanatics?

#33720 - 06/13/05 12:33 PM Re: For a subwoofer
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Read your room story - woah! Suddenly, last year's kitchen renovation seems almost painless. Wow. When it's all done, I'd be interested to see some pictures of "The Room." I suspect that Outlaw can track down some more detailed specs on the M200 for you.

#33721 - 06/13/05 02:28 PM Re: For a subwoofer
theproletariat Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri City, Texas
Not sure about actual numbers but I have a test CD that runs tones down to 15 Hz and the M200's will vibrate things at that frequency (Its actually kind of fun to trip people out with this, they don't understand why the can feel it but not hear anything). As far as hum is concerned, I have 10 of the M200's on two seperate circuits and they are totally quiet. Initially they would hum (which drove me crazy) but I was able to trace the problem back to my satellite dish not being grounded to the same spot as the rest of the electrical system. Move the ground and no more hum, ever.

#33722 - 06/13/05 03:36 PM Re: For a subwoofer
ScottM Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Read your room story - woah! Suddenly, last year's kitchen renovation seems almost painless. Wow. When it's all done, I'd be interested to see some pictures of "The Room." I suspect that Outlaw can track down some more detailed specs on the M200 for you.
Apparently I'm the first guy to ask for frequency response data. They are trying to dig some up. They *must* have specified some minimum requirements when they asked for designs, right...?

There are pictures of the room, very much unfinished, at zip of pics - finished will have to wait a few more weeks. (mutter)

#33723 - 06/13/05 05:23 PM Re: For a subwoofer
theproletariat Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri City, Texas

#33724 - 06/13/05 07:26 PM Re: For a subwoofer
ScottM Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by theproletariat:
This article may help some.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_2/outlaw-audio-200-amplifier-4-2003.html
Hm. That does help. That's info that Outlaw Support didn't have...

Ouch. Down 1db at 20Hz, 2db at 14Hz. That's a little steep...

#33725 - 06/14/05 02:05 PM Re: For a subwoofer
clo2016 Offline
Gunslinger

ScottM, please update your story soon. It was fun reading:-)

I would think you could modify the M200 with a different input cap to lower the rolloff of the low end. I know it might end your warranty, but that risk might not be that big of deal when you look at what you have into the whole deal so far.

Just a thought.

#33726 - 06/14/05 03:41 PM Re: For a subwoofer
ScottM Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by clo2016:
ScottM, please update your story soon. It was fun reading:-)
Fun? FUN?! I'm bleeding here, dude!

I would think you could modify the M200 with a different input cap to lower the rolloff of the low end. I know it might end your warranty, but that risk might not be that big of deal when you look at what you have into the whole deal so far.

Hm. I don't know how to calculate rolloff, but just "bigger cap" might work. Or will that phase-distort? I don't suppose Outlaw publishes schematics?

Note to Outlaw if they're watching: follow Aragon's example and let your amps go down to 5Hz flat, as that's quite useful in HT. Or Bryston's example and go down to 0.5Hz, on the grounds that you can never, ever be too flat. Or just put in a switch labelled "DC limiter" that folk with well-behaved preamps can flip off...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 75 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts