Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#31348 - 08/04/07 03:41 PM My 2150 Arrived Today!
VinylAddict Offline
Gunslinger

Looking forward to getting it hooked up this afternoon.

This will be replacing the Cambridge Audio 640A amp and 540P phono-stage. Very curious to hear how it sounds - looks great!
Outlaw RR2150 Receiver · KAB-mod'd SL1200MK2 Turntable · AudioTechnica AT-440MLa & AT-130E Cartridges · Tascam CD-RW900 CD Recorder · Lite DAC-AH DAC · DB Systems Subsonic Filter · KEF IQ-3 Monitors · Outlaw LFM-2 Subwoofer · AudioQuest Cables

#31349 - 08/04/07 04:48 PM Re: My 2150 Arrived Today!
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Great to hear, Vinyl Addict. I'm really curious to hear how the RR 2150 compares to your other equipment. Acquiring this unit is what prompted me to purchase a turntable after 20 years without one. I'm quite happy--listening to a live disc by the violinist Gidon Kremer as I write this--though that's probably easier since I had nothing to compare it with.

#31350 - 08/05/07 01:26 AM Re: My 2150 Arrived Today!
VinylAddict Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the response tru blu.

Well - I can clearly say that this is hands-down the best built in phono-stage I've ever heard in a sub-$1000 integrated amp. Well besting the Musical Fidelity, Creek, and Cambridge integrated phono-stages I've run in the past.

The amp sounds wonderful - I'm spinning an original copy of Rush's "Fly by Night" and it sounds great. Damn close to my reference system! I'm having to run it through some Energy Connoisseur C-3's I had sitting around right now until my NHT Classic Three's arrive next week.

What turntable did you buy?
Outlaw RR2150 Receiver · KAB-mod'd SL1200MK2 Turntable · AudioTechnica AT-440MLa & AT-130E Cartridges · Tascam CD-RW900 CD Recorder · Lite DAC-AH DAC · DB Systems Subsonic Filter · KEF IQ-3 Monitors · Outlaw LFM-2 Subwoofer · AudioQuest Cables

#31351 - 08/05/07 06:54 AM Re: My 2150 Arrived Today!
tru blu Offline
Desperado

An original copy of Fly By Night? That goes back. I think I first boarded the Rush train some time later.

My turntable is a recent model by Pro-Ject, a Debut III. It's accompanied by a Pro-Ject SpeedBox Mk II, which changes the speed electronically so I'm not continuously going under the platter. Really having a good time with it; also listened to Hendrix's The Cry Of Love and the White Stripes' White Blood Cells today, both of which I just found on vinyl.

Coincidentally, my RR 2150 also drives NHT Classic Threes; got them because at the time I was looking for great bass without a subwoofer—which they definitely provided—but then I ended up acquiring a sub anyway. Very pleased with the setup, but if I'm completely honest with myself (and my wife), the Classic Threes were just fine without the enhancement. I guess when you've got a little extra dosh to blow you can convince yourself you need anything. Happy spinning.

P.S. Kinda curious about your reference system.

#31352 - 08/06/07 12:07 AM Re: My 2150 Arrived Today!
VinylAddict Offline
Gunslinger

I've owned a couple of Music Hall tables which are built in the same factory as the Pro-Ject's and utilize the same arm. They are quite good - glad you're enjoying it!

My reference system consists of Musical Fidelity amplification, Von Schweikert speakers, with a J.A. Michell / Dynavector 20xL analog front end.

I've got to tell you though - I've been listening to the RR2150 pretty much non-stop since yesterday and it's about as musical of an integrated amp I've ever heard. The system it's in has a KAB modified Technics SL-1200MK2 with an Audio-Technica 440MLa cartridge. If I'm honest with myself, "mid-fi" systems like these are really my favorite. The equipment just gets out of the way and I find myself listening to the music more. With detailed reference systems I end up paying less attention to the music and more to the system. It is, after all, about the music now isn't it!

I'm glad to hear your comments on the RR2150/NHT Classic Three combo. I've always been quite impressed with NHT bookshelf speakers and have read nothing but stellar comments concerning the Three's. My intent is to run them without a sub and if the Energy's are any indication, I won't need one.

#31353 - 08/06/07 11:24 AM Re: My 2150 Arrived Today!
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Interesting...when I entered the Saloon last year it was to ask about Von Schweikerts, VR-1s specifically. Went with the NHTs because a terrific deal showed up on eBay. I wish they were a bit more efficient for low-volume listening (we live in an apartment and sometimes I gotta keep things down), but otherwise I have no complaints. And yeah, for me it's all about the music. Happy spinning.

P.S. When you get your new speakers, I'd be curous to hear your impressions.

#31354 - 08/10/07 06:52 PM Re: My 2150 Arrived Today!
LesPaul666 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hi All!

I'm looking into purchasing the RR2150, and a pair of the Outlaw Bookshelf Speakers for a second system.

Has anyone had experience with this combination? Seems like it would be a very good sounding and versatile setup for the money. smile

#31355 - 08/10/07 07:23 PM Re: My 2150 Arrived Today!
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY
Vinyl Addict, that's awesome..it sounds like you're really enjoying yourself, which is just the point like you said. I am very curious though, you said that you "have to" run your 2150 through your C3 speakers. Is that a bad thing ? I'm asking because those are the speakers that I have (sitting patiently in the closet) and am still waiting on my 2150 purchase.

I'd really like to know what I can expect to hear with the C3/2150 combo. I'm sure I"ll eventually get better speakers and a sub, but for now I have other stuff to ponder. We're moving either at the end of this month, or beginning to middle of next so soon after that... I'm definitely getting the Outlaw.

I think this info might also help LesPaul since he has the same kind of question. Thanks !

Doug

#31356 - 08/10/07 07:27 PM Re: My 2150 Arrived Today!
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY
Hey Tru Blu, question about your Pro Ject speedbox: Do you know if it's compatible with a Rega P2 ? If not, are there similar devices which I might be able to look at for a decent price ?

Doug

#31357 - 08/10/07 08:53 PM Re: My 2150 Arrived Today!
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Oddly enough, Doug, the Speed Box II (what I have) isn't even compatible with some Pro-Ject turntables. But Pro-Ject also makes a Speed Box SE that seems compatible with other brands. It's also substantially more expensive. Here\'s a link with the various speed controllers carried by Needle Doctor, which is where I got my SB II.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 177 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts