Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#31788 - 02/17/08 06:48 PM ventilation in stereo cabinet - advice?
murdoch Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Toronto
I've picked up a new stereo cabinet and am concerned about ventilation.

Cabinet is approx 3' tall x 2' wide x 2 ' deep. Has a glass door at the front and two holes for wires at bottom (in the back).

Contains an RR2150 (at top), CD multi-changer (middle), and Apple Airport, surge protection, wires (bottom).

I've noticed that the ~3" gap above the RR2150 does get noticeably warmer than ambient if left running with the glass door closed.

I'm thinking of drilling a hole (or two) for ventilation at the top (in the back). Maybe adding a fan in there to move the air around.

Wondering if anyone had any guidance about their own cabinets and/or ventilation?

Thx.

#31789 - 02/18/08 01:13 AM Re: ventilation in stereo cabinet - advice?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
A hole or two would help. The RR2150 is going to be your main heat source, so putting it at the top will help avoid dumping its heat across the associated devices. If you have some openings to allow airflow in (at the bottom) and out (at the top), that's a good place to start. A fan could be added later if necessary. I've also used a cheap indoor/outdoor digital thermometer to track temperatures in an equipment rack - most will remember the highest temperature recorded, so you can see just how hot it gets.

#31790 - 02/18/08 07:03 PM Re: ventilation in stereo cabinet - advice?
murdoch Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Toronto
Two holes and much sawdust later ...

Thanks, Gonk. Great idea re: the thermometer. Have added that to the next shopping list.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 189 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts