Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#31622 - 11/13/07 12:26 AM New RR2150 Owner!
aka Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lancaster CA USA
Howdy Kids!
My first post. Just received my B-Stock RR2150 last week. Spent several hours breaking it in over the weekend. Miles Davis to Pink Floyd, Talking Heads to Eric Alexander.
Rig: Denon 3910 disc player. Axiom M80v2 speakers.
Upshot: Very Impressed. Great match to the M80s. A freakin' steal at $499!
My only (minor) quibble would be the ~2mm 'play' in the volume control knob - which I imagine is normal.
Am wondering about the use of the Speaker EQ. M80's seem to flesh out well with 55 setting. Anyone care to advise on the use of the EQ
switch? (I am not running a sub - am purely a 2CH Dinosaur)
One Happy Outlaw Camper here!

#31623 - 11/13/07 12:43 AM Re: New RR2150 Owner!
JimP Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cushing, Maine
Quote:
Originally posted by aka:

My only (minor) quibble would be the ~2mm 'play' in the volume control knob - which I imagine is normal.
Am wondering about the use of the Speaker EQ. M80's seem to flesh out well with 55 setting. Anyone care to advise on the use of the EQ
switch? (I am not running a sub - am purely a 2CH Dinosaur)
One Happy Outlaw Camper here!
1st- Welcome to the party.
2nd- I am afraid the volume knob slop is normal.
3rd- If you are not running subs... set the EQ switch to BP, things will sound better that way. I am referring to the one on the back of the unit.

RR2150, Oppo 970HD, B&W 802 Series 3 Matrix

#31624 - 11/13/07 06:37 AM Re: New RR2150 Owner!
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY, NY
Congrats ! +1 to the new owner camp, but I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Should be here by Wednesday I hope. About the volume thing:

I was reading a thread here somewhere which pointed to a 10dB attenuator which can be bought from Audiogon. I forget the price, but was thinking about that for myself in the future too, if I found it a pain.

#31625 - 11/13/07 10:54 PM Re: New RR2150 Owner!
aka Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the welcome guys!

JimP - OK - I set the back EQ switch to BP - thanks! Have also defaulted to setting the front EQ switch to Off. M80's very full and clean across the spectrum. No boost necessary.

Sweet Spot - Thanks for the attenuators tip - the 'play' in the volume control is really no biggie for me - I just turn it louder than I want then gently dial back/down to the desired listening level.
I look fwd to hearing how you like your 2150 (any day now!).

Gotta say things have never sounded so good around here!

#31626 - 11/14/07 03:51 PM Re: New RR2150 Owner!
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

I'm not going to hijack your thread and steal your glory, but just wanted to say that it arrived ! smile

#31627 - 11/15/07 12:58 AM Re: New RR2150 Owner!
aka Offline
Gunslinger

Cool!
Await your take - highjack away!

#31628 - 11/15/07 08:28 PM Re: New RR2150 Owner!
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

I'm sure you read my latest (entitled ramblings of a happy idiot) post over in my thread, but since you insist !

I'll just use a few adjectives:

Full
Detailed
Warm
A sinch and joy to operate.

Even from the line out of my iRiver IHP 120 with tone control defeated, it sounds pretty damned good, given the right recording. FLAC always helps ! (so does ROCKbox)

And while my iPod is slightly more colored and bass heavy than my IHP, it too sounds good.

I was over joyed to see that even though I bought a B-Stock unit, that there are absolutely no visible blemishes whatsoever ! Not a scratch from what my old eyes can detect, anywhere.

Shipping was super fast I believe. My wife had to confirm the order because it was placed on HER Outlaw credit card.. Can you believe that ? SHE is the one with the Outlaw card ! So I think it was shipped on Monday night (7pm) and it arrived at 9 am Wednesday morning via fedex. Nice turn around time, especially for not having to pay for shipping !

Well... if I have to say ONE negative thing about it, it is going to be the one complaint that we've all seen here. But I'll tell ya, I'm not really all THAT bothered by the remote control volume issue. In the 2150 manual, they describe the motor as being precise. I'd rather say that it's ultra sensitive and only precise if you count precise as meaning that adjustments are always made in 15 degree increments.

I think i can live with it though, and perhaps I'll try the volume attenuator one day as well.

Overall so far though ?

Two big thumbs up to go along with a happy s-eating grin.

#31629 - 11/16/07 12:05 AM Re: New RR2150 Owner!
aka Offline
Gunslinger

Ha! Great!

Yeah, my B-Stock is flawless too - kick in the pants @$499, eh?

Long May We 2-Channel Dinosaurs Roam!

#31630 - 11/16/07 02:48 AM Re: New RR2150 Owner!
mookdoc6 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Antioch Il
anybody heard the radio on this thing!

#31631 - 11/16/07 03:58 AM Re: New RR2150 Owner!
Sweet Spot Offline
Gunslinger

Radio ? What's that ? wink

But seriously.. The last time I heard something worth listening to (besides Opie and Anthony) on the radio, must have been back in the late 70's, riding in my aunt's or grandparent's car. Aah.. the 70's.. good stuff.

Today's commercial music is just garbage IMO. And even though the occasional NPR show is good, I can get NPR online, as well as the 2 classical stations we have here, as well as the two jazz stations. The reception/fidelity for said stations isn't so great anyway, so really not worth it for me.

What's sad is that you'd think NYC would have some really good music stations. Instead, all they do is constantly change the station's formats, and never for the better IMO. I dunno, anything that has to follow the standard formats isn't worth anything anyway. There are no real "DJ"'s anymore. All they are is a bunch of playlist robots with horribly fake personalities and no control over what is on the air.

I would rather there not have been a tuner at all, to be honest. besides, I can get FM on my Mp3 player (iRiver IHP) and then attach it to the Outlaw. It gets very decent reception.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts