I am in the process of planning my home theater system, and have come here seeking some information after hearing several positive references to Outlaw products (and subsequently, reading several positive reviews).

The first question is with regard to cost -- the capabilities of the 950/7100 combination clearly surpass the 1050, but what additional features about the combination justify the 3X price gap? I hear references to the value of "separates" vs. all-in-one units, but am left wondering what the true value is ... part of me thinks that having a single component could be more efficient because of fewer wires, less power, etc. Or is it simply a matter of upgradability?

The next question is about the number of channels. Basically, why 7? I can understand 6, as many people have 6 speakers (+ sub), but does that not leave an unused channel? I can't imagine it's terribly useful for the sub, as very few people who spend $1500+ on a processor/amp would have a sub to be satisfied with 100W of power. Am I missing something obvious? Can 4 channels be combined to 2 in order to provide additional power to say, front left/right in a 5.1 system?

The third question is somewhat similar in theme to the first -- what are the appreciable differences between this $1500 combination and a $1000 receiver from, say Onkyo which has essentially equivalent functionality. Is this again the value of the "separates"? Or does the quality of the Outlaw product actually make a difference in sound?

For my initial setup, I will probably be spending $2000-$3000 on 5.1 channels worth of "good bang for the buck" speaker technology . Is the 950/7100 combo a good match with this number / quality of speakers, or am I wasting a lot of the functionality of the combo here? What are the alternatives?

My sincere thanks in advance for your informed replies.