Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#29187 - 11/21/03 11:37 PM Cornwalls & Heresys with 770
BnB_Guy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I am compleating my upgrade to my system . Im thinking about the 950/770 combo for christmas and need some advice and reasurance that this is right for my combo. I liked my heresys so much i replaced them with a pair of cornwalls and moved the heresys to surrounds. My cornwalls give me the best overall sound ive ever heard . I currently use a pair of parasound monoblocks and they just sing...I have used an adcom amp as well but it seems duller and bass heavy ,not as much air either but im being really criticle here... I just need to hear from someone with a similar set up how their 770/950 works for them before i take the plunge. thease speakers are so fussy about what drives them ,i mean most sound good but great is really GREAT if ya know what i mean . so come on guys fill me in ....

#29188 - 11/22/03 02:47 PM Re: Cornwalls & Heresys with 770
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
I can't say this amp sounds great because I can't hear this amp, (oh, isn't that the way it's suppose to be?). This amp will not disappoint you. I am very skeptical about electronics' claims, but I can tell you that the 770 is a keeper.

#29189 - 11/23/03 12:22 PM Re: Cornwalls & Heresys with 770
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Just a thought, why not just get a 950 to use a pre/processor? That way, you keep your amps the same.

If you need more channels of amplification, I guess that's why you're interested in the combo, why not try out some tubes with those horns?? I know tube amps aren't the least expensive things out there, but those horns of yours were made for tubes.

Just a thought...

#29190 - 11/23/03 12:42 PM Re: Cornwalls & Heresys with 770
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
.....why not try out some tubes with those horns?? I know tube amps aren't the least expensive things out there, but those horns of yours were made for tubes.

Just a thought...

I can certainly second that. If you have horns, you need tubes. I bi-amplify with an active crossover and use an ultra-linear configuration tube amp for the woofers and a particularly sweet single ended triode amp for the high frequency horns. Although this amp only puts out 5 watts, the horns with efficiencies of 106db/watt are louder than can be tolerated while running less than one watt: if I gave 'em all five watts, I would be looking at something like 113db SPL from 600Hz on up!

You need tube amps.

#29191 - 11/24/03 10:22 AM Re: Cornwalls & Heresys with 770
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

BnB_Guy,

I gotta ask. What are you using for a centre speaker to match up with the Cornwall / Heresy combo?

I've always liked the old Klipsch stuff - Cornwalls included. The first time I heard them was in a huge room with the Stones' "Miss You" blasting from them. After that (around 1977) I bought a pair of industrial La Scalas for my high school gym. Drove them with a 110W Sansui integrated amp. It filled the place easily - and then some. Last I heard they were going strong well into the 90's - when someone managed to steal them (They were bolted to the ceiling/wall with massive metal support structure welded in the school shop so that was no small heist!)

Regards.

Jeff Mackwood

#29192 - 11/29/03 09:17 AM Re: Cornwalls & Heresys with 770
luisvila Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
I have the 770 with a dennon as the pre and the heresys and I love the way it sound. I'm heraing things that before the 770 I could not. I'm also planning to get the 950. do not think anymote go with it you will be surprise.

#29193 - 12/01/03 11:14 PM Re: Cornwalls & Heresys with 770
BnB_Guy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the reply's so far .... I have considered tubes and would love to hear them over components like mine but I have a few limitations. The options to listen in syracuse ny are sooo... limited .Ive read that tubes sound good over heritige klipsch though. But,I also know so freaking little about good tube components(almost nothing) I wouldnt even know where to begin or what to look for . I know that "tube watts" are different than "ss" watts but alot of my listening is still at concert and/or movie level so I still don't know what to look for in tube amps. Or if they would do what i need them to. I guess that outlaw would be a good safe choice, but I would love to be more sure. For the center channel question im using a polk cs350 i think . But any more input or experence would be great.... Sorry about the slow reply as ive been putting in alot of overtime lately ....thanks.....

#29194 - 12/01/03 11:58 PM Re: Cornwalls & Heresys with 770
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars

Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts