Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#31060 - 01/10/07 11:03 AM Biwiring out of the 2150?
penn stythe Offline
Gunslinger

Is it possible to biwire out of the 2150 using the A speaker side for the top end in the loudspeaker and the B speaker for the bottom end? I suspect it is. Running the 2150 in A&B speaker mode......if so, what is the power output and impeadence running out of both A&B? Would it drop to 4 ohm loads or stay at 8? Thanks!

#31061 - 01/10/07 01:02 PM Re: Biwiring out of the 2150?
palmer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South San Francisco, CA USA
Hi Penn,

Your best resource would be to ask Outlaw tech support for the definitive answer. Here on the forums, Search is your friend...

Here's a post with user experiences re: impedence and output running A&B, nothing on biwiring.

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/17/t/000059.html

One thing to keep in mind would be Bass management. If you are planning on running a sub, remember that bass management is only applied to the A speaker pair. So definitely attach A to the top end (tweeters) as you describe.

Here's a thread on biwiring:

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/17/t/000055.html

Good luck, and don't forget to let us know how it goes!

Tony.
Video: Sony KDL-46V2500, OPPO BDP-103, TiVo Premiere XL4
2-channel: Outlaw RR2150, SF Concerto Home, Outlaw LFM-2

#31062 - 01/10/07 02:03 PM Re: Biwiring out of the 2150?
penn stythe Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, the speakers I'm running would be dantax vision 1's. Already running a 4 ohm load. I believe it would be much easier to run a single speaker this way. The post above the guy was running to different polk's. Of course outlaw set up the 2150 to run both a&b at the same time. If I were to run a sub, I would use the preout for that...which would then bypass the lowest frequencies off the speaker so the Dantax basically become a mid and high transducer...depending of course on the cut-off. Thanks!

#31063 - 01/10/07 02:57 PM Re: Biwiring out of the 2150?
palmer Offline
Gunslinger

I think you're right about the load, I've bi-wired Sonus Faber Concerto's (6 ohm load)with an old NAD 3240PE 40W integrated using A&B speaker outs with no trouble, even at high volume.

The Dantax Vision's look pretty sleek and sexy... Let us know how they sound with the 2150.

Enjoy!

#31064 - 01/11/07 01:08 AM Re: Biwiring out of the 2150?
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
I biwire (not biamp) my Magnaplanar 1.6QR's from an Adcom GFA535 running in A&B mode. Works fine. I don't know why the same wouldn't be true for any other amp that has A and B outputs that can be chosen at the same time. Biamping would be another matter entirely.

#31065 - 01/11/07 07:40 AM Re: Biwiring out of the 2150?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
This may be a silly question, but does using the A&B outputs really serve as biamping? With only one channel of amplification driving each speaker, you shouldn't have any more power when using the A and B outputs as you would just bi-wiring from the A outputs - either way, you're asking the same single channel of amplification to drive the speaker.

#31066 - 01/11/07 11:11 AM Re: Biwiring out of the 2150?
palmer Offline
Gunslinger

D'oh! Of course you're right, gonk (you, too psyprof1). This scenario would indeed be bi-wiring, as was what I did with my old NAD. Thanks!

#31067 - 01/12/07 03:00 PM Re: Biwiring out of the 2150?
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Gonk, you're right as usual; I tried biwiring the Maggies from the Adcom's A and B terminals because I'd read somewhere that there might be a sonic benefit from having separate wires for tweeter and woofer feeds. (What other reason for biwiring would there be?) And the sound does seem to me to be marginally more detailed, especially in the treble.
Of course, as in so much of subjective judgment in audio, it could be autosuggestion.

#31068 - 01/13/07 04:27 PM Re: Biwiring out of the 2150?
penn stythe Offline
Gunslinger

I'm running a 4 ohm speaker with biwiring capability...add to that a sunfire woofer and yes, biwiring does "add" to the sound quality. If biwiring didn't work, speaker manufacturers wouldn't do it, and save money..now, it has to be a true biwire in the speaker....the Dantax's are. The biwire bypasses the crossover...It does provide and easier route for the receiver to run a 4 ohm load. Theoretically...you should be able to run 2 4 ohm systems on A&B and have good output and definition....but you will pay the price on equipment fatigue. Some of which is attributed to heat buildup. My main system is run with Boulder amps and MBL loudspeakers. Biwiring these is a turkey shoot....They are designed for a single input even though they have biwire terminals. The MBL's however...are biamped, which provides a far more measurable benefit in sound....as always in audio, if it sounds good...do it!!! smile

#31069 - 01/13/07 05:45 PM Re: Biwiring out of the 2150?
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Penn stythe, your statement that "the biwire bypasses the crossover" makes me think that you mean biamping, not biwiring. With biwiring the full-range signal coming in via the wire feeding the tweeter has to go through the high-pass filter section of the speaker's crossover network or the bass will reach and guickly burn out the tweeter; similarly the treble component full-range signal coming via the woofer wire has to be removed by the crossover's low-pass filter or it will be fed to the woofer and be wasted because of the mass of the woofer cone. In biamping the full-range signal is split by an external (and expensive) crossover network BEFORE being fed to the power amplifiers, of which there must be TWO for each channel if the speaker system is two-way, hence four power amps for stereo. (For five- or seven-channel HT, do the math and shudder.) The advantage is that the power amps' output goes directly to the speakers rather than to any internal crossover network the speaker may have - assuming it can be bypassed. But this theoretically superior method absolutely requires at least four power amplifiers. If there are only two, we are talking about biwiring, not biamping, and we're NOT bypassing the speaker crossover.
Of course a powered subwoofer system is essentially biamped if it's running in stereo, since either the sub's crossover or a unit like the 990 does split the full-range signal into two parts (the low bass and everything else) and sends the former to the subwoofer amp and the latter to the power amps (or power amp section if it's a receiver) to feed the main speakers, crossovers and all, plus whatever center and/or surround channels there are.
Clear, I hope?
BTW I would say, "as always in audio, if it sounds good...consider adding it to your list of financial desires and priorities. Where on the list is a matter outside the range of this discussion."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts