Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#29474 - 04/30/05 04:18 PM Ground loop isolator
bob1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I just purchased a used 770 and am experiencing a ground loop. I have identified the cable going to my set top box as the culprit. Called the cable co. and they re did the ground but the humm is still present. I see that Jensen sells a cable ground loop isolator for about 60 bucks and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it...or possibly another solution. Also having problems getting the 12v trigger to work with my pio 56txi. Do I need a special cable or will any cable with a mini jack do? Thanks for any input. smile

#29475 - 04/30/05 05:26 PM Re: Ground loop isolator
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Any cable with a mini jack should work fine. It only requires a mono cable, but I don't know any reason why a stereo cable wouldn't work equally well.

#29476 - 04/30/05 06:05 PM Re: Ground loop isolator
bob1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hmm...is there any particular procedure for hooking up the cable? The manual says to push the green button on the front panel to the on position and then attach the cable. It does not, however, specify if the main power button should be on or off or if the reciever should be on or off. I am guessing that they should both be off but this does not work and I am hesitant to make the connection while the units are powered up. I have already enabled the 12v trigger from the setup menu on the 56txi but when I plug in the cable I get sound only from the sub even though the 770 is on. The sub is the only thing running from the pio's amps, everything else is running through the 770. If I unplug the cable I get sound from all channels. Any suggestions?

#29477 - 04/30/05 06:51 PM Re: Ground loop isolator
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
I would call Outlaw's service line, as this is just the sort of thing they're happy to walk people through.

#29478 - 04/30/05 10:31 PM Re: Ground loop isolator
waynedunham Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Burlington, CT, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by bob1:
I just purchased a used 770 and am experiencing a ground loop. I have identified the cable going to my set top box as the culprit. Called the cable co. and they re did the ground but the humm is still present. I see that Jensen sells a cable ground loop isolator for about 60 bucks and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it...or possibly another solution. Also having problems getting the 12v trigger to work with my pio 56txi. Do I need a special cable or will any cable with a mini jack do? Thanks for any input. smile
Bob,

I'm using this unit which cured the hum in my LFE channel when I hooked up my cable to my AV system.

Mondial Magic

It's pricier than the one you asked about. I got a good deal on it used from Pat Sklenar. It squashed the audio hum in my LFE channel 100%.

#29479 - 05/01/05 08:14 AM Re: Ground loop isolator
Az Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta GA
Quote:
Originally posted by bob1:
I just purchased a used 770 and am experiencing a ground loop. I have identified the cable going to my set top box as the culprit.
That's the most common point for ground loops to enter the system. The Jensen isolator will cure the problem. It's a high bandwidth unit so it will pass hi def and digital signals with no problem, while still providing an enormous amount of noise rejection.

#29480 - 05/01/05 10:27 AM Re: Ground loop isolator
bob1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

That mondial unit looks like it's very well made and much more substantial then the jensen. I ordered a Dayton Isolation transformer for only ten bucks and will see if that is enough for me but if I lose pq I will probably go with the mondial. Thanks for the link.

#29481 - 05/02/05 05:32 PM Re: Ground loop isolator
sru Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX
I recently purchased a 950/770 combo and ended up with a hum from the cable connection. I grounded the cable splitter where the incoming cable signal is distributed between my cable modem and house TV distribution in my house's attic. I had a nearby water pipe available. A little wire and a couple of hose clamps.... cheap solution that worked for me. Hope this helps.

#29482 - 05/05/05 03:18 PM Re: Ground loop isolator
bob1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The cheap Dayton isolator worked as advertised. Passes hd signal with little or no signal loss. Very easy to use and had it installed and running in less than a minute.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts