Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#31385 - 08/20/07 06:33 PM RR2150 Questions
sb-avnut Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago - W. Suburbs, IL
My previous post was about testing the RR2150 - this one has some questions for current owners.

The condition of the unit was good. Not as good as the B-Stock 7125 that I bought a while ago (I am the king of B-stock/used stuff - :-)). This one has obviously been used - someone put some equipment on top of it (CD player??), so there are some marks. But that is expected of B-stock items - the 7125 was an exception - it looked brand new. Two new sealed batteries were sent with the remote. However, one of the batteries had a big dent, so I threw them away and put two new AAA batteries - no big deal.

Some comments:

Ample power - I heard the unit for only about 2 hours, so it is too early to make comments about the SQ. I did some quick tests - heard the unit as a pre-amp + amp, pre-amp only, amp only. Noticed that the pre-amp section adds a LOT of voltage (volume??? - I am probably missing the correct words). No one should be concerned about the unit's POWER - in my large room with the VR-2s, comfortable volume at listening position was with the dial at 9pm. Could go up to noon position, but it got to be too loud after a while - had to go the back of the room (kitchen area) to listen comfortably.

Perhaps, this is the reason that a lot of people have problems with the remote volume control - it becomes too loud before the volume knob hits the 10pm position, even with avg efficient speakers). Once it hits the noon positon, the change is not so dramatic (perhaps, by then, my ears are so used to the loud volume...).

All my equipment is dead quiet - no hum, no hiss.

Some questions for RR2150 owners:

1. Seems like there is an issue with the remote. Read the manual - PWR button turns the unit OFF (as long as the RR button was selected before) - any input selection turns the unit ON. My problem - can't get the remote to either turn the unit ON or OFF. Otherwise, the remote works fine - volume, mute, input change, etc... Am I doing something wrong?

2. Turn the volume reasonably high (can't find my SPL meter, but say about 85 db about 12 ft away from speakers - press the MUTE button. Do you still hear the music faintly from your sitting position? 1 ft away from the speakers? Now change the input source to something else (with the mute button on), do you hear music faintly?

3. Turn the source select to Phono - do you hear a loud hiss thru your speakers?

Answers to these 3 questions would be very appreciated.

Regards,

SB

LIVRM 2ch - Philips 963SA,Lexicon DC-1,Carver AV-505,Von Schweikert VR-2,Sony KDF-E42A10

#31386 - 08/21/07 03:59 AM Re: RR2150 Questions
mookdoc6 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Antioch Il
I found that the remote angle is mainly the problem. I am always going up on volume or down on volume when punching the opposite direction only when the angle is sick i.e. almost 90' so straight on or less acute works fine! It's a nice piece and sounds better than anything at the price level.

#31387 - 08/21/07 03:34 PM Re: RR2150 Questions
VinylAddict Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by sb-avnut:
Some questions for RR2150 owners:

1. Seems like there is an issue with the remote. Read the manual - PWR button turns the unit OFF (as long as the RR button was selected before) - any input selection turns the unit ON. My problem - can't get the remote to either turn the unit ON or OFF. Otherwise, the remote works fine - volume, mute, input change, etc... Am I doing something wrong?

2. Turn the volume reasonably high (can't find my SPL meter, but say about 85 db about 12 ft away from speakers - press the MUTE button. Do you still hear the music faintly from your sitting position? 1 ft away from the speakers? Now change the input source to something else (with the mute button on), do you hear music faintly?

3. Turn the source select to Phono - do you hear a loud hiss thru your speakers?

Answers to these 3 questions would be very appreciated.

Regards,

SB
The remote problem is interesting - my remote will turn the unit off, but will only turn on if I press the power button on the remote. Pressing an individual input, phono for example, does not turn the unit on. I'd call Outlaw if your remote is not turning the unit on and off with the power button.

The switching crosstalk you describe in question two is all but universal in every intergrated amp I've ever owned regardless of price. It's usually only audible at the extreme end of the volume limit - the RR2150 is no better or no worse in this regard than most in my experience.

The hiss you hear in the phono section is also universal to phono pre-amps, regardless of price. The phono stage is taking a tiny amount of voltage (usually from .3mv to 4mv) and having to amplify it to a line level of around 200mv. You're going to have hiss unless the top end is rolled off. The noise introduced by the RR2150's phono stage is minimal when compared to many other integrated and external mid-level phono-stages. The stage itself is freakin' phenomenal for an integrated phono section, one of the best I've ever heard!
Outlaw RR2150 Receiver · KAB-mod'd SL1200MK2 Turntable · AudioTechnica AT-440MLa & AT-130E Cartridges · Tascam CD-RW900 CD Recorder · Lite DAC-AH DAC · DB Systems Subsonic Filter · KEF IQ-3 Monitors · Outlaw LFM-2 Subwoofer · AudioQuest Cables

#31388 - 08/22/07 05:55 AM Re: RR2150 Questions
sb-avnut Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago - W. Suburbs, IL
VinylAddict -thanks for your input. I will call Outlaw tomorrow and ask about the remote.

This is my first experience with a 2ch receiver/int-amp. The Lexicon is DEAD quiet and the LMC-1 is on its way to TN, so nothing to compare to. I will have access to a Cambridge Audio 640A (v2) soon (for a couple days). Will check it for crosstalk too.

Just to make it clear, the phono stage hiss is only heard when the volume knob is turned WAY HIGH. I would NEVER play actual music that high - either my ears will pop or the speaker's driver will fry (or the house will implode...).

LIVRM 2ch - Philips 963SA,Lexicon DC-1,Carver AV-505,Von Schweikert VR-2,Sony KDF-E42A10

Who's Online
0 registered (), 213 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts