A simple issue that is not unique to the 950, but I'm wondering how different people here handle it. I have been using the test tone in the 950 to calibrate my speakers, including my subwoofer. Right now, I've calibrated everything equally (80 db rather than 75, because I find the SPL much more variable on the edges. However, the problem was the same at 75 db calibration). I find that with most movies the bass at equal calibration seems slightly low. My theory is that it's a loudness effect--I'm not listening to movie soundtracks at the standard 85-105 db, so due to acoustic principles the bass seems quieter than it should.

Do most of you calibrate your subwoofer equal to the other speakers, or do you calibrate it at some raised level?

Let me note in advance that there's a myth on the internet that you're SUPPOSED to calibrate the subwoofer at 10 db higher than the other channels. This is based on a misunderstanding of the dolby digital spec--the LFE channel is recorded 10db down, so that the preamp can raise it to normal levels and increase dynamic range. But preamp test tones, to my knowledge, are still designed so that all channels are supposed to be calibrated to the same SPL.

As a function of the way the Rat Shack SPL meter works, if I calibrate the sub to equal levels, it's really calibrated a bit higher (as the meter ignores anything below about 32 db). But it still doesn't seem sufficient. Am I just used to unrealistic bass levels, or is this a function of the lower volume playback? What do you folks do to properly calibrate your systems?

Thanks for the advice!