Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#33389 - 11/26/04 07:28 AM still waiting for standby
chas5 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cos Cob, Connecticut
just received pair of m200's that i am using to drive a set of mirage 1090i's. the receiver being used is a b&k avr 307. when i have the amps set to music and power the unit down after use, the amps take an awfully long time to switch into standby mode. actually they took over an hour to switch. even when i had the amps on for five minutes it still took a while. my old adcom set up with seperates used to drain down instantly. to me, these amps sound very bright/dynamic in 2 channel mode which steals some bass from the speakers but in sorround mode they are very detailed. any comments please help.

#33390 - 11/26/04 11:26 AM Re: still waiting for standby
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
When using the 12V trigger, they would shut down instantly as well, but the music sense option is using the signal on the pre-amp output to determine when to power on and off. The delay in shutting off in "music" mode is intentional, from what I understand - the idea is for there to be no danger of them shutting off during passages of silence while listening. This is very similar to powered subwoofers' amps - the only difference being that the M200's may be more visible than the plate amp on the back of a sub, so you more readily notice how long they stay on after the signal is cut off.

#33391 - 11/26/04 02:12 PM Re: still waiting for standby
chas5 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Cos Cob, Connecticut
i just tried the trigger switch which i bi-wired and it does turn the amps off instantly. now maybe i can get some sleep !

#33392 - 12/04/04 03:44 PM Re: still waiting for standby
ScottH Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY, USA
My m200's switch to standby after about 15 minutes of activity.

But this creates a different problem: There are plenty of movies where the rear channels are silent long enough to make one or more of my M200s switch into standby mode. I can see the light go from green to orange, and if I'm listening at low volume, I can hear a click.

The M200 manual says that "connecting more than two model 200s to a single source controller may overload the system and is not recommended...we recommend the use of either the music sense circuitry or an externally powered relay controller."

Does anyone know what you would need to get to have one 950 trigger 7 m200's?

#33393 - 12/06/04 12:46 AM Re: still waiting for standby
ASTORPIAZZOLA Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

the music sense trigger system may be rated at 15 minutes, but it takes way longer than that ...
i think it's more like chas5 posted,^more than one hour!!

I use two pa2000 from hk and the music sense shuts the amps in standby in about ten to fifteen minutes wich is perfectly functional.

i have decided to use the 12v amp trigger system on the m200 using the amp trigger output on my hk avr8000 wich i use as a pre(very useful with dual-dsp).Its works pefectly for my 7 m200.But when i added the two pa2000,one works well but the other doesn't.I'm not sure if more than 8 amps on the trigger output of the avr8000 is too much, or if it's the "Y adapter" that i had to use to split the trigger signal because unlike the m200, the two PA2000 don't proide a trigger loop through(wich in my mind works the same way as a"Y adapter").But it works flawlessly with only 7 monoblocks!

#33394 - 12/06/04 08:17 AM Re: still waiting for standby
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I did a little searching through the 200 section of the forum and found a little information that might be useful .

Quote:
Update:
While we were being somewhat conservative with our recommendations, the sheer weight of these units really limits the stack to three units. More than three units does increase the risk of heat or weight related damage.

The trigger will accept as little as a 6 V DC 4 mA signal. However, since many of you will likely be using higher voltage and mA triggers you should easily be able to trigger seven or more of these amplifiers.

Best,

Scott
This matches Astorpiazzola's experience with being able to trigger seven M200's from one signal. Some trigger sources might not be able to pull it off, but it sounds like the 950 will do it. On the other hand, triggering anything after the seventh amp may become difficult since the signal will have weakened significantly by then.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts